Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Creepy Jams Are Freaking Out My Coworkers

Posted by on Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I sit in a somewhat sequestered corner of the Stranger™ office, so I can easily swear or fart or whatever as I openly listen to my sweet, sweet jams. Well, today while listening to '70s English folk group Comus, I sent a couple coworkers into a tizzy. Turns out, everyone but me thinks Comus is kinda spooky!!

(sigh) I love Comus. Their first EP, Diana, and their first LP, First Utterance, are SO beautiful—and, YEAH, creepy.

any thoughts on Current 93's cover? I've always liked this one a lot...
Posted by aiff on April 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Dougsf 2
Really wanna freak'em out? Tell'em how much the reissue set you back. AND THEY ARE SPOOKY.
Posted by Dougsf on April 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM · Report this
They are on the soundtrack (the title sequence + others) of the 1970 UK movie Permissive (which includes the band Forever More portraying a fictional band). I don't think the music from the movie was released back in the day.
Posted by George Gell on April 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Interesting; ain't nothing wrong with creepy... Thanks!
Posted by protected static on April 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
I must be one of the few who listens to the soft-rock follow up To Keep From Crying more often than First Utterance. It's like an occult Fleetwood Mac.
Posted by illiterati on April 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Not really creepy IMO, more neat and awesome. I'd never heard of them so thanks for this! They sound quite a bit like Dry River Yacht Club.
Posted by bassplayerguy on April 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM · Report this
"They sound quite a bit like Dry River Yacht Club."

Or the reverse actually.
Posted by bassplayerguy on April 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM · Report this
Keekee 8
Family meets Piblokto with some Fairport thrown in for good measure!
Posted by Keekee on April 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM · Report this