and Drunks

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sammy Davis Junior Mint LIVES!

Posted by on Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM

We got a new refrigerator this week at the Stranger office, and unearthed this decade-old gem from an old Stranger cover: the Sammy Davis Junior Mint sculpture by artist Michael Sanchez!

THE CANDY MAN Is grossing me out
  • THE CANDY MAN Is grossing me out

That's right—we have a little bust of Sammy Davis Jr. made entirely out of Junior Mints chilling in our fridge.

Kelly O said she didn't know what to do with it after she shot it, so it just lived in the fridge FOR A DECADE, covered in a little stainless steel pot. Someone moved it into the new fridge, and I'm just not sure I can abide this.

keshmeshi 1
So was there always that caramel-looking stuff on the plate or is that seepage from the thing over the course of a decade?
Posted by keshmeshi on March 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
gah!
Posted by Urgutha Forka on March 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Have you maybe considered calling the hazmat unit of your local fire department? Ten years in the fridge? That's Tyvek jumpsuit and respirator territory.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM · Report this
treacle 4
Why.... why isn't it moldy?!?!?!

I'm never eating a Junior Mint again. EVEN IF it's infused in vodka.

Put it back in the new fridge and never speak of it again.
Posted by treacle on March 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Fnarf 5
That fridge needs to be completely emptied and bleached, if not thrown away. There shouldn't be anything in there that's over a year old except maybe a jam jar or condiment bottle -- and even those have expiration dates. If I worked there I'd have everything in there in the trash before you idiots even knew what was happening.

I swear, a phone call to L&I or OSHA would probably get The Stranger shut down.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM · Report this
I wish there was a photo on this article page! Look, he won, in 2003! http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/in-ar…
Posted by Kelly O on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Wait is it made of junior mints or thin mints? I'm confused now b/c of the girl scouts reference. SO MANY QUESTIONS!!
Posted by kmoondawg on March 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 8
you people disgust me.
Posted by Max Solomon on March 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Oh duh. Danielle found the photo... Here he is, in his youth:
Posted by Kelly O on March 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 10
Jesus.

Call Cienna, she'll eat it.

Was it that hard to figure out, people?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on March 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 11
What the fuck is wrong with you people?

For the love of god, at least do not just transfer the rotten garbage from the old fridge to the new one.

Use those lowly paid (maybe) interns you have for what they are there for.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Posted by Hanoumatoi on March 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM · Report this
emma's bee 13
I am reminded of Dirk Gently in "The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul"--watch it carefully for signs of any emerging gods.
Posted by emma's bee on March 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM · Report this
mkyorai 14
@9 huh. It was even more horrifying in the prime of its existence. Fascinating.

And, my god, you people live like savages. And not fastidious, gay Savages. Actual, jungle-dwelling savages.
Posted by mkyorai on March 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM · Report this
rob! 15
I was just about to type "What the fuck is wrong with you people?" when my eyes strayed up to @11.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Dougsf 16
An ex of mine once made a bust of me entirely from Rice Krispy treats (I very much love Rice Krispy treats). It is one of the best things anyone has ever done (not just for me, but EVER.) We consumed most of it before the ants came, and OMG YOU DON'T SAVE STUFF LIKE THIS.
Posted by Dougsf on March 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
I'm in the process of moving house and have, in the clearing out stage, found some things I'm not proud of. But eww, nothing like Mr Sammy Davis Jr Mint. It's like those jars of honey that survived intact from the ancient Egyptian pharoahs' tombs. Or my ex mother in law's jam, which even mold wouldn't touch.
Posted by originalcinner on March 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Some people just want to watch the world burn (like me). :)
Posted by tmplknght on March 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM · Report this
NotSean 19
Who can take a rainbow,
wrap it in a sigh
Soak it in the sun
and make a groovy lemon pie?
Posted by NotSean on March 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Allyn 20
I'm with @11 WTF is *wrong* with you? Seriously. I work with f-ing engineers and CAD kids - they're disgusting and you folks take the fucking cake (and put it in the fridge for a decade and dare each other to eat it with a cup of moldy coffee).

Jesus.
Posted by Allyn on March 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Call Seinfeld's Elaine. If she can eat JFK's wedding cake, she can eat that! God, I actually got a tummy ache just looking at that horror.
Posted by iseult on March 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 22
I think this just confirms to me that the "chocolate" coating on Thin Mints (and the peanut butter cookies) is actually just food-grade paraffin.
Posted by keshmeshi on March 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
TVDinner 23
I think Anna needs to value her labor more highly. I mean, my ex once nailed his scrotum to a bar in New Orleans for $400, and I'm pretty sure eating this would be worse.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on March 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 24
The Stranger: the only paper I know with a Pulitzer on their shelf and a decaying decade-old Sammy Davis Jr sculpture in their fridge.

Please never change.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Wow! Over 24 comments and no one has asked what the chunk on his forehead is supposed to be. I know he had a prosthetic eye but not a big extra eyebrow! Which reminds me of that great scene from All In The Family, where Archie Bunker meetis him. Sorry, I don't know how to link stuff. Anyway, this is a great find and an hysterical thread!
Posted by Beth on March 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM · Report this
@25: the chunk wasn't there in the original photo (@9). I'm guessing it's just a slab of hair that fell off when the whole thing dried out.

However, the rabid drool in the original is quite exquisite, and appears only to have improved with age.
Posted by originalcinner on March 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Dougsf 27
bet the artists fingers still smell like mint.
Posted by Dougsf on March 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 28

I would build it a Junior Mint sanitation truck with a faulty ignition.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on March 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM · Report this
I thought that was Old Gregg from the Mighty Boosh.
Posted by CorySC on March 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM · Report this