Tuesday, April 1, 2014

In Culture News: Rushdie Photographs His Favorite Subject, Electric Wonderland, and a New Furnace

Posted by and on Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Salman Selfies: Author and formerly fatwaed human Salman Rushdie has posted a series of selfies at the Paris Review. I am still struggling to understand why this is a phenomenon, since people have been taking pictures of their own faces for decades.

Furnace Gets More Kindling: On Facebook, stellar reading series The Furnace has announced that their next reader will be Bellingham essayist Brenda Miller. On May 9, Miller will give a reading of new work at Hollow Earth Radio. Word is, she'll be joined by past Furnace readers, making this an all-star event.

Do Scumbag Steve Next! I highly recommend this New Inquiry study of the Overly Attached Girlfriend meme, written by Hannah Black. Here's a taste:

The Overly Attached Girlfriend began as a single image, multiply inflected with different captions. The logic of the meme: It must be instantly understood. Her huge eyes are fixed wide open in her otherwise unremarkable face, a face that avoids censure by being white, untroublingly pretty, young, etc.; all that could be condemned is held in the eyes, which won’t give up their object. She is a contemporary spin on the ancient European slur against women that they desire too much. Now, at least in most mainstream discourse, feels-shaming is more common than slut-shaming: the shame of being too much or too little, too warm or too cold, too ambivalent or too certain.

Go Ask Alice: This electronic edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is beautiful to behold, and interesting to read. It should serve as just another reminder that people who only think of e-books as electronic editions of print books, with pages and covers and a very familiar layout, are selling the e-book format short.

Conflict of Interest Alert: Here's another account of the Emerald City Comicon panel hosted by Stranger books editor Paul Constant, in which three Fantagraphics editors discuss the future of the comics publisher.

March Stumble of the Penguins: And now, for no good reason, here's a video of penguins tripping over a rope that's been circling the internet for a couple weeks.

I would think that Salman Rushdie's favorite photograpy subject would be Padma Lakshmi. Sure as hell would be mine, if I had been in his shoes.

Oh... VIVA FATWA!
Posted by CPN on April 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM · Report this
I love that penguin at 1:19 who successfully walks over the rope (no tripping) and then looks extremely pleased with itself.
Posted by originalcinner on April 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM · Report this
delirian 3
8.2 quake in Chile and tsunami warnings are out of the region. Hawaii and the US coasts are still being evaluated. Here are the tsunami warnings, watches, etc. (click on the '1's):

Oh, and it appears that CNN is still covering that damn plane.
Posted by delirian on April 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 4
@1,

Didn't they get divorced?
Posted by keshmeshi on April 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM · Report this
stinkbug 5
Paul, I had a dream last night in which I emailed you and asked what you usually use for a bookmark. I also insisted you make a post on slog all about bookmarks.
Posted by stinkbug on April 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 6
@5,

That's a pretty cool idea. I love when I buy a used book and find a bookmark already in it.
Posted by mikethehammer on April 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 7
Also, I'm guessing selfies are taking off with the rise in camera phones. Using actual cameras with a limited number of photos available, people were less likely to take goofy throw-away shots and so seek assistance from a stranger for framing purposes, etc. Now you can do it yourself repeatedly until you get a decent one. Perhaps.
Posted by mikethehammer on April 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM · Report this
john t 8
That New Inquiry piece was the best April Fools joke I've seen all day.
Posted by john t on April 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM · Report this
sheiler 9
I too don't get the Selfie Movement. I used to throw away film by taking (mostly) blurred selfies of me. Ratio was 1/2 for every roll. This was in the 1980s back when I cared.
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on April 2, 2014 at 4:42 AM · Report this
Mischa Vainburg 10
Penguins: they're just like us!
Posted by Mischa Vainburg http://squidbasedink.wordpress.com on April 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM · Report this