Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Suit That Simulates Old Age

Posted by on Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:00 PM

There's a futuristic suit designed to make young people feel what it's like to be in the body of an old person—it slows you down, makes bending down harder, makes hearing more difficult, and impairs vision. Guardian reporter Josh Halliday tried it out:

It's usually used by the Institute of Vocational Learning at South Bank University, and the idea behind the suit is to increase empathy between young healthcare workers and the elderly people in their care. People over 85 are the fastest growing demographic group in the UK, where care of the elderly is one of the fastest growing job markets.

You can checkout the video here.

Posted by leighzbohns on April 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 2
If it doesn't fuck up your balance and make all your joints hurt, they need to go back to the drawing board.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 3
I have to agree with @2. It may simulate a lot of things, like impaired movement, hearing, and eyesight. But in addition to that, many old people I know are in a state of constant low-level pain from arthritis and other joint/musculature issues. Hip replacement surgery is as common for old people as braces are for adolescents.

Unless that suit stabs you in the hip every time you take a step, it is missing out on part of the experience.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Banna 4
I AM a suit that makes me feel old.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on April 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM · Report this
rob! 5
I'm still not calling myself old even though the AARP has been pestering me lately, but that suit reminded me of my first big bout with autoimmune arthritis (not rheumatoid) while I was still in my twenties. Inflamed were a whole bunch of tendons and ligaments, right where they attach to bone, including Achilles, the ones that turn my head, and the ones that attach ribs to breastbone and vertebrae. I walked like my feet were both in plaster casts, I had to turn my whole upper body to look at things, and I got stabbing pains with every breath. Fortunately it's been well controlled since then, with only an occasional minor flare-up.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 6
And does it make you cold? Mother Vel-DuRay is always cold, even though they heat the facility she lives at at approximately ninety degrees year round. Poor dear departed Papa Vel-DuRay was the same way. The Old Home Place was so hot that I always spent the first few days there feeling like I had a fever.

I look at my parents, who have both lived long, robust, healthy lives, and hope for a massive coronary at about 80. That's when things start to suck.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 7

This suit doesn't really simulate what it's like to be the King of New York...Christopher Walken.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
Does it make you angry at kids these days with their terrible music?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on April 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM · Report this
Does it make you dead? Old age eventually kills you so if it doesn't do that it is totally worthless.
Posted by Jude Fawley on April 3, 2014 at 8:42 AM · Report this