and Drunks

Thursday, April 3, 2014

David Letterman Is Retiring Next Year: Who Should Replace Him?

Posted by on Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Cynthia Littleton at Variety writes:

In a move that will complete the generational transition in latenight, David Letterman is preparing to retire from CBS next year.

This means we're probably in for months and months of speculation about who'll replace Letterman, so we might as well get started.

SPG 1
Louis C.K.
Didn't you watch the last season of Louie? You know he's prepared!
Posted by SPG on April 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
Carrie Brownstone
Posted by dnt trust me on April 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM · Report this
pg13 3
Wouldn't CBS's demographic demand that Jay Leno be the obvious choice?
Posted by pg13 on April 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
stinkbug 4
@2: Is she related to Carrie Brownstein?
Posted by stinkbug on April 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Callie 5
I second Louis CK!
Posted by Callie http://www.facebook.com/Klosetnerd on April 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
Me, Chelsea, Carrie, or BadRobot
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Reggie Watts
Posted by Pol Pot on April 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM · Report this
AFinch 8
@4 beat me to it. I lurvs me some Carrie Brownstein.

Still, yeah, Louis CK would be fantastic.

What I want to know is this: HOW THE F is Conan O'Brien even on this survey much less leading it? NOT FUNNY. NOT FUNNY. AWKWARD NERVOUS FACE...NOT FUNNY. He's a nice guy...but he is just not up to it. Craig Ferguson if you must go broadcast not cable. Otherwise, Stewart or Colbert.
Posted by AFinch on April 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM · Report this
wisepunk 9
Jimmy Florentine, if we are going with more jimmies.

jimmies. heh heh.
Posted by wisepunk on April 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM · Report this
Never Louis CK, he still has to make more seasons of his show.
Posted by Bloated Jesus is Bloated on April 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM · Report this
The Ron Jeremy Show.
That will shake up the late night eqation.
Posted by Pol Pot on April 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 12
Here's my list of criteria:

• Already in the CBS fold but with no current TV gig
• Good track record hosting similar shows (such as awards shows), preferably on that network
• Currently living in New York City
• Awesome
• Maybe someone with an upcoming role on Broadway to keep him busy until the job opens up
Posted by Fred Casely on April 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Kinison 13
Colbert or Stewart are the easy choices, they wouldn't have to move. While you can replace Stewart with someone else, you cant replace Colbert, his show would effectively die.

Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on April 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
ferret 14
If she can keep on the wagon, I would say Chelsea Handler. Craig Ferguson should inherit the job, because he has shown he can handle the day to day aspects of the job, and not have a meltdown.

However, I think someone who would do really well at the job, because he was very very good when he was the host of the Daily Show for a couple month period was John Oliver.

I would probably still give it to Chelsea Handler..

Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on April 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 15
@12,

I think Neil can do better.
Posted by keshmeshi on April 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Tom Scharpling.
Posted by Narbles on April 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 17
David Lynch.
Posted by tabletop_joe on April 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Colbert is not actually a good interviewer. Comedy genius, yes.

Louis CK is better off doing what's he's doing.

Craig is actually very good and in prime position to come in for Letterman.

Didn't Conan replace Letterman when Letterman walked out of NBC? Yeesh. Bad vibe.

NPH would be an interesting choice.
Posted by unpaid reader on April 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM · Report this
NORM
Posted by BedroomCovers on April 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
brandon 20
Anyone with a vagina would do. Late Night Talk on the big 3 networks is a notorious sausage fest.

Conan wouldn't be a bad choice either, bring him back from cable exile. But he made so much money and is still doing OK on TBS that there are more deserving females out there.
Posted by brandon on April 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM · Report this
jezbian 21
what @20 said re: sausage fest. it'd be so refreshing to have a woman hosting. carrie brownstein would be great...i only know chelsea handler by name, so unable to vote for her.

a woman of colour would be even better. maya rudolph? (unsure if she's done much interviewing before though)

how about wanda sykes? YES, i KNOW her last show sucked - perhaps on CBS they could get some better producers/writers than she had on FOX? and a better format to boot.

OOOH - how about jessica williams? have really loved her work on the daily show!
Posted by jezbian on April 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM · Report this
@12: I would love that, but my vote is for Tig Notaro.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM · Report this
seatackled 23
Wouldn't Ellen be the logical top contender? I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Wanda Sykes, though.
Posted by seatackled on April 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
@21: Jessica Williams, ack, I can't believe I didn't think of her. I thought about Schaal and Bee, but I'm not sure how they would do with interview, but Williams has been one of the best correspondents on the show since she's been there.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on April 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 25
I used to watch late Letterman and/or Leno years ago. Hell, I'm old enough that I used to watch Johnny Carson when I was younger.

But who the fuck watches that stuff anymore? I used to watch it when there was no internet and a limited number of channels. Now with unlimited choices available on Cable, the internet, streaming movies on Netflix or Amazon or whatever... who cares who replaces Letterman? I haven't watched any of them in years. I'll occasionally watch Jon Stewart or Colbert on video clips online, but why would you bother with network comedy on a schedule? Borrrring...
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 26
@23 Bingo!

Ellen is a widely respected comedienne and is all kinds of awesome at the gig already.
Posted by Sir Vic on April 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM · Report this
NotSean 27
Lady host for sure.

Ellen... too sweet.
Handler... too tart.

How about: Silverman, Poehler, Brownstein...?

Posted by NotSean on April 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM · Report this
Silverman's not too tart? And Ellen can be tart, never doubt it. I think Ellen would be a good choice.
Posted by stilettov on April 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM · Report this
seatackled 29
Tart is fine; this is late night, after all, and don't forget that Johnny Carson's heir was going to be Joan Rivers, until she jumped to Fox with her own competing talk show. Letterman's successor really should be a woman, and if CBS does go in that direction, they could offer the job to Rivers, who had a proven track record guesthosting for Carson. But Ellen has the more recent proven track record and would be a great choice.
Posted by seatackled on April 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM · Report this
Anyone but Conan; he's not funny and is a proven loser re:ratings, both important considerations.
Posted by MikeJames on April 3, 2014 at 11:56 PM · Report this
Ellen.
Posted by longball on April 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM · Report this
I'm torn among Pat Sajak, Alan Thicke, Chevy Chase and Magic Johnson.
Posted by montyb on April 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM · Report this
jezbian 33
looks like it very well might be colbert: http://mashable.com/2014/04/04/stephen-c…
Posted by jezbian on April 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM · Report this
NotSean 34
@27 Here's a good list of lady candidates:

Maya Rudolph... Amy Sedaris...

Posted by NotSean on April 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM · Report this