Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Shelf Deception: A Clear-Eyed Look at the Record Collector

Posted by on Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

This is funny because it's true—all of it. Shout out to creator Matt Ingebretson for having the David Stoughton and Labradford LPs, and the Pärson Sound box set—and for providing the witty and shitty truth at the core of this clip. Record collectors are the worst best worst best.

Betsy Ross 1
He's right about Harlem River Drive.
Posted by Betsy Ross on March 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM · Report this
T 2
I chuckled. But that 1x5 Ikea shelf stacked on top of the 5x5 makes me very uncomfortable. Who on earth would think that's a good idea?
Posted by T on March 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
Ha ha ha, that was good.

If there's someone out there for whom Black Rose really did change their life, THAT would be a great interview.

Posted by Dougsf on March 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM · Report this
fletc3her 4
Well it's probably better than putting the 5x5 on the 1x5, but side by side would be more safe in an earthquake.

All my records fit in a little black box I can put in my pocket. But then I've always tried to be more about the listening than the collecting.
Posted by fletc3her on March 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
@2, 4: If they were attached to each other as well as to the wall there shouldn't be any issues in a quake. You can see the unused wall bracket holes in the first second of video though (he has the back facing out), so unless he DIY'd some sort of wall attachment he might be in for an expensive surprise.

BTW if anyone wants to buy a 1x5 in Black/Brown (they're discontinued) I have one new, still in the box. $100 obo.
Posted by Henry on March 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM · Report this
@6 The acting's terrible but they should've left that scene in High Fidelity.
Posted by illiterati on March 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM · Report this