Saturday, March 15, 2014

Women's Health Care Clinic in Montana Destroyed by Anti-Choice Vandal

Posted by on Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Susan Cahill has been offering family practice services in Kalispell, Montana since 1976. She has provided abortions as one part of her comprehensive reproductive healthcare model—and this is why she was targeted by an anti-choice extremist. The damage at All Families Healthcare has been described by Susan Cahill as "a total loss." All of the equipment was systematically destroyed, records were trashed, and personal effects, including pictures and cards, were purposefully ruined. Susan Cahill and all of the staff at All Families Healthcare need our support—emotionally and financially! Read her own inspiring words in a letter to the editor for the Daily Interlake.

There's an online campaign to raise money to rebuild All Families Healthcare. Terry and I made a donation this morning. If you have a few bucks to spare, consider kicking in.

Karl42 1
When does this get called a hate crime, I wonder?
Posted by Karl42 on March 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM · Report this
delirian 2
The vandal/thief/burglar Zachary Klundt is the son of an anti-abortion group's board member Twyla Klundt. In my opinion, this group should be held responsible and have their assets and properties seized.
Posted by delirian on March 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 3
This is really fucking shitty.

And the Michele Bachmann's of the world claim that they're the ones who are bullied. The projection issues right wing extremists have are breathtaking in their absurdity.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on March 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Thanks for the link. Just donated.
Posted by sloggerette on March 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM · Report this
And they will know we are Christians by our love...
Posted by Chase on March 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM · Report this
raindrop 6
@3: So, as ditzy as Michele Bachmann is, she and other 'Michele Bachmann's' don't condone violence. It's like associating Nancy Pelosi with the ELF or Barack Obama with Bill Ayers.
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 7
And now cue the synchophant to make sure we all know how not-as-bad Michele Bachmann is from someone who would trash an abortion clinic like this. Because of all the things said or inspired by the article and this thread, that is by far the most important.

She enables the people who do this dear raindrop, while you are part of the people enable her.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on March 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM · Report this
I'm with @2. Jesus, what a bunch of fucktards. I hope they lose everything they own in order to compensate the victims. Donating now.
Posted by StuckInUtah on March 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM · Report this
raindrop 9
@7: The word 'enable' is delightfully stretchable to suit any narrative or talking point, isn't it?
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Knat 10
Despite my hometown being such a small place, I find it surprising how often it shows up on Slog. So far, I have yet to be filled with pride as a result.

I really regret that I can't afford to throw more money their way than the pittance that I did.
Posted by Knat on March 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM · Report this
@9 A little self reflection on this issue would do both you and Michele some good.

As I once told a pro-choice friend who had developed an unfortunate habit of going down and screaming at anti-choice protesters at our local office of planned parenthood. You run the risk of becoming the thing your protesting against.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on March 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 12
I'd like to see the anti abortion people volunteer to go to that clinic and help clean up.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on March 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM · Report this
raindrop 13
@11- I don't look at it that way. No matter what the extreme view is (anti-abortion or anti-animal testing by labs) good people can have these views. The line between extreme passion and crime is not a blur, but an act of criminal premeditation to inflict harm and property damage. To always equate the actions of the loner/small groups with the larger political causes is disingenuous and incorrect.
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM · Report this
rob! 14
@raindrop, according to the majority of conservatives, you are a gay beaver gnawing one of the legs off Saint Ronald of Reagan's ideological stool.

I will never understand why you want to carry water (or chop wood) for those toads. Whatever your economic delusions, the only thing that explains it is internalized homophobia. They don't even want to look at you. They wish you were dead. They wish you had never been born. How does that make you feel?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM · Report this
raindrop 15
@14: I'm not carrying water or chopping wood. I'm interjecting rationality. A nun may subscribe to an anti-abortion web site, that doesn't mean that she's going to trash a clinic.
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM · Report this
raindrop 16
@14: In regard to the second part of your question and the silly notion of internalized homophobia and right leaning groups not liking gay folks. It all goes back to the same point: sexual orientation (or any other human attribute) and political philosophy are orthogonal. Conflicts arise over policy and laws. And those that misbehave should be held accountable.
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I was going to spend my tips on something pretty for myself, but saving the lives of other women is much higher on my list.

