Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Man Runs a Sub-5-minute Mile While Downing 4 Beers

Posted by on Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Yeah, this may seem like a fratboy stunt, but have you run a 5-minute mile while not drinking beer? Thought not. James Nielsen bust out a 4:57 mile while chugging a can of the stuff before completing each of four laps of the track. Granted, it was Budweiser, but still… It’s a remarkable feat. (I didn't know this before I saw this digg.com post, but Beer Mile is a real thing and Nielsen just broke the record for it.) My best mile time is… yes, 4:57, stone-cold sober, in high school, so a toast to Nielsen—preferably with something higher quality than Bud.

seatackled 1
Yes I have.

And while running with all that freshly consumed liquid in you is no mean feat, he didn't run a mile; he ran four quarter miles with a rest between.
Posted by seatackled on April 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Good to see my teammate from college make the news. Go Tritons!
Posted by UCSD Alum! on April 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM · Report this
delirian 3
I'm impressed. Now can the 4:30 beer mile be broken? Is human physiology even capable of it?
Posted by delirian on April 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM · Report this
@1 Chugging a beer in six seconds is not exactly "rest."
Posted by Dave Segal on April 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
I used to smoke cigarettes while running my yearly 2 mile physical test in the Army. I didn't set any records, but I always finished below the minimum listed time.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on April 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Dougsf 6
He's no Doc Ellis or Jeff Phillips, but very impressive in its own right.
Posted by Dougsf on April 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Wow. He did a 4:21 mile not including the stops for a beer. Amazing. Last quarter was 63.
Posted by David from Chicago on April 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
WWRBD?

What Would Roger Bannister Drink?
Posted by CPN on April 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 9
Okay, the 4:57 while chugging beer is impressive... but did it have to be Budweiser? Blech. At least pick a decent beer instead of that swill.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Many eons ago when I was first in the military and during basic training, there was a fellow recruit, about the most unhealthiest dude I'd ever observed, and boasted of previously only driving around the country, while chugging endless amounts of six-packs, who would consistently run 4-minute miles during PT.

Unfrigging believable! I'd inquired of him his previous training regiment to which he replied:

"None!"
Posted by sgt_doom on April 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM · Report this
Many years ago, there was a half-marathon in Wausau, Wisconsin, where four dumb ex-high school cross country runners decided to stop at every bar along the race's route and drink one beer at each bar. We found out there were A LOT of bars along the route, but we did stop at each one (and surprise a lot of bartenders along the way when we said we needed our beers FAST because we were in a race!). No problem, except that one of us tripped over a parking curb at the 13 mile mark near the finish line and broke his fall with his face. He didn't notice.
Posted by Beer and running: Good! on April 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM · Report this
tainte 12
budweiser is the key to this feat. he's running for the bathroom.
Posted by tainte on May 1, 2014 at 5:23 AM · Report this