Thursday, April 10, 2014

Gun Nuts Prepare for "Shot Heard Around the US" Day on April 19th

Posted by on Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

The Washington State Hunting Forum brings news of a special gun-related holiday happening the Saturday after next:

On April 19th at precisely 9 AM (noon Eastern Time), you are encouraged to be at a range or safe place to shoot to fire off one round in celebration of the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington & Concord (the start of the 1st US Revolutionary War), and as a reminder to the citizenry of the US that our freedom was won with guns and will be kept intact with guns. Send a message that's loud and clear.

This is an event called "The Shot Heard Around the US," and here's the Facebook page, where 4,600 gun owners have pledged to take the shot. The Facebook page warns, "Please only participate in a peaceful and lawful manner. We don't need to give the anti-gunners any ammo!" (No pun intended, I'm sure.) Lots of users are reiterating that call for safety: "This should Go without saying, but remember everybody don't shoot into the air," someone writes on the event. These pleas for safe gunplay make sense, because the last time gun nuts tried to hold a national holiday, five people were injured by gunshot wounds all around the country.

And as you might expect, the Facebook page is packed with people who still somehow think that President Obama, in his remaining two years in office, is somehow going to seize every gun in America:

I WON'T go QUIETLY into the night. BUT I'll tell you now, words DO not and WILL not work with THIS Senate. There is NOTHING LEGAL about this government. THEY have subverted the Constitution, TOTALLY destroying ANY legality. They DIDN'T have that RIGHT or that POWER. Obama is NOT a king. NOR is he God.

I'm a Texas girl all the way. If you want my guns come try to take them. I got something for ya. I believe in God as my salvation. I love my family and country and I'm ready to fight for all. Get ride of the racist president and all of his chronies.

Other folks on the page are taking the opportunity to call for the assassination of people in power on "Shot Heard Round the US" day. A screenshot of one such thread—packed with racism and ignorance, so consider yourself warned—is after the jump:

Screen_shot_2014-04-10_at_10.30.58_AM.png

Screen_shot_2014-04-10_at_10.33.23_AM.png

Be careful out there, everyone.

Nothing is more frightening to me than a person who honestly believes that any given moment is an opportunity to have to lethally defend themselves from something.
Posted by treehugger on April 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM · Report this
fletc3her 2
Real Americans use muskets.
Posted by fletc3her on April 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM · Report this
"Freedom" here smells like Gun Fail "accidents" by the score.

But hey, whenever "Conservatives" celebrate "Freedom" there's a body count.

Posted by judybrowni on April 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM · Report this
Wasn't the 'shot' in response to being fired upon? Are they going to have helpers with paintball guns help them complete their LARPing?
Posted by dirge on April 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 5
It makes sense. People who need a gun on them at all times are simply constantly afraid of everything. They need a gun to make themselves less afraid of everything.

So it makes sense that cowards like these would feel the need to send this meaningless message: despite there being no evidence, they still feel like someone is coming for their guns. Constant, baseless fear.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Whenever a gun owner says they need their gun to protect freedom and our rights, ask them where they were as the 4th Amendment was being crossed out line by line over the past 30 years. If they think they are defending our freedoms, they have failed.
Posted by MRM on April 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
treacle 7
@5 - Apparently that's indeed the connection: People who have a strong negative/fear reaction to everything around them are way more likely to vote Conservative/'publican.

I kinda feel for them, you know? If you are going around scared all the time, it's gotta be real stressful. (And your brain wants to identify the source of that stress, thus blaming it on something.)
Posted by treacle on April 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Call me Scott 8
#3 . . . "But hey, whenever "Conservatives" celebrate "Freedom" there's a body count."

Thank you.
Posted by Call me Scott on April 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
The_Shaved_Bear 9
...'start of the 1st US Revolutionary War'? And just when was the start of the 2nd?
Posted by The_Shaved_Bear on April 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Boring Dad is Boring 10
The FEAR it BURNS! Also, my life insurance policy shows my daily, minute by minute fear of death! And my excessive savings account implies an irrational fear of suddenly being jobless or having something unexpected happen.

