Friday, April 25, 2014

FEDS: D’Souza Thinks Criticizing Obama Gives Him Immunity"

Posted by on Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM

TPM:

Dinesh D'Souza is "exploiting" his history of criticizing President Obama in a "baseless attempt to avoid criminal prosecution," federal prosecutors said in a court filing on Thursday. The office of Preet Bharara, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, urged the court to deny the conservative author's efforts to get his case dismissed, and said D'Souza's lawyer's suggestion that his client was being selectively targeted was "without merit."

"[W]hat defendant seeks through his motion is de facto immunity for making fraudulent election contributions that the defendant all but concedes violate federal criminal law," prosecutors said. "The Court should not entertain such an attempt."

I kinda hope D'Souza gets away with this—because then I have nothing to worry about if Rick Santorum is elected president in 2016.

Phoebe in Wallingford 1
I know people think I'm obtuse, but I don't understand why that negates your fear of Santorum winning the presidency. I don't think he's even decided to run.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on April 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Sabotage 2
Because D'Souza is saying he should be immune to all criminal allegations on the basis of his criticism of Obama. If he gets away with it, then Dan can do literally anything if Santorum gets elected.
Posted by Sabotage on April 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM · Report this
delirian 3
Did Obama actually officially criticize him? This is important. It was recently determined that the sexual assault cases in the military couldn't result in discharge due to the fact that Obama demanded it. I haven't seen an official statement from Obama on this case, so it is probably baseless. Here is a reference for what happened with the military sexual assault cases:

Posted by delirian on April 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this
AirBuddy 4
Hoooooo you'd still probably be audited in perpetuity like Warhol was for his "Vote McGovern" posters.
Posted by AirBuddy on April 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 5
Oh, gawd. Now I have to google what Douche'Souza was charged with? We can't all remember every celebri-crime that crosses the intertubez. How about a half-sentence reminder next time? Like a mini Youth Pastor Watch.

Not that Douche'Souza is a celebrity.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
skidmark 6
Seems the only times I've noticed U.S. Attorney Bharara it's because he is taking on an other South Asian. Its always like POW BLAM right in their sense of entitlement.
Posted by skidmark on April 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Ballard Pimp 7
Another D'Souza flake-out. I hope his cellmate doesn't like smartass whiners.
Posted by Ballard Pimp on April 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Is he the one who bragged about being at Yale(?) and, with the assistance of some woman who is now on talk radio, outed as many closeted classmates as possible to their parents by telephone?
Posted by vennominon on April 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM · Report this
@8

Yes, same guy. I don't know anything about a woman in talk radio, though it doesn't sound surprising.

Posted by Fup on April 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 10
@7 Do people actually do time for campaign funding violations? That would be sweet!

Based, as usual, on zero actual knowledge, I'm betting on a relatively insignificant fine (which he'll probably offset by donations like that assclown Zimmerman, or increased speaking fees as a "martyr") and probation.

Assuming the case even wraps up in the next couple of years, I'm not optimistic that the Feds would be willing to give him a real sentence, knowing that it would lead to an endless, howling shitstorm of indignation from the reich-wing media. Basically legitimate and non-partisan inquiries by the IRS into campaings were shut down by the same mechanism. Don't see why they'd be expected to grow a spine now over one little fourth-rate criminal shill for the 1%.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Kevin_BGFH 11
(1) You do not have to worry about Rick Santorum being elected President. He will never, ever win a nationwide popular election.

(2) Should he choose to run, Rick Santorum will break the GOP's general trend of nominating the previous contested election's #2 candidate. He will not receive the GOP nomination.
Posted by Kevin_BGFH http://biggayfrathouse.typepad.com/blog/ on April 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 12
@1 I don't necessarily think you're obtuse, but I do sometimes wonder if the more you knew about Ruth Warrick's political bent, the less inclined you would be to use her as your avatar.
Posted by Fred Casely on April 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 13
@12: I am well aware of Ruth Warrick's championing of democratic causes, opening up social issues in concert with All My Children creator Agnes Nixon.
I used to have the handle 'Phoebe on NE 79th' on Slog, when I moved to Wallingford, the play on names was too hard to resist.
I could see how you think of me as more conservative that Ruth Warrick. But remember, the Democratic party (except for women's and social issues) in the 1980's in Pine Valley was more conservative in some respects than today.
But certainly I am closer to my avatar than, say, Pol Pot is to his.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on April 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 14
@13: I've always quite quite enjoyed your posts.

And your handle and avatar always made me think of "Iphigenia in Wallingford."
Posted by Dr. Z on April 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 15
@3: President Obama is not the commander in chief of Dinesh D'Souza.
Posted by kk in seattle on April 26, 2014 at 6:54 AM · Report this
Fred Casely 16
@13 fair enough on all counts. Though a case could be made that Bailo is as good a comparison as Pol Pot.
Posted by Fred Casely on April 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Knat 17
I heard him interviewed on NPR over a year ago, and I was struck by how smug and disinterested in facts this little shit was. The NPR interviewer was doing a damn fine job of trying to dog him for direct answers, which he refused to give. I'm glad he's finally getting the legal shit kicked out of him.
Posted by Knat on April 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Some people do go to jail for campaign violations, especially if they go to great lengths to hide it. Of course, usually they repurpose the money for their personal use (think of Jessie Jackson's congressman son and his wife, the son now in jail and the wife to go to jail when he gets out). But in this particular case, D'Souza may very well see some jail time. Maximum of two years for the straw donor violation and maximum of five years for the false statements to the FEC. Being famous for his deceitfulness could very well make him a target, especially for a US attorney notorious for being hard-nosed.
Posted by Lindie on April 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM · Report this