Friday, May 2, 2014

Whoa! I Like Courtney Love's New Jam

Posted by on Fri, May 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM

In the '90s, as drama and spectacle enveloped Courtney Love, she became a parody of "indie rock," so I gave up on her. Seriously, it was a HUGE bummer to see how much she enjoyed playing an "unpredictable junkie rock star" for TV cameras. Well, before the cameras, the band she fronted, Hole, was a cool and respected LA/Flipside band; their "Dicknail" 45 and the first Hole LP, Pretty On The Inside, remain indie/underground canon. This new track, "Wedding Day," sounds like nod to her former sound. Really, it's way more raw than anything I've heard from her in the last 20 years, AND the guitar line sounds like it's inspired by the melodic side of early-'80s SoCal hardcore. Fuck yeah, Ms. Love!!

The flip...er, "the other A-side" - "You Know My Name," has a bit more of a pop-punk feel, but it's pretty good, too.

Thalia Zedek >> Courtney Love
Posted by mint chocolate chip on May 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM · Report this
Keekee 2
Indie/underground canon? Cool & respected by music critics perhaps, but no else gave a fuck 'till she hooked up with Kurt.
Posted by Keekee on May 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 3
Courtney Love has always been a talent and star in her own right.

"Live Through This" earned its rightful place in the Punk/Grunge canon many times over.

And the more anthem rock "Celebrity Skin" is as chillingly apocalyptic as any classic band's best effort. The standouts are Malibu and Reasons To Be Beautiful and Use Once & Destroy.

Nobody's Daughter shows that as a female rock singer she can belt out songs in the vein of Joan Jett.

I don't follow TMZ style news and so only occasionally hear about the Lilo style adventures, but I have spent a lot of time listening to Hole and Love and find it all brilliant.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

#2

Kurt Cobain was Jesse Bernstein with a jazz band.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM · Report this
owlish 5
meh. I find it a bit dull. I do dig older material from Hole, but this just doesn't hold up as well. It feels somehow watered down.
Posted by owlish on May 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
lucida c. 6
@2 When Courtney & Kurt met, her album (Pretty on the Inside) was outselling his (Bleach). People gave a fuck.

I was a fan of Hole's first two albums and was bummed when Patty got removed from Celebrity Skin. I'm surprised by how much I like this new track and glad to hear she's not neglecting her screamy roots - which was always better than the pop stuff.
Posted by lucida c. on May 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
I agree Mike and yes Hole was an important and talented band. Great sound and sounded great live, unless the widow was totally wasted. I never understood all the hate directed at Courtney. I liked her music and the rest well too me it looked like some mental illness drug convo.
Posted by SeMe on May 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Whoa sounds like somebody found a song Kurt wrote in an old box she forgot about. I guess if she hadn't killed him she'd probably have had lots more hits...
Posted by econoline on May 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM · Report this