Monday, March 24, 2014

Death Toll Rises in Snohomish County Mudslide

Posted by on Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

This is so sad:

Follow Snohomish County's Twitter feed for the latest, most accurate news updates on the mudslide. If you'd like to help, Seattlish explained earlier today where you can send donations.

Will in Seattle 1
See, climate change does have consequences
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 2
#1 so does slash to the ground forestry. Cut everything off the hill side and POOF! No climate change needed.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on March 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
@1, 2: is there any actual evidence that these 2 issues were contributing factors? it rains hard up there all the time, and the hill was covered in second growth trees.

seems like the problem was more like building housing at the toe of a known geologic hazard.

Posted by Max Solomon on March 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
I remembered the hike I took right around there - Squire Creek Pass. The access road is cut short a mile from the TH by the scariest slide I've ever seen - the chute is like 1500' high.

Posted by Max Solomon on March 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 5
I'm not invested in this issue, however out of answers @1 @2 and @3 I will side with @3 in today's edition of The Blame Game.
Posted by dnt trust me on March 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM · Report this
pragmatic 6
@3 I wouldn't concern myself with those two much, they continue to display that they know nothing other than they like to type on a keyboard.
Posted by pragmatic on March 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 7
@2: So does more than twice the average amount of rain for a month.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 8
The sheer vertical wall left where the hillside slid away reminded me of a sinkhole.Wonder if some of that was going on.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on March 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM · Report this
JonnoN 9
nuke this thread
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on March 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 10
Yeah, climate change didn't contribute: I guess you have to ignore the fact rain fall for March is 5 inches above normal.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 25, 2014 at 3:49 AM · Report this
How cute, Slog pretending to care about gun loving, god-fearing, truck driving, single family home loving rural white Americans.

"climate change didn't contribute:"

What about the massive slide there in 1949, global warming too?
Posted by Keep moving your goal posts on March 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM · Report this