Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Joe Mande Hates "Same Love"

Posted by on Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM

The AV Club has a continuing feature called "Hatesong," in which a comedian or musician is interviewed about a song he or she really hates. Today, Joe Mande, a comedian and Parks and Recreation writer, goes after "Same Love." He spends the first few minutes of the interview clarifying that "I obviously support gay marriage." But he pretty quickly gets to work hating on the song:

You can tell just by his voice and how triumphantly he’s delivering the lyrics that he thinks he’s being so brave, but it’s like, “No. It’s 2014 and you’re a white dude with a Hitler-youth haircut.”

AVC: From Seattle.

JM: And you’re from Seattle. I’m pretty sure everyone can tell you believe in gay marriage. I’d be more surprised if he made a song about how he loves gluten. Like how gluten deserves equal rights. I’d be like, “Yeah, that’s really brave of him. That’s so cool of a guy from Seattle to say something cool about gluten.”

It's obviously no Rob Delaney pulling apart "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)," which I think is a classic of the comedians-dismantling-pop-songs genre, but it's a good criticism of a song that will no doubt result in Mande being slammed on Twitter by Macklemore fans. I'd encourage you to read the comments to the interview, too, which is full of great thoughts about the song, both pro and con. (There are also sidebar conversations about whether gluten allergies are a real thing or not, too. It's like the whole internet, wrapped up in one comment thread!)

yelahneb 1
The only thing more interesting than hard work and talent is shitting on someone else's.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
I to find this song base, pandering, and simplistic, but White Walls is tight, and this dude is totes jelly. Like if you aren't angry rapping then you don't count.
Posted by Darmok on April 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
The Striking Viking 3
It wasn't so much an act of bravery to make a song about homosexual rights in our current society (Seattle or elsewhere), but it was a bit ballsy in the context of the hip-hop community. That, I think, was the big deal. While I hesitate to make broad generalizations about a whole genre, Hip-hop on the national stage is full of macho heterosexual posturing...this was the departure Macklemore was making.
Posted by The Striking Viking on April 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
I hate Same Love because Macklemore can't fucking rap at all half the time, the song sounds like it was written by a committee, and Mary Lambert's chorus is fucking ridiculous in its own right. It's a lame lame lame lame lame song from a musical standpoint regardless of how overblown the Le Bravelemore angle is. I run to turn off the stereo when it comes on KEXP because it's lame as fuck and I don't want to waste my ears on it.
Posted by The CHZA on April 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM · Report this
So, you took the recommendation to being reading the AV Club then. ;>
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on April 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 6
I'd have to agree with The CHZA's evaluation of Macklemore's "rapping". Talking earnestly over music isn't rapping.

The fact it became a hit was really great from a societal point of view, if not an aesthetic one.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on April 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM · Report this
The song is two years old. Things have changed a LOT in this country since then. It was written in support of I-74 which was passed that same year. Does nobody remember that context? Where have you been? WTF?
Posted by drawn on April 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Mattini 8
There's something that really bothers me about the idea that support for gay marriage is a given. Gay people don't even have equal rights yet everywhere in this country, let alone worldwide. But this guy act like it's 'obvious' he supports gay marriage, and he's bored that it's an issue.

It reminds me of the old line, "I don't care what you do in the bedroom, just don't talk about it." Fuck that. It's going to be an issue for as long as people are denied equal rights.
Posted by Mattini on April 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM · Report this
@8: yes
Posted by drawn on April 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
fletc3her 10
I love the song because he donated the proceeds of the single's initial sales to passing same sex marriage, the video makes me cry, and he has performed it on everything from Ellen to the Grammies.

Macklemore isn't the most talented rapper but he is a good performer. I personally find the songs where he is really speaking from the heart a lot more affecting than most hip hop I've heard for a long time. But, then the music may be for me and not the Jay Z fans.
Posted by fletc3her on April 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Ah. The well worn Internet Attention-whore tactic of finding something good and beloved and then taking a heaping shit on it.

The rule is if you're going do a take down on something beloved then you have offer up something of your won to alter of internet scorn.

IOW. If you are going to go on at length ripping apart something people love then you have to offer up something you thing is better for people to likewise take a big shit on. Or you are to be ignored.

Like Suey Park, Joe Mande is to be ignored.
Posted by tkc on April 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
@7 completely agree. Context is so important with this song. 1) It was written to galvanize support in R74 - BEFORE Obama came out in favor of equality and 2) it was written before Macklemore was a superstar, before The Heist came out, even before his Stranger cover story. It was never supposed to be a national Billboard #1 single, it was supposed to be a fun little rallying cry for the movement.

and now we have to listen to moronic sitcom writers shit all over it with no knowledge about what that song meant for the campaign in 2012
Posted by albatross2 on April 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM · Report this
matt 13
Would Mande hate my "Approve R74" t-shirt too? Probably not. Unless Macklemore was wearing it.
Posted by matt on April 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Saw this guy open for Aziz Ansari at the Paramount and he was just okay. Chelsea Peretti was the opener last time Aziz came to Seattle and she was much, much funnier than Joe Mande.
Posted by Amanda on April 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM · Report this
You missed the real story here. This is the second in a row in the avclub series where the person defends their hate of "same love" by proclaiming they love"ignorant" rap. http://www.avclub.com/article/black-lips…

what the fuck is up with people?
Posted by j2patter on April 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM · Report this
laterite 16
It should be noted that Hatesong is the single worst feature at the AV Club, to the point where its awfulness must be deliberate. 9 times out of 10 the interviewee comes out looking far more vapid and contemptible than whatever song it is they are supposed to be "hating".
Posted by laterite on April 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM · Report this
I love that he slammed Macklemore and his stupid corny uber-white Seattle bullshit "rap" music. Macklemore is the biggest fucking DORK and deserves a major ass-kicking like so many other white, thinking-they're-so-deep-and-progressive Seattlelites who are carbon copies of one another and take themselves SO seriously. Amen, Joe Mande.
Posted by Confluence on April 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM · Report this
@17 Thanks for elevating the conversation here.
Posted by drawn on April 9, 2014 at 1:34 AM · Report this
ryjan 19
The only thing worse then macklemore are people who defend macklemore.
Posted by ryjan on April 9, 2014 at 7:37 AM · Report this
so if you agree with the message of "same love" your obligated to like the song? i don't get it.
Posted by bpb on April 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this