I am ashamed in my cowardice, I would like for you enlightened people to make my decisions for me.

Thank you.
Posted by Boring Dad is Boring on April 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM · Report this
schmacky 11
To me, there's nothing less "patriotic" than the Civil War, when the country these people profess to love so much nearly tore itself apart. Why is that the impetus for this event? Or is it pointless to even ask in the face of bottomless, reactionary idiocy?
Posted by schmacky on April 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 12
Silly Texas girl, if the government wanted to take her guns, they'd just launch a missile at her house and blow it up. It wouldn't be a matter of defending herself. Haven't the wars taught her anything?
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 13
big talkers. there are a lot of really stupid people in this country. their stupid boasting about how they're going to murder LEOs who try to seize guns is laughable. were these people even alive to see what happened to the Branch Davidians?

they think they're patriots; they're treasonous.
Posted by Max Solomon on April 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM · Report this
yelahneb 14
April 19th, you say? That's my birthday, awesome! Other events to "celebrate" on "Patriot's Day":

- ATF siege of "The Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord" compound in Elijah AR, 1985
- Final day of the ATF siege on the Branch Davidian sect in Waco Texas, 1993
- Oklahoma City bombing, 1995

Ugh.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM · Report this
I love how people who have the biggest boners for revolutionary war history know absolutely nothing about it. The idea that a militia rose up and beat the british is such ignorant bullshit. the continental army, which acquired its guns through procurement just as any army does, with a huge helping hand from one of the finest armies in the world, the French, defeated the red coats. Whenever militia was present they were basically good for one volley before they ran. One general liked to position his militia force with their backs to a river in hopes of encouraging them to get off a second or third shot before they skeedaddled. Of course the british had plenty of loyalist militia themselves, armed with their own guns, but you'd never know it from listening to these tea bags. The idea that we are free because we all had guns is just total bullshit and nobody calls them out on it. Was the Haitian slave revolt a success because all the slaves in Haiti were armed to the teeth?
Posted by longball on April 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM · Report this
seattlestew 16
Fuck these fucking fucks.
Posted by seattlestew on April 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Twilight Sparkle 17
Chronies should be the Doctor Who fandom equivalent of Bronies.
Posted by Twilight Sparkle on April 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
@10: Your life insurance policy and savings account aren't potentially lethal to other human beings in the face of your own fear. But please, by all means, continue to intentionally misrepresent the point.
Posted by treehugger on April 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM · Report this
SPG 19
I'm going to start a much larger movement for April 19th, a bowel movement. I will leave the bathroom door ajar and take a shit heard around the house.
Posted by SPG on April 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM · Report this
Hernandez 20
It's important to be safe while participating in this event. Therefore, I suggest that every participant climb into their bathtubs and place the muzzle of their guns firmly in their mouths before discharging the celebratory round. Very little chance that innocent bystanders would be accidentally injured that way. Safety first!
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on April 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 21
Circular firing squad anyone?
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on April 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM · Report this
We can all enjoy a laugh at under-educated, terrified Americans who are joining this event while posting all sorts of terrible racist screed, but beware: there's some pretty insidious stuff going on here. April 19 is more than just the day upon which the Battle of Lexington occured, it's a series of anniversaries of particular signifigance to the White Power movement, Militia Movement, and right wing domestic terrorists.

For example:
- the Baltimore Riot where Secessionists massacred Union troops, in 1861
- the U.S. centralized its banks and quit the Gold Standard in 1933
- the ATF ensieged and dismantled the right wing survivalist militia called The Covenant The Sword and The Arm of the Lord in Missouri in 1985
- the FBI assaulted David Koresh and the Branch Davidians in Waco over firearm law violations, leading to the deaths of 76 of the cult members in 1993
- White supremacist Richard Wayne Snell was executed in Arkansas for murdering a black state trooper in 1993
- The Oklahoma City Bombing occurred in 1995. Both Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh were members of the Militia Movement, and did the bombing in retaliation for the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents

At face value, this event is just another excuse for gun owners to be angry at the government for a perceived threat to their freedom. But the date and messaging were very carefully chosen. In actuality, it's very likely that this is a recruiting tool for criminal anti-government organizations where they will find hundreds or thousands of like-minded potential recruits to commit future acts of domestic terror. That's no laughing matter to me.
Posted by MatthewInSEA on April 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Nelson Bradley 23
@ 20 wins!
Posted by Nelson Bradley on April 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM · Report this
venomlash 24
@13: 100% this.
@17: Clever!
Posted by venomlash on April 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM · Report this
More obvious and predictable trolling from the SLOG.

