and Drunks

Monday, April 7, 2014

Speaking of the Climate and Not Worrying... It's Your Seattle Weather Forecast!

Posted by on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM

It looks REALLY BEAUTIFUL OUT, doesn't it? Wonder what the forecast is...

Oh, just SEVENTY-ONE (71!!!) and mostly sunny.

This week looks lovely, too.

What, us worry!?

UPDATE: Okay, I'm really sorry, but did you see the report that Ansel posted about in Morning News this weekend—the one from the UNITED NATIONS that says THE WORLD IS RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING?!?!?! I want for us all to enjoy this beautiful Seattle day—is there even one thing we as individuals could do, right now, that would make an iota of difference? Before we go frolic in the park later? And why aren't people worried?!?!?

More people aren't worried because a) head up ass syndrome (hua) b) the word "warming" confused everyone (and apparently still does) c) the media is easily distracted (even you, Stranger, have only in this last year, started really talking about it
Posted by Prickles on April 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM · Report this
About the only thing I think people can do as individuals is reduce their individual complicity in the problem. So all the good things the self-righteous have been lecturing us about.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on April 7, 2014 at 9:17 AM · Report this
emma's bee 3
Get on your bike and ditch your car. Permanently. This year mr. emma's bee and I downsized to 1 car, and sits unused most days.
Posted by emma's bee on April 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

Let's go hydrogen and fuel cells!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM · Report this
@2 I feel less self righteous than despondent.
Posted by Prickles on April 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM · Report this
tike0vitz 6
What @3 said.

Also, could we stop using plastic for everything. The ban on plastic bags at grocery stores is a joke, you can still get plastic bags at tons of places in this city like restaurants and small produce stands. Not to mention, the plastic bags used in the produce aisle of, yes the very grocery stores that are banned from using plastic bags at check out. Most fruit already comes in a pretty hardy wrapper people, it's called the skin! And if you're going to eat the skin you'll have to wash it first whether you wrapped it in plastic or not.
Posted by tike0vitz on April 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM · Report this
tike0vitz 7
Otherwise, if it's a wet vegetable or herb like cilantro or broccoli and you don't want to get your bag wet, re use plastic bags, they never break down (which is great but also the reason they suck). I've had the same six plastic produce bags for at least three years now and I just rinse them out every so often.

It might sound gross, but even at the gym I use the same plastic bag to keep my freshly worn clothes separated from stinking up my bike bag. What's the difference, once they're dirty they go in a dirty bag. The outside is just fine. I thought of this because there's a lot of people at my gym who'll talk about climate change and how it's going to destroy us and then grab a brand new plastic bag after every workout, throw their sweaty clothes in, go home and toss the bag.
Posted by tike0vitz on April 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM · Report this
@4: JBITDMFOTP
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM · Report this
devinderry 9
FWIW, this stuff scares me shitless. I've pretty much had to stop reading climate pieces because they shut me down for days.

I do all of the self-righteous shit (no plastic bags, walk or bus everywhere, buy 99% of my stuff second hand, etc.), but apparently the amount of us who are worried enough to live relatively sustainably isn't enough to change anything. The End keeps running at us while we think it's more important to rant about which famous person said something offensive.
Posted by devinderry on April 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM · Report this