Monday, April 7, 2014

Can a New Font Named Comic Neue End the Tyranny of Comic Sans?

Posted by on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

The Verge alerted me to graphic designer Craig Rozynski's attempts to create a new spin on the much-hated-but-still-ubiquitous Comic Sans font. It's called Comic Neue, and Rozynski is making it available for free. Rozynski claims that he's "beaten" the "squashed, wonky, and weird glyphs of Comic Sans" into "shape," while still "maintaining the honesty that made Comic Sans so popular."

Here's what Comic Neue Regular looks like:

Screen_shot_2014-04-07_at_12.55.40_PM.png

But there are plenty of variations on the theme over at the Comic Neue site. I'm no designer, but I guess it's an improvement over Comic Sans. I mean, it makes sense as a font and some of the Obliques are fairly attractive. But the thing about Comic Sans's ubiquity in documents is that it's easy for people to find; it just lives there in Word, ready to use. I think the people who know how to download a font aren't the people who use Comic Sans, and I think that's a barricade that Rozynski won't be able to vault over without the help of a Microsoft or a Google adopting the font into their word processors.

yelahneb 1
Nope.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
fletc3her 2
I don't understand why people hate Comic Sans exactly, but I don't see how this font is any better.
Posted by fletc3her on April 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM · Report this
seatackled 3
@2

I like Comic Sans. I don't use it for formal stuff, but it was perfect for chatting--easy to read but not formal.
Posted by seatackled on April 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM · Report this
rob! 4
Even to the untrained eye, the kerning pairs are fucked (see "quick brown fox" font specimens). I'm guessing he manually kerned his body text. But it is his "first typographical project," so live and learn. Not any worse than most free typefaces.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
Comic Neue looks ok, but it's missing the swagger:
Posted by Eric from Boulder on April 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM · Report this
very bad homo 6
I have no beef with Comic Sans. Never understood all the hate.
Posted by very bad homo on April 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Kunst Frau 7
Comic Neue Regular is just another poorly designed type face in the very long line of shitty sans serif fonts. Why is it that Americans dislike the very practical use of crossed z’s and sevens? Is it too Euro or too military?
Posted by Kunst Frau on April 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM · Report this
stinkbug 8
Did V and W get married?
Posted by stinkbug on April 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Posted by mlb on April 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Mary P. Traverse 10
This is better than Comic Sans, but I will still never use it. There are so many better hand-written-looking fonts in the world. But I'm coming from a design standpoint.
Posted by Mary P. Traverse http://dinosaurnews.tumblr.com on April 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
@7, no one, not even those oh-so-classy Euros or military men, uses crossed 7s and Zs in typography. Handwriting, fine, if you must.

Comic Sans is a handful of shit. This here might be an ounce less shit, but it's still a handful of shit. Looks like the lettering on the chalkboard in grade school, minus the curl at the bottom of t. People who use Comic Sans on anything other than diaper packaging should be ground into livestock feed.

But yeah, people use Comic Sans because it's in Word. Same reason they use Algerian for all sorts of things -- it's alphabetically the first display font (and the fucking WORST).
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM · Report this
@everyone

I can't fathom a more entry-level form of snobbery with as much bang for your internet-buck as font design. Really, what else is there? Here, you got your jargon (serif, ligature, etc.), your personal asthetics ('fairly attractive'), and digitalized infinite malleability. All with no entry fee cause the stuff is ubiquitous. That is real fertile ground for publicly jacking yourself off.
Posted by bradl on April 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM · Report this
LEE. 13
@12

Spoken like a person who would use Papyrus for their business logo.
Posted by LEE. on April 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM · Report this
Didn't Calibri take over for Comic Sans a little while ago?
Posted by cmuberti on April 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM · Report this