Monday, April 7, 2014

Help! Seattle Dessert Recommendations (It's for the Children!)

Posted by on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Recommend (and, later, eat!) dessert to help out the Seattle Youth Symphony!
  • Recommend (and, later, eat!) dessert to help out the Seattle Youth Symphony!

Sometimes people email me for restaurant recommendations. I always answer, and Slog commenters always have good suggestions too. Josef writes...

Dear Bethany,

Please help me! This is for Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestras benefitSYSO Sweet Suite—on May 3. We are looking for the very best desserts from cuisines that reflect the wide diversity of our students and families. In particular, we are looking for bite-sized authentic desserts from the following cuisines:

• Chinese
• Japanese
• Korean
• Vietnamese
• Thai
• Indian
• African
• Middle Eastern
• Latin American

Do you know the best places that make desserts from these cultures? Do you have specific dishes to recommend?

Thanks so much!
Josef

Dear Josef,

I want so much to help you and Seattle's musical prodigies, but here is my secret shame: I don't really like dessert. No, not even chocolate. I mean, I'll eat it—I'd just prefer a cheese course or a nice cognac (or both). (I see that SYSO Sweet Suite will also have local cheeses and good wine, for people like me...)

But! To get you started, I can tell you that the Chinese egg tarts at Jade Garden are awesome even to those who would normally eschew dessert. You should consider Fuji Bakery and Hiroki in the Japanese category. For Korean desserts, you might consult Rachel Yang and Seif Chirchi of Joule and Revel—their desserts aren't traditional Korean, but they are great people who could point you in the right direction... I could give you some more recommendations like that—restaurants that are excellent at the various cuisines above, which probably have excellent desserts or could help you find them—but maybe the normal dessert-enjoying people of Slog can take a shot first.

But first, a little plug for SYSO Sweet Suite: The Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestra will play Wagner and Tchaikovsky, and the special guest will be the awesome cellist Joshua Roman, and it's at the new(ish) MOHAI on May 3. It should be great, and you should go!

Now, help a Josef out, Slog? It's for the children!

Yours as always,
Bethany

Wait, seriously? 1
For Japanese mochi, there's Umai-Do in the Central District.
Their sweets were featured on NPR last year

Posted by Wait, seriously? on April 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM · Report this
rob! 2
Yes to mochi; it's also finger food, good for buffet-type little-plates fundraisers. @1's recommendation seems wise; the ones they sell at TJ's seem to have quality-control problems of late.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 3
for latin styled desserts the salvadorean bakery in white center can't be beat.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on April 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM · Report this
Hiroki is amazing, but I consider it more fusion (Green tea tiramisu to die for), although I admit I don't know authentic Japanese desserts at all.
Indian Sweets & Spices (Shoreline)or Punjab Sweets (Kent) have a variety of Indian options that are accessible and travel/hold well. Barfi (many varieties), kalakand, gulab jamun, and rasgulla are favorites of mine for party/finger food, although they are milk based. Everyone seems to get Jalebi for events and I have yet to have one I like, but it is (can be at least) vegan.
Punjab Sweets has Shakarparay and Mitti Seerni which they list as snacks, but are sweet and light.
If there's the option for bowl-and-spoon needing desserts, kheer and rasmali are likely available from either establishment.
Traveler's Thali House in Beacon hill has a reasonable but thicker than I am used to kheer, and partners with a Sweets place in Renton and can supply a nice mix, including vegan options.
Saffron in Northgate does catering and has a nice gulab jamun and rasmalai and probably could supply kheer as well. The plus to Saffron (besides being my favorite Indian in Seattle) is they also have halvah and baklava to cover some middle-eastern side of things as well. I've not had the halvah, but their Baklava is quite nice, light and not overly sweet.
Posted by Now I'm hungry. on April 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
My favorite sweet as a child was bak tong gou--it's a steamed spongy rice cake. I don't really see it in Chinese bakeries here, but a lot of the dim sum places serve it and it's super easy to make, so it's basically impossible for it to be bad. I've had it at Jade Garden, Harbor City, New Hong Kong--even at the deli in Uwajimaya.
Posted by ianto jones on April 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM · Report this
raku 6
Great. For your white kids I recommend going to the Armenian bakery in Bellevue. They're white and so are the bakery owners, so it makes perfect sense. Don't let the kids who must only eat "generic African cuisine" have all the fun. Everyone should have the experience of being awkwardly othered by authority figures.
Posted by raku on April 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM · Report this
Full Tilt Ice Cream makes flavors inspired by cultures all over the world- ube, black sesame, mango chili...
Posted by Acme on April 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM · Report this
They also make lovely little Japanese sweets at Fresh Flours in Phinney.
Posted by burritobutt on April 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM · Report this
kid icarus 9
I'd highly recommend the dessert thali at Poppy -- it's a lot of fun to share with a group and generally leans South Asian. Right now they have a ras-el-hanout orange sorbet. And the housemade nutter butters are to die for.
Posted by kid icarus http://absintheandoranges.com/ on April 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this