Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gassing Jews, Lynching Blacks, Napalming Vietnamese Girls, Interviewing Me On HBO—All The Same Thing Pretty Much

Posted by on Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Laurie Higgins of the Illinois Family Institute asks:

"Why view photos from Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen? Why view photos of lynchings? Why view photos of aborted babies? Why view the photo of the young napalmed Vietnamese girl?"

For the same reason you should watch this video of my "loathsome" appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher last July:

Many conservatives do not fully realize the evil nature of the enemy we fight. And merely describing it does not adequately convey how profoundly wicked it is. Without a fuller apprehension of the nature and extent of the evil, many Christians are complacent and silent. Often it is only an encounter with such evil that generates a proper response from Christians.

Watching me on Maher = an encounter with evil, says Higgins, on a par with viewing photographs of concentration camps and lynchings. But some Christians don't want to watch Bill Maher talking to the "infamous homosexual 'anti-bullying' bully, Dan Savage." Even some dues-paying members of the Illinois Family Institute, an SPLC-certified anti-gay hate group, were upset with Higgins for urging them to watch me on Maher. This reluctance on the part of even some Christians to look evil square in the face—whether it takes the form of genocide, lynchings, or gay dudes on HBO cracking jokes—causes Higgins to despair:

"What dupes and cowards Christians are."

Not all Christians are dupes and cowards. But the ones who follow Laurie Higgins sure are.

Pope Peabrain 1
She's right about the dupe part. There are people being duped into giving her their money.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on April 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM · Report this
psbirch 2
Whereas I thought you were a little too tame on that appearance...
Posted by psbirch on April 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
Coincidentally I have a list of about 50 people who I am not sure if they are good or bad people. Now I can put Laurie Higgins in the bad pile. Thanks Dan, the work you do is invaluable.

Signed,
Santa Claus
Posted by dnt trust me on April 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM · Report this
seatackled 4
She sure uses the word homoerotic a lot.
Posted by seatackled on April 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Ophian 5
Ugh. Any person who goes around branding others as Evil has a problem, and is the problem.

Perhaps I am naive or lucky, but I have never met an Evil person. I have seen massive damage done by ignorance. I believe there are those who are sociopaths [who I would say are less than fully human, but not evil]. But to say that a person is motivated, composed of, and fully characterized by Evil is pernicious.

It is a way of denying the humanity of the other, of making a blanket dismissal of their worth, and--in a binary God v. Satan worldview--categorizing them as the enemy who must be destroyed. Such thinking is one of the most destructive ignorances I know.

[Great appearance Dan. If that is what evil is like, sign me up.]
Posted by Ophian on April 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 6
something something speck something brother something log something something own eye.

iirc
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on April 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Profoundly Wicked sounds like a fempunk band. I like it.
Posted by wxPDX on April 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM · Report this
seatackled 8
Turn the other cheek, Dan. Be generous and send her a couple of passes to Hump.
Posted by seatackled on April 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM · Report this
biffp 9
The three seconds of Grover Norquist's face in that video(2:56-2:59) are so hilarious. Pretty good line.
Posted by biffp on April 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 10
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

-Nietzsche
Posted by Urgutha Forka on April 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM · Report this
If you define evil as harming on others, than Christians are the evil party here.

Dan isn't spending millions of dollars to prevent loving couples from marrying, Dan isn't assassinating doctors.

Dan isn't threatening women's health care, Dan doesn't support the party that has assisted the oligarchs in murdering the middle class in this country.

Nor are homosexuals, as a group, supporting any of these evils.

But Christians are.
Posted by judybrowni on April 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
seatackled 12
@6

The way you wrote your post helped me to figure out what iirc means. (No one ever offered to google it for me.)
Posted by seatackled on April 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM · Report this
"Anything is possible, for God. I'm going to keep inseminating my husband and keep my fingers crossed."

What was the line you were going for after that? Bill cuts you off, but you're saying something about Catholics.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this
biffp 14
Kurt Eichenwald had a very strong post about Republicans using Nazi comparisons this way. No speech is comparable to the atrocities committed against mankind at Bergen-Belsen. Ripping your gold tooth out to save your sibling and then dying of infection is not like watching a five-minute interview.

