Friday, March 28, 2014

Oso Washington Mudslide: 8 Images That Broke My Heart Today

Posted by on Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM

A broken home...

save-11.jpg
  • Kelly O

Rain, rain, rain, and more mud...

give-10.jpg
  • Kelly O

This is how they transport the bodies:

bodies-1.jpg
  • Kelly O

save-1.jpg
  • Kelly O

give-9.jpg
  • Kelly O

save-3.jpg
  • Kelly O

save-4.jpg
  • Kelly O

save-6.jpg
  • Kelly O

Please donate CASH, or whatever you can.

MirrorMan 1
.....damn......
Posted by MirrorMan on March 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 2
A Cross in a heart with a clear cut in the back ground. The picture tells it like it is.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on March 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM · Report this
They have said they don't want stuff. There is nowhere to put it. Cash only.
Posted by sarah70 on March 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM · Report this
And I hope the survivors sue the hell out of Snohomish County, so the county decides it maybe shouldn't issue building permits to developers for documented danger zones anymore.
Posted by sarah70 on March 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM · Report this
Heartbreaking...
Posted by downtownkitty on March 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 6
@4 - Yes, and such class action litigation should also include various state depts and the timber industry as well - not dump it all on the County.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 7
In the MOST COMMENTED ON SLOG Section, Paul Constant's post on young people going to the movies got more comments than the article about Oso by Mudede. Way to go Paul! I know it's not a competition, but Congrats!
Posted by dnt trust me on March 28, 2014 at 11:48 PM · Report this
Die Teabaggers Die!
Posted by DTD on March 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM · Report this
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on March 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM · Report this
emma's bee 10
Great photos, Kelly O. Anyone know what's under the shrouded sign?
Posted by emma's bee on March 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM · Report this
NotSean 11
@10 I think its a traffic sign posting the city name. Something like this but probably smaller:

Posted by NotSean on March 29, 2014 at 7:21 AM · Report this
NotSean 12
@11 it's. And your link sucks.
Posted by NotSean on March 29, 2014 at 7:24 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 13
@10 the distance to darrington. That's what I could make out on Google maps.
Posted by Charles Mudede on March 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM · Report this
So suddenly the Stranger gives a shit about rural folk? Not buying it.
Posted by Jdjffjfhfjf on March 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 15
Troll dear, over 100 people are almost certainly dead, and some may never be found. It's not a rural/city thing, it's a human thing. I don't expect you to understand, but the least you could do is hold your peace.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
*Sigh* This is indeed, heartbreaking. My condolences to all who were killed, and/or who have lost loved ones, homes, and possessions. Here's hoping that the people of Oso / Darrington can rebuild their community, although the hillside along Highway #530 and the Stillaguamish River floodplain will never again be what it once was.
I feel especially sorry for Snohomish County Districts #22 & 23 Fire Chief, Travis Hots--he must be feeling completely overwhelmed right now.
Posted by auntie grizelda on March 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM · Report this
@16: I forgot to add my condolences to the loss of beloved pets, as well.
Posted by auntie grizelda on March 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Queers grew up in Oso, Trafton, and that long stretch of hardscrabble 530 farms too. Rural Washington is not a lockstep of people supporting gay marriage bans and the tea party. Beyond the youth trapped in the ideologies of conservative parents, it's sure as hell better than what my friends had in say rural Shenandoah valley in eastern Virginia. I suffered a lot growing up there but I've been a broken emotional mess the past week. I may have quarreled with them growing up but I recognized plenty of names who are now dead, and none of them deserved /that/. And let's be honest, the blue collar promise of the democratic party was not precisely kept to the mill workers in the Cascade foothill towns of Washington State. Not one damn bit.

Posted by fjordgirl on March 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM · Report this
There one or two decent shots here. The rest are not evocative at all.
Posted by rbuzby on March 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM · Report this
... Condolenses ro all-human/animals-in this tragic event-from a STRANGER reader in Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA--Terry Gibson-Regina, SK CANADA ... take care ...
Posted by Terry Gibson on March 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM · Report this
I wouldn't say any of those images is particularly compelling. Was that mobile home even part of the disaster?
Posted by dean.fuller on March 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM · Report this