Oh, and fuck you raindrop. Just fuck you.
Posted by treehugger on March 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Donated & shared. Thank you.

@11 Pro-choice advocates do "clinic defense" which involves engaging with anti-choice protesters. The purpose of this is to deflect/absorb their abuse and harassment. Anti-choice protesters are there to harass patients and any young women who walk by, and clinic defenders try to prevent some or all of this conduct. I consider this to be important work. I'm sorry you cannot see the difference between people shouting at those who deserve it and people shouting at vulnerable patients who just want to get health care.
Posted by wxPDX on March 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM · Report this
The large sections of the anti-choice movement who subscribe to "abortion is murder" share responsibility for violence against abortion clinics and abortion providers. Trying to stop a murderer is not a crime but a moral obligation. The fact that not more people do this means that - thankfully - not that many people take "abortion is murder" literally. But if you state it over and over again, you have to expect that some will.
Posted by adam.smith on March 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM · Report this
By a rainbow colored Beaver (why are social conservatives so freaking obsessed with women's genitals?) I assume the group that produced that ad are talking about the Log Cabin Republicans and the newer libertarian faction led by Paul/Ryan.
Posted by StrangerThingsHaveHappened on March 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM · Report this
The anti-choice group that this domestic terrorist belongs to should be declared a terrorist organization and its members treated accordingly by the FBI, Homeland Security and the CIA. Each and every member should be shipped off to Guantanamo Bay and introduced to enhanced interrogation until they cough up the names of all co-conspirators. The conservatives made the rules so let their rules be followed to the letter in dealing with domestic terrorism.
Posted by Stop domestic terrorists on March 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM · Report this
Ophian 22
Damn, @14! That is one menacingly angry, uh, rainbow beaver.

Posted by Ophian on March 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM · Report this
raindrop 23
One has to wonder about all this GOProud bashing. You would think that there would be at least some admiration or respect. The fact that there isn't suggests a fear of a tear in the demo-gay stranglehold.
Posted by raindrop on March 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM · Report this
GOP Proud bashing? What have they done that would elicit admiration or respect? They allow themselves to be denigrated by their fellow Republican right wingers (see recent CPAC convention for how gay Republicans were treated) without fighting back. I understand that sexual orientation does not equal political orientation. But putting politics first means that you allow the most rabidly homophobic right wingers free rein. GOP Proud and Log Cabin Republicans have internalized their party's anti-gay platform to the point that they seem grateful for the crumbs offered to them. In the end, their willingness to shut up and go along so as not to "hurt the party" in fact keeps the Republican Party from making the changes necessary to appeal to younger voters and will keep the party from winning Presidential elections even while they successfully (for now) defend their gerrymandered Congressional seats.
Posted by Lindie on March 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM · Report this
rob! 25
I should provide more info about the issue I raised @14 (i.e., CPAC's disdain for GOProud). A fairly good summary is here, which contains a small picture of the noxious flyer. The image linked @14, which can be enlarged enough to read, was originally tweeted by Chris Moody, a political reporter at Yahoo! News. He was formerly a reporter at the Daily Caller and a media manager at the Cato Institute.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 15, 2014 at 10:36 PM · Report this
Posted by Dr Jeep on March 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM · Report this
rob! 27
Bringing @26 out of the unregistered shadows:
100USD from a Scottish GP. I am very thankful that we do not have to deal with stuff like that here. To my American colleagues, nil illegitemi carborundum. —Posted by Dr Jeep
A lovely gesture and sentiment ("nil illegitemi carborundum" ≈ "don't let the bastards grind you down").
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM · Report this
@18 Yes I understand the whole pro-choice escort thing at clinics under siege it is a good thing. Unfortunately it wasn't the escorting part that my friend was there for. In the beginning sure, but very quickly it turned and it was the conflict that she was getting off on.

In some ways it is like Raindrop's knee jerk rush to defend the Republican party without reflection, regardless of the issue at hand. Go team, my team, right or wrong, defend to the end. No matter that the Republican party long ago jettison anything resembling an actual thoughtful conservative political philosophy in favor or a purely reactionary nihilism.

