Sunday, April 13, 2014

Green Sunday: Hanging Your Laundry

Posted by on Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Doing laundry today? This is how you should dry your clothes. It is nothing but obscene to use a drying machine on a sun-splendid day like this...

IMG_20140413_125615.jpg
  • Charles Mudede

As for those who have apartments, check out how they do it in Singapore in the excellent movie Ilo Ilo.

yelahneb 1
"Continue reading" yields nothing

Hulk smash
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM · Report this
It's Charles' imperatives, "you should," etc., that just make me roll my eyes and discontinue reading.
Posted by why should I do what Charles says to do? on April 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 3
On days like this I always put the sheets and bedspreads out on the line. This evening when I go to bed, everything will smell sunny.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 4
Here's a nightmare scenario for you Charles: What if a murder of crows shits on them?
Posted by Gern Blanston on April 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM · Report this
rob! 5
Fabulous drying weather in large parts of the country:

Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM · Report this
On any given day, there a probably a million clothes-drying poles projecting from high-rise towers in Singapore. It amzes me there aren't more deaths and injuries from poles that are accidentally dropped.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on April 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM · Report this
emma's bee 7
Cool link, thanks Rob!.
Posted by emma's bee on April 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM · Report this
8 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
This I a miserable lot of comments. I'm glad I'm not reading the internet on a nice day like today. :P
Posted by haters gonna hate on April 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM · Report this

My house growing up had a rotary clothesline.

We kids loved that...it was our Maypole...we would run in circles hiding between the sheets drying.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on April 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM · Report this
Takes too long and leaves my clothing feeling uncomfortable and crunchy. So no.
Posted by treehugger on April 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM · Report this
COMTE 12
So apparently, all it takes is a couple of beautiful days to turn good ole' cynical SLOG nostalgic for clothes lines. What's next? Waxing poetic over iced lemonades, brass bands in the gazebo, and soap box derbies?
Posted by COMTE on April 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM · Report this
The dried clothes smell wonderful and they also need ironing. Do you do that, Charles?
Posted by sarah70 on April 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 14
I love the smell and don't mind dropping them out on a line for a few hours, then forgetting about them. But I do get fairly put off by the "crunchy" element noted by @11 there. Is there a simplistic fix for that?
Posted by mikethehammer on April 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM · Report this
rob! 15
@14, I tumble them in the dryer for 15 minutes or so with no heat ("air fluff" cycle on some machines)—most of the energy normally used by a dryer is for heat production (electric or gas) rather than for the motor that turns the drum.

It helps to have used liquid fabric softener in the rinse cycle when washing. Softeners work by putting back a little of the greasy dirt that washing removes, in the form of a clean waxy substance that also reduces static cling, but sheet-type softeners need dryer heat to work.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 14, 2014 at 6:59 AM · Report this
care bear 16
It's also better for your clothes. I've stopped drying all of my clothes. I just put them on a rack in my apartment.
Posted by care bear on April 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM · Report this
Grew up with clotheslines (in Arizona where things dried fast). You need to use liquid fabric softener to have things not be "crunchy." (That said, jeans needs a dryer.)

Used a line right outside my window in Italy as well when we lived there for a year.

Dryers are good but you could really cut energy costs if you had a line as well.
Posted by westello on April 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Dougsf 18
This is exactly what I did Sunday. Some shirts aren't meant for the dry cleaners, but too nice for the dryer. Plus, it's a good excuse to clean the tub.

I would recommend against lengthy exposure to direct sunlight.
Posted by Dougsf on April 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM · Report this