and Drunks

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Searching for Sin Dawg

Posted by on Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Found: one lonely Sin Dawg at QFC
  • Found: one lonely Sin Dawg at QFC

Have you tried a Dave's Killer brand Sin Dawg? Have you? Whatever you think about the founder's past and present troubles with the law (if you click that link, make sure you make it until the sixth paragraph), Dave does indeed make some killer bread, but the Sin Dawg is especially special—made even more coveted, no doubt, because I don't come across them that often. I check for the Dawg every time I'm in the Killer Breads section, and if I'm lucky, I will maaaaybe find one. Just one, laying there in the bread pound, waiting for a good home. Occasionally there will be a small litter of them next to the Peace Bombs, but that is rare, and often times they just aren't carried.

To be fair, the Sin Dawg does not look awesome. It's a long brown tube of gooey bread with sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds all over it—a "100% whole grain organic cinnamon-sugar bread roll" the package states. Seeded hippie bread rolled around sweet cinnamon goo? I initially thought it would be yuck, especially since I'm more of a sugar purist, preferring to keep my sweets out of the "attempted healthy" zone (looking at you carob chips), but damn, Sin Dawgs rule!

The goo-to-bread ratio is just right, and the seeds add necessary texture without tasting like that summer you bought Tevas. The cinnamon and sugar are deliciously grainy—I know "grainy" isn't the best food adjective, but again, you gotta get some texture in there with all that squishy bread. You can cut it into slices, or just gnaw on it like a vaguely-obscene-looking burrito in the privacy of your own home.

AirBuddy 1
So good but so $$$$$
Posted by AirBuddy on April 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Nobody wants to pay the price for it so we get lots of it at the food bank I volunteer with. Get it there.
Posted by Why not? The poor folks think its ugly too on April 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
take the meds, dave
Posted by Max Solomon on April 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 4
@3 - Poor Dave :( I can't believe he punched a cutout of himself!
Posted by Emily Nokes on April 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 5
It looks disgusting, like a dog turd in a baggie. But it sounds delicious. If I ever see one, I'll have to try it.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 6
Posted by Fred Casely on April 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Makes me feel sad that he punched his own cut out. I hope Dave gets the help he needs, his bread is fantastic! Also, Nokes, try Met Market if you are in West Seattle, I used to always see it there.
Posted by kerri harrop http://generalbonkers.com on April 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 8
Ms. Nokes, I was looking around during the Whigs show for your yellow hair but never saw it - did you wind up going?
Posted by Max Solomon on April 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM · Report this
a slice of this makes the perfect pre-workout snack and is way cheaper than an energy bar!
Posted by mtnsky on April 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM · Report this
@6 'I'm just disappointed to find out that anyone would still use "killer" as an adjective to modify something which is not actually homicidal.'

Just because it hasn't been proven in a court of law as of yet...
Posted by Benefit Of The Doubt on April 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Madison Market seems to have them fairly consistently. I've never bumped into them at any other location that sells Dave's Killer products.
Posted by penglish1 on April 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 12
By far, the best food product I've ever salvaged from the Bumbershoot press cave.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on April 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM · Report this