and Drunks

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Will You Buy Google Glass Today?

Posted by on Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Google Glass is available for sale today only. It only costs $1500! And you don't just get a pair of awkward, ugly glasses with that price. You also get:

Cable and Charger
Mono Earbud
Pouch
Your Choice of Shade or Frame

When I tried Glass at the tryouts in SoDo a couple weeks ago, I found myself squinting a whole lot, muttering, and making weird fingering motions at my temples. Who wouldn't want to be part of that experience? So I ask you, Slog:

yelahneb 1
I'm imagining the bins at Value Village and RE-PC full of these things in 10 years, while out on the sidewalk, iPads crunch under our feet.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM · Report this
very bad homo 2
Never in 100000000 years.
Posted by very bad homo on April 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
I'm surprised there's even one yes vote, but someone always has to troll.
Posted by originalcinner on April 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
Curious how well these were do. I can't remember a product launch since the Segway where such a high-profile, cutting-edge gadget was tanked by a collective sense of dork. Or maybe it's just a solution to a problem no one has. Google glass could be either or both as well.
Posted by Dougsf on April 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
rob! 5
WiS is gonna get some and scuff them all up so it looks like he's been "alpha testing" for the last coupla years.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM · Report this
I'm not sure I need Google glasses, but even if I were convinced I'm going with the rule about cars, don't buy a new model the first year it's out. Give them a couple of years to work out the quirks. That said, I really don't see a need for Google glasses.
Posted by percysowner on April 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM · Report this
fletc3her 7
I will beta test one if they send it free.
Posted by fletc3her on April 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM · Report this
fletc3her 8
@2 Shouldn't that be, never in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years?
Posted by fletc3her on April 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Dougsf 9
@8: x10
Posted by Dougsf on April 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
@4,

The Segway was far worse with the initial secrecy and hype about how amazing it was going to be. And then it was revealed, and it turned out to be an exceptionally expensive scooter.
Posted by keshmeshi on April 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Aaron 11
@5 FTW
Posted by Aaron on April 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 12
@4,

To be clear, I still think Glass is stupid, but it is actually useful. The Segway is useful for parking enforcement and not much else.
Posted by keshmeshi on April 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
brandon 13
It needs a lot of work before I'd even consider trying it out, let alone buying one.

Android Wear seems more promising. Especially the Moto 360 watch, since it looks like an actual watch and not some Syfy channel space opera prop.
Posted by brandon on April 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 14
I can get a sweet teevee for that price. Besides, they aren't even stylish. Let me know when they're $59.99.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on April 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
Now we'll see what Google's, er, unusual marketing campaign of finding the thousand most irritating dingleberries in the universe to wear them around has accomplished.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
Nope. Tried the Alpha, glad the battery is smaller, but only Glassholes will buy it
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM · Report this
rob! 17
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Wow, most unanimous Slog poll ever! Apparently, there is something that unites all of us in this political world of monorails, viaducts, bag taxes and $15/hr minimum wages.
Posted by decidedlyodd on April 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM · Report this
@17: Well played.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
It's quite likely that if another company (Apple for example) creates a slicker, less conspicuous design, brings the price down and markets it right, consumers will buy them and next thing you know half the population will be walking around with these ugly Mass Effect-style visors. I find the scenario nightmarish, and I hope I'm underrating the average consumer. I would like this to be a dead end.
Posted by Jizzlobber on April 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
seattlestew 21
It's the annual Asshole Sale!
Posted by seattlestew on April 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Kinison 22
If I was paralyzed from the neck down, yeah I would buy one, or wait in line for someone who was.

In 10 years, you wont even be able to detect google glass, the cameras and SoC will be so small, it will be mostly assembled into the frame via 3D printers. Its going to enrage all the haters, they wont be able to tell the horn rimed glassholes from horn rimmed hipster assholes.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on April 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Dougsf 23
It's like They Live, except everyone can see it BUT the dude with the glasses.

@10, Ok, Google glass are probably more useful to more people, but I'm still curious what effect the market's rarely-seen cousin, the Invisible Hand of Shame, has on this launch.

Also, anyone else see the web-ad where they have one of the models wearing them in her wood shop? She's only sanding, but the idea of power tools and web browsing, just...hahahahahahahaha.
Posted by Dougsf on April 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Fnarf 24
@2, oh, trust me, we'll be able to tell. There's something about a Glasshole.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM · Report this
I played around with a pair of Glasses that my hacker friend (definitely not an asshole) had acquired. It was a boring, awkward device. All the awkward feeling of talking to Siri in public combined with a vague headache from having my eyes pulled in opposite directions. I couldn't understand why my friend had wasted the money on them.
Posted by wxPDX on April 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 26
@22 wake me when we get those, my guess is we'll develop bio-electric contacts that do that here at the UW fairly soon
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM · Report this
I'm in mortal fear of someone wearing Glass and driving. UGH
Posted by iseult on April 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM · Report this
theophrastus 28
why shouldn't we all respond to anyone wearing these things as if there were a video-camera-with-reporters-microphone pointing at us? if these things really catch on, then i think it's reflective carnival masks for the rest of us.
Posted by theophrastus on April 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM · Report this
GlibReaper 29
There's a third option: 'I already have Glass, you insensitive dolt.'

Yes, I've printed a privacy cover for the lens and will wear it dutifully around all of you hypocritical paranoiacs.

Your smartphones have an exploitable radio firmware that's a far greater privacy concern than these spex. Try [DROPOUTJEEP] on your favourite search engine.
Posted by GlibReaper on April 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
GlibReaper 30
@27 I'd be more worried about the SideLyftuber drivers poking at their smartphones as they whiz around the streets. Have you seen anyone driving with Glass yet?
Posted by GlibReaper on April 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Glasshole spotted, complete with victim complex.
Posted by Jizzlobber on April 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM · Report this
@31
You also get:

Cable and Charger
Mono Earbud
Pouch
Your Choice of Shade or Frame
Insufferable sense of victimhood
Posted by wxPDX on April 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 33
@3: Starr probably has a Google News filter looking for these articles.
Posted by undead ayn rand on April 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM · Report this