Posted by biffp on April 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
delirian 15
I'm surprised Laurie Higgins thinks people should watch that segment. Everyone who does will become gay! This is what happens when we allow a civil discussion of gay rights.
Posted by delirian on April 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM · Report this

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on April 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM · Report this
@16 The Bible is full of cryptic phrases that can be interpreted on the spot to lend credence* to whatever the speaker is arguing. Makes it a great book to base a religion on. Do you care to specify what you mean in unambiguous language?
Posted by wxPDX on April 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 18
Just who did the killing at Bergen-Belsen?
Who lynched blacks in the South?
Who, in all likelihood, napalmed a Vietnamese girl?
Who, in all likelihood, aborts most babies in America?

Christians, Ms. Higgins, Christians. Study your history.
Posted by kk in seattle on April 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Damn, Dan. No one rocks a pink shirt like you do.

Bible thumpers, fuck the hell off.
Posted by kwodell on April 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM · Report this
sperifera 20
It's always important to remember that there is a big difference between Christians and "Christians".
Posted by sperifera on April 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM · Report this
@11 Bravo. However, I wish to reclaim a little corner of Christendom from the "Christians" of which you speak.

Despite what they think, Christ doesn't belong to social conservatives, reactionaries, bigots, and homophobes. In fact, if He could meet them today, He'd slap them fucking silly. And, if there's a God, and an afterlife, their wretched pompous, self-righteous souls are in for a big surprise.

Whether or not anyone believes in God makes not one whit of difference, but anyone purporting to believe in Him had better realize that there are people who don't, who are doing a far better job of following how Christ (or Moses, Mohammed, or any other religious figure) told us to behave than they are.

As for Dan, he's a saint in my book. Looking forward to seeing him at the early show on Friday!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on April 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
@17: What, exactly, they will be filled with is an exercise left to the imagination.
Posted by Chase on April 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
This Higgins bitch sounds suspiciously like Seattleblahs.
Posted by Pol Pot on April 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM · Report this
@5 I have met evil people, but I was playing Dungeons and Dragons at the time. Our local paladin was sick, so we couldn't detect their alignment and they got a jump on us. Bastards.
Posted by ansuzmannaz on April 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM · Report this
bripatrick 25
She gives off a crazy Bachmann vibe. I'm just going to assume her husband is ultra gay.
Posted by bripatrick on April 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Laurie Higgins:
Nucking Futs pulls off a Cunning Stunt.
Posted by TampaDink on April 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM · Report this
venomlash 27
@24: Should have had a Miraluka in the party.
Posted by venomlash on April 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Partly Cloudy 29
You stand up to bigots, Dan? How about standing up to fight for the little people by raising the minimum wage to $15 in Seattle? Business people will adapt, and our society will be better off. Otherwise, fuck you.
Posted by Partly Cloudy on April 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Partly Cloudy 30
How is income inequality and the fight to raise the minimum wage a lesser issue than fags like me getting married?
Posted by Partly Cloudy on April 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM · Report this
Partly Cloudy 31
I, for one, have a hard time checking my idealism at the door for a paycheck. Or a share in a business. So that I can continue to fuck over the poor so that I can have a pretty house and husband and celebrity life.
Posted by Partly Cloudy on April 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 33
31, I agree. I'm shocked and insulted that Dan didn't walk on water, nor did any of my water turn to wine. The nerve!
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on April 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM · Report this
People like her make me ashamed to come out of the closet as a Lutheran. The only thing that makes it ok is the knowlege that I am not religious, I have faith. I was taught from little up that you live your faith and Jesus himself did not associate with the pious but with those who were the outcasts of society because they needed his love and wisdom the most.
Dan good for you! You stood up for your beliefs and did your best to get your point across with humor and aplomb.
Posted by bxtorr19 on April 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM · Report this
bripatrick 35
@Partly Cloudy, you do realize Dan isn't your elected official, right? Call your Senator, JFC.
Posted by bripatrick on April 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM · Report this