Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Saturday Morning News

Posted by on Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

This Has Nothing To Do With Midterm Elections At All: The Obama administration says it won't decide whether to approve the Keystone XL oil pipeline until after November 4. If they approve it, they'll incur the feeble wrath of progressives and environmentalists. If they don't, they'll be attacked as job killers by the right. Because it's definitely going to create tons of jobs.

Advisors Close to Citibank Rushed President Clinton Into Repealing Major Banking Regulation: At one point, they gave him three days to throw out the Glass-Steagall Act, which mandated that banks separate their commercial and investment sides and might have prevented the 2008 financial meltdown.

Drone Strike Kills 16: The Yemenese government says it carried out the strike, as opposed to the United States (though it has lied about that before), allegedly killing 13 members of Al Qaeda and 3 civilians.

Shooting Last Night in the Central District: A man with life-threatening injuries was taken to Harborview Medical Center.

Microhousing Regulations Proposed to Council: New rules drawn up by the Department of Planning and Development would "prohibit the complexes in single-family zoned neighborhoods, require approval from a design review board, as well as increase the quantity of required parking and garbage collection." But the standards would apply to new units, not existing ones.

State Cancels Timber Sale Near Oso: They want to take a "second look" to make sure clear-cutting the area won't pose any safety risks to the public. Nothing like a deadly mudslide to put the pressure on regulators to do their goddamn jobs.

Trouble in the King County Sheriff's Office: Three deputies are caught up in an investigation into allegations that one used his access to a database to vet clients for his wife's sex work, while others tipped him off to the investigation before it started.

Do As I Say, Not As I Do: City University of New York is going to pay preeminent liberal economist Paul Krugman $25,000 a month over two semesters to do virtually nothing. That's more than quadruple New York City’s median household income.

Sakura-Con!!!! Check out this photo gallery of bitchin' cosplayers. Here are the characters I recognize: the Avatar dude, Mikasa Ackerman, Totoro, Goku, Vivi from Final Fantasy IX, Mario, Kamen Rider, Satsuki Kuriyn, Harime Nui, Nonon Jakuzure, Ash, Weedle, Nurse Joy, Brock, Team Rocket, Brienne of Tarth, King Joffrey, Cersei, Hatsune Miku, Sailor Moon, and Master Chief. Chime in with the ones you know in the comments.

While we're on the nostalgia tip, who else watched Captain Planet back in the day?

1 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Phoebe in Wallingford 2
I think it would be accurate to say that essentially, the lessons and fixes made after October 1929 to our financial system withered away like old caulking.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on April 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM · Report this
@ 1 I dare you to not come up with, in just the last week, "white culture" at work as far as shootings, violence, robberies etc. Seriously, go for it you fucking racist. If you get a little more curious go back two weeks. Then three and so on. It's a social and economic problem, chief. Yeah, white guy here and I do not view this in any way indicative of "black culture".
Posted by ortolan on April 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 4
Thanks for mentioning the Krugman deal. It will soon be forgotten. And the fucked up system will continue to roll along merrily.
Posted by dnt trust me on April 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM · Report this
@1 sucks.
Posted by their name is bigot on April 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@4 It sounds like what CUNY was paying Paul Krugman for was a product endearment. They wanted Krugman to be associated w/ their Luxembourg Income Study Center so that people who think Paul Krugman is cool will also think the center is cool. McDonald's does much the same thing when it hires LeBron James to do a commercial. The difference is CUNY is only offering Krugman $225,000. LeBron James' product endorsements are worth millions. The whole concept of celebrity endorsements seems a bit silly to me, but compared to what normally got on in the world of advertising and public relations this doesn't seem all that outrageous.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on April 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 7
@6
Hmmm, I'll take your word. I was just jumping on the bandwagon of esteemed journalist Ansel. He is so lovingly empathetic with those of the median household.
Posted by dnt trust me on April 19, 2014 at 11:43 AM · Report this
My bad. I'm sure the Central District shooter was just a beloved chef down on his luck.
Posted by Djdjjddjf on April 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM · Report this
I know plenty of poor people who don't commit crimes. Guess what? They weren't raised on ghetto/"hip-hop" culture, either.
Posted by Fucjcjcj on April 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 10
krugman and everything he's ever said are completely invalidated. he's dead to me now.
Posted by Max Solomon on April 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM · Report this
If it's about poverty how come it's black people you have to be careful for in the ID and not poor Chinese immigrants?
Posted by Funny that on April 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM · Report this
beatgrl 12
I wonder what the Washington state budget is for timber harvest regulators at DNR anyway...hmmm. With all the revenue we have flowing I'm sure they are fully staffed.
Posted by beatgrl on April 19, 2014 at 9:59 PM · Report this
As far as "don't do as I do, do as I say", Krugman's $$ from the university has nothing to do with what he's talked about for the last x years. He's an academic, not an accountant. If he'd turned it down, would that have helped people making minimum wage richer? Is he actually hurting people by doing this? If the university did not give him this sinecure, would it have donated the money to poor people? Does him accepting this have any effect on the income disparity in America? @10, if you can truthfully answer yes to any of those, then you've got a reason to be so emotional about it.
Posted by sarah70 on April 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM · Report this
@13 well if he can take it, why can't other 1%'ers take theirs?
Posted by Sugartit on April 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM · Report this