Tuesday, April 15, 2014

In Praise of the International District's Link Station

Posted by on Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Anyone who has tried to access the raised platform at the Mount Baker Station feels like they have entered the land of the giants. The human-scale does not exist there. You have to walk forever, rise up the slim escalator forever, and forever miss the train that was just arriving. But go to the station in the ID and you find access to the sunken platform on both sides, not one like at MBS. You leave the street and enter it with the greatest of ease. Even if you miss the train, you do not blame design. You blame bad luck. And it's far easier to recover from something that results from bad luck rather than bad design.

IMG_20140415_082523.jpg

Late for work again, huh Charles?
Posted by bigyaz on April 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM · Report this
Every time I transfer between bus and train at Mt Baker, I'm surprised at how it's more of a pain than it needs to be. Ditto for the train connection at SeaTac. I'm fortunate enough to be able-bodied, but it's painful to imagine how either of those connections would be for someone with reduced mobility.
Posted by doceb on April 15, 2014 at 9:10 AM · Report this
I really don't like the ID station that much.

It has this half open air, half covered feeling that reminds me of an "El" station in NYC. I always feel like it could rain on me any second.

I like the cozy comfort and bright lights of University Station much better.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on April 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 4
@3 the totally different feelings of each station is the best thing about it, actually. For how much I love the NYC subway system, a lot of the stations feel the same. To me, Westlake feels huge but inviting at once -- doors and paths lead everywhere, and the palate of colors is soft. University feels cool and modern, and you get the feeling of how deep underground you are. Pioneer Square feels old, which is I guess the point. The ID station, especially on sunny and nice days, is a joy, because it's so lit up with broken sunlight.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on April 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM · Report this
@2…the bus to train connection at Mt. Baker is horrible, but, it's a generally flat and covered 5 minute walk from the terminal doors to the train at Sea-Tac…I would hardly call that any sort of a hurdle.
Posted by shotsix on April 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM · Report this
@4: I love ID too, the sunlight as you mentioned, but also the giant art on the walls.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM · Report this
I love the giant advertisements in some of the stations. Nothing makes me feel civic pride like helping the highest bidder cram their message down everyone's throat.
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on April 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Mike Smith 10
MBS has a platform on both sides, not just one.
Posted by Mike Smith on April 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM · Report this