Monday, May 5, 2014

Live from the Seattle City Council's First Hearing on a Minimum Wage Hike!

Posted by on Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM

You can watch the hearing in progress here, but Anna Minard is down at City Hall and she's live-Tweeting the whole thing.

So far there's been pro-$15 testimony from Molly Moon, some equivocations from business leaders who were thought to be supporting the mayor's minimum wage compromise, and a new-ish talking point: "Fake $15."

It's cool that Molly agrees with most of the businesses on the committee and supports the proposal we came up with.

As for equivocations, support on all sides of the committee depends a lot on how the ordinance is actually written as the one page proposal is very vague. The devil is in the details.
Posted by Meinert on May 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
guerre 2
@1 is there a split between business owners who were on the committee, and those who were not? Are you&other members going to be an "business ambassador" for your plan?
Posted by guerre on May 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM · Report this
@2 - The business community is far from monolithic. Same for the labor community. So yes, there are all sorts of views on this plan in the business community. I've been supporting $15 mw for a long time, and many in the biz community think I'm crazy for it.

As for being an ambassador for this plan, I have yet to see the entire plan. The definitions are really important, so I'm waiting for the process to play out before I try to sell it. But it's better than the alternative the Mayor was proposing. There are issues with it of course, but that's compromise I guess.
Posted by Meinert on May 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
The compromise is $22 in 2022 and $15 in 2015 - I know The Economist showed it should be $27, but compromises are like that. Of course when CEOs make 333 times the lowest paid workers wage, what can you expect? (Source WSJ)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 5
@4
CEOs do a lot more work than wage workers and worked hard as hell to get there so of course they get more money. All the low wage workers who whine about this need to get better jobs and shut the hell up. Sorry, but I was a minimum wage worker too and I came from a poor family, but I worked my way up and never asked for the government to use force to make someone pay me more money.

I am so mad about this and the fact that it means I have to leave Seattle because my job probably won't stick around, the next Red Shirt asshole I see is going to deal with an irate man. Next single more I hear talking about working at McDonald's is going to hear the hard truth: BITCH SHOULD GET A BETTER JOB AND STOP FUCKING AND MAKING MORE BRATS!

If one is too weak to lift themselves out of poverty in a city with as many opportunities as Seattle they deserve poverty. That simple.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on May 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 6
"When people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic"-Benjamin Franklin.

Seattle is now officially a Trotskyite dictatorship, not a republic. I'm gonna move to the Republic of Texas and I would love for someone to explain how on Earth socialism will ever win there...
Posted by collectivism_sucks on May 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM · Report this
@ collectivism
You're making an a$$ of yourself man. Dont be so angry, don't call women bitches, and dont say crazy shit. Its not cute dude.
Posted by JonCracolici on May 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM · Report this
@5 - the fact that you believe this economy is some kind of highly attuned meritocracy is just unforgivably ignorant of the real world and how it works. CEOs did work hard. But by in large they were born into the right families first. Insert your "I know of one or 5 counter-examples" here, but the data simply don't lie. With few exceptions, luck and Generational wealth, NOT hard work are the determining factors in whether or not you're a CEO or similar later in life.
Posted by nullbull on May 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM · Report this
@5: How does libertarianism deal with private armies?
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 5, 2014 at 11:16 PM · Report this
Renton Mike 10
@5 & 6 Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.
Posted by Renton Mike on May 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM · Report this
@5 You clearly haven't spent much time in the company of the CEO class. Oh I'm not saying they don't work or that they don't work hard. I'm just saying they don't work harder then you.

I'm saying in fact that they don't work harder then you, or are on average smarter then you. In fact sadly more often then your utopian dreams could ever face, neither is true.

What I am saying is you are just as naive and gullible now as you were all those years ago when you swallowed the utopian communism crap you stumbled blindly into back then. In short your still stumbling blindly and stupidly.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on May 6, 2014 at 12:08 AM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 12
@11
Who the fuck said anything about a "utopia"? All I said was that less government all around would be better for everyone. Greece is proof of what happens when government gets too big.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on May 6, 2014 at 12:48 AM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 13
@8
There is just as much social mobility today as there was long ago. Source: http://www.economist.com/news/united-sta…

All you have to do is go to school for something marketable, work hard and don't be a drug addict or have kids before you can afford them. If one can't do those simple things than one deserves to live in poverty.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on May 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM · Report this