According to the people here, I'm a 'gun nut' and haven't heard a thing about this so-called event. This morning at my local gun range nobody mentioned it, nor was anything posted anywhere. Not a single one of my gun owning friends mentioned anything. Furthermore, I learned about this 'event' from the SLOG.

Seems like this is merely more faux-outrage from the left...
Posted by CPN on April 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM · Report this
@25 - seen on Facebook. Anyway, RESPONSIBLE gun owners won't be doing this I'm sure... Which makes the idea extra frightening.
Posted by Jsoeur on April 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM · Report this
Why does it have to be "uneducated" and "scared"?? I'm educated, and I'm only fearful of the future under such as the current administration. And that's only because I have children. If you are liberal, hopefully you'll grow out of it...
Posted by Macbeth on April 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM · Report this
I love Obama because he continues all those great Bush policies.
I love our troops in Afghanistan. ( and the poppy fields )
I love the drone strikes, and the collateral damage.
( picking up parts of your family because you were late to the wedding )
I love the indefinite preventative detention, (thanks Rachel Maddow for letting me know about this one)
I love the Spying on citizens and the Patriot Act.
I love the systemic toppling of any oil rich nation that does not follow our plan ( you're next Venezuela )
I love the bigots that play the party lines.
I love the NDAA with its hints back to Enabling Act of 1933.
I love our Republican healthcare law passed for the insurance oligopoly. ( and the lobbyists )
I love that Git-mo is still a thing. ( the force feeding tubes are the best )
I love the main stream media, and its blackout of information about GMO rGBH, and Hydraulic Fracturing.
(Nothing those Republicans love more than playing god with DNA right, oh wait...)
I love erasing the divide between the left and the right.
Because god forbid you only tax the 1% and still get 99% of the tax revenue.
(oh he is one of those crazy teabaggers)
Posted by divideandblank on April 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM · Report this
I love Obama because he continues all those great Bush policies.
I love our troops in Afghanistan. ( and the poppy fields )
I love the drone strikes, and the collateral damage.
( picking up parts of your family because you were late to the wedding )
I love the Spying on citizens and the Patriot Act.
I love the bigots that play the party lines.
I love the NDAA with its hints back to Enabling Act of 1933.
I love that Git-mo is still a thing. ( the force feeding tubes are the best )
I love erasing the divide between the left and the right.
Because god forbid you only tax the 1% and still get 99% of the tax revenue.
(oh he is one of those crazy Insert bigoted name her (teabaggers,OWS commies)
Posted by divideandblank on April 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM · Report this
@ Hernandez - wow, reading your post made me throw-up in my mouth a little thinking that someone would want another American to commit sucide. Grow up! Having the 2nd Amendment secures your other amendments. Without it, there would be nothing to stop this great country from being another communists China. Please think before you type something so sick next time.
Posted by realnice on April 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
You people are largely misguided, most gun owners have never heard of this. I know I haven't. For one, you list a post from facebook involving people who are clearly taking an opportunity to complain online about the things they complain about every day. They are on the extreme right while you lot are on the extreme left. Personally, I think I'll stay in the middle when it comes to politics and pick which one is going to hurt me the least.

As for Hernandez, I suggest that you follow your own advise.

And Longball @ 15, while you are right for the larger portion of the Revolution. The Contenintal Army wasn't formed until after The battle of Lexington and Concord. The Malitia defeated and decimated the British force. Up until Valley Forge, much of Washingtons Army was untrained, poory equipped Malitias that tried to form something greater. Also, much of Frances support was naval, it wasn't until the end that they fully contributed their Army.
Posted by The Mechanic on August 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM · Report this