For whatever reason Raindrop has chosen the Republican party as his home I'm ok with that respect it even. I just wish that he'd spend his energy on repairing that home rather then reflexively attempting to defend it's negative actions.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on March 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM · Report this
Raindrop, the reason we equate the actions of the GOP with the actions of his violent anti-choicer is that they work to accomplish the same goal: To restrict (or eliminate) women's access to reproductive health services. Both are destructive. One is doing so with violence and the other is using the law. Personally, I am just as opposed to the message they are sending as I am to the violence, if not more so.
Posted by kellarules on March 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM · Report this
raindrop 30
@28, @29, @24. It's called baby steps. We have two parties and American politics, unfortunately, does not seem to provide the fertility to have a third party. My disposition on the matter has nothing to do with an oppressed minority, because the answer to that is already answered by having a president that faithfully executes the office and defends the constitution.

Unfortunately, any third party attempt seems to die and the R's and the D's share the spoils.

I would be more than happy to switch to the Democrats when they gain that confidence. Until that, Machiavelli, I am already repairing as we speak.
Posted by raindrop on March 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 31
@28 - Perfectly stated.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on March 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM · Report this
@ 30 - You seriously vote for Republicans because they are more confident in themselves? You should maybe Google the Dunning–Kruger effect and then rethink that.
Posted by MiscKitty on March 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM · Report this
raindrop 33
@32: Thanks for spotting that. Should have read "my confidence" instead.
Posted by raindrop on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
raindrop 34
@31: More often than not, you're mainly a "thumbs up" kinda slogger.
Posted by raindrop on March 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 35
I hate Seattle hypocrites. The same people who RIGHTLY get angry when a woman's right to choose is infringed upon are the same people who try to prevent a poor family from having the right to choose a charter or private school with a voucher.
Was the asshole who did this a piece of shit? Yes. But is a gun shop was burned down I doubt the Stranger would be flipping out over the piece of shit that did that.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on March 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM · Report this
I can't recall ever hearing about vandalism at a Men's Health Clinic.
Posted by parisimo on March 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 37
@34 - I bite my thumb at you sir.

@35 - Well I hate hypocrites who conflate unrelated topics in laughable attempts to spread the Ron Paul revolution. :-)
Posted by Pridge Wessea on March 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM · Report this
@ 33 - What has the current Republican party done to gain your confidence?
Posted by MiscKitty on March 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM · Report this
@30 I said nothing about you becoming a Democrat. Let alone a knee jerk running dog Democrat. Far from it. I'm merely suggesting you stop running like a dog for any idiot thing that calls itself Conservative or Republican.

I suspect I'm much more conservative then you'd recognize at first. Oh to be sure I'm a dyed in the wool American Liberal and proud of it. But that does not mean I don't recognize appreciate the contributions of conservative thinkers to our body politic.

Tis true we only have two political parties in this country but that doesn't mean you have to shill for one or the other. You choose to do that on your own. In other words, I'm suggesting you do less shilling and more repair work.

@37 I love that scene.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on March 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 40
@37
This article was about anti-choice morons, and I asked why one group of anti-choice morons (those who are against reproductive rights) get called out by Savage while at the same time he himself is an anti-choice morons when it comes to guns and money.
And Ron Paul was okay but was anti-abortion and luke warm on gay rights. Why doesn't anyone ever call me a "Spooner-tard"? He is the guy I have on my avatar photo, not Ron Paul. It couldn't be because the Authoritarian readers of the SStranger (spelled with a double S on purpose) aren't smart enough to know who Lysander Spooner was...no, it couldn't be...
Posted by collectivism_sucks on March 17, 2014 at 1:18 AM · Report this
venomlash 41
@40: I'm staunchly pro-choice, and I believe that if a woman is going to medically terminate a pregnancy, it must be done in sanitary conditions by a medical professional in good standing with his/her regulatory and licensing agency. With regard to gun rights, you (and most other people on the pro-guns side of things) consider it oppressive and unjust that people should have to pass background checks or register their firearms.
Posted by venomlash on March 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 42
@41
It is unjust for a former criminal to no longer have the second amendment, just as it is unjust for an ex-con to be denied the right to vote or any other right. If they're on probation, fine, they can't get a gun, but if they made some mistakes years ago why should that stop them from either voting or owning a gun today? I would be okay with a five year waiting period for convicted felons to be allowed the right to bear arms again, but that's about it.
I am pro-second chances just as I am pro-reproductive freedom.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on March 18, 2014 at 12:16 AM · Report this