Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Decibel Founder Sean Horton Makes Rolling Stone's "50 Most Important People in EDM" List

Posted by on Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM

music-lead-570.jpg
  • Kelly O

Rolling Stone confirms what we’ve thought about Seattle promoter/DJ/musician Sean Horton for over a decade: He’s a crucial catalyst for bringing world-class electronic-music talent to our city via Decibel Festival and many other events. He has played a huge role in making Seattle an essential node on the global electronic-music circuit. In a recently posted list of the 50 most important people in EDM (compiled by three writers, including former Stranger contributor Michaelangelo Matos), Rolling Stone placed Horton at #43, in between Interscope’s dance-music A&R man Dave Rene and Paxahau’s Jason Huvaere and Sam Fotias, who run Detroit’s Movement festival.

As with any list of this nature, there are several righteous inclusions and many dubious ones—and a lot of businesspeople you've probably never heard of (do you know #1 pick, James Barton of Live Nation?), reflecting how massive of a cash cow this music has become. And you could kill a couple hours thinking about the exclusions, if you really wanted to. But no matter your quibbles with the selections, Horton belongs here—even if he can’t stand the term “EDM.”

Horton and co. are putting on more events than ever—including tonight's Nils Frahm performance at Triple Door—leading up to the 11th annual Decibel Festival, which happens Sept. 24-28 at several Seattle venues. Congratulations, Sean.

dnt trust me 1
Probably at least 10 times I've read on Slog from other people who comment - Rolling Stone sucks, Rolling Stone is irrelevant, etc.

Try listening to your readers, Assfuck.
Posted by dnt trust me on March 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM · Report this
fletc3her 2
I love that he's on the list. I slowly became aware of decibel as I started to notice that so many of the live events I was going to were tied to them. I find the festival a bit exhausting, but I saw several incredible artists last year and am really looking forward to seeing what they have this year.

In the meantime he's bringing The Orb to Seattle, again. That's enough to make me love him.
Posted by fletc3her on March 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM · Report this
hermann_hermann 3
James Barton, you've come a long way from Liverpool! Not bad for a scouser!
Posted by hermann_hermann on March 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM · Report this
yelahneb 4
Woah - exactly 50, you say. What are the chances?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on March 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM · Report this
Nordic 5
Thanks for the continued support Dave. This city owes a lot to your journalistic excellence.
Posted by Nordic http://www.myspace.com/nordicsoul on March 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM · Report this