Thursday, April 3, 2014

Idiocracy Begins With Your Phone

Posted by on Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Last week a man jumped on the NYC subway tracks to get his phone, and this week a girl in Kent got stuck in a drain doing the same thing:

I thought to myself, 'I'm not leaving this' and I jumped down to get it. I wasn't really even stuck, I just needed somebody to help lift me out but my mum got all panicky.

While Ella emerged from the drain unscathed, the same can't be said for her phone, which is now broken.

Congratulations, guys! You win the Darwin award for Couple of the Year.

One time in The Stranger's offices I was checking my phone while peeing and KERPLUNK! Into the toilet.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on April 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM · Report this
Oh Kent in England. I knew people were kind of special down there but not like saying "mum"
Posted by The CHZA on April 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM · Report this
They're ineligible for the Darwin Award -- they're both alive and contributing to the gene pool. To be a Darwin winner, you have to remove yourself from the gene pool before reproducing.
Posted by Jared Bascomb on April 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 4
Considering how rancid NYC subways smell, I'd consider the phone a lost cause even without the inherent danger of jumping on the tracks.
Posted by keshmeshi on April 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM · Report this
ams_ 5
That woman must have a shocking lack of upper body strength!
Posted by ams_ on April 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Allyn 6
Did she break her uterus along with her phone? How is she a Darwin Award winner?
Posted by Allyn on April 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM · Report this
yelahneb 7
What @3 and @6 said - these were both people who did a foolish, life-threatening thing, but to "win the Darwin Award" you have to die (or otherwise be prevented from breeding and creating more of yourself).
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on April 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM · Report this
venomlash 8
On the Chicago 'L' there are big ads saying "You can live without it for a minute" with a message to the effect of "don't be stupid, ask a CTA worker if you drop your phone on the tracks".
Posted by venomlash on April 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this