and Drunks

Friday, March 14, 2014

Gun-Crazy Country: A 17-Year-Old Boy In Your 16-Year-Old Daughter's Room?

Posted by on Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Herman said the man told investigators he heard noises in his home and went to investigate. He encountered the 17-year-old boy in his daughter's bedroom. There was a confrontation and the teen was shot. He died at the scene.

No other injuries were reported. However, Herman said, the father complained of possible panic attacks after the shooting and was taken to a nearby hospital.

Herman said investigators learned the teen was a friend of the daughter's and she had let the boy into the home. Deputies recovered a handgun at the scene.

Expect the daughter to be blamed for this tragedy and not guns.

Theodore Gorath 1
Why are so many gun owners terrified of everything that moves? I mean, even if you think the kid was a burgler or something, why not at least ask who he is/why the hell he is in your house once you have him at gunpoint? One question and a horrid tragedy is averted.

Gun nuts are like those little yapping dogs...so scared and weak they need to bark and bark so no one notices. What a bunch of cowards.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM · Report this
Expect Mudede to accidentally a word...
Posted by treehugger on March 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM · Report this
The daughter lied and said she didn't know the boy.

Yes, it's her fault.
Posted by delbert on March 14, 2014 at 8:13 AM · Report this
When your teenage daughter says she doesn't know the teenage boy that snuck into her room at 2:30 AM I guess you shouldn't believe her ?

According to detectives, his 16-year-old daughter let a 17-year-old boy in the house and snuck him into her bedroom.

The father walked in and asked questions, but his daughter claimed to not to know the male teen. The father then called 911, but an argument ensued with the teenage boy.

The father told police the boy dropped his hands as if to grab something, so the man opened fire. The teen died at the scene.
No other injuries were reported, but the father was transported to the hospital to be checked out for medical reasons as he complained that he was not feeling well. Constables said the man appeared to be on several medications.
Posted by ChefJoe on March 14, 2014 at 8:13 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
It appears they are all to blame.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM · Report this
lark 6
Yes, most unfortunate. Speaking of teens & trouble, I just read this ghastly story:

This behavior is just abject savagery. Sigh. I do hope the little tyke recovers.
Posted by lark on March 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 7
Daughter says she doesn't know perp, therefore he is probably a rapo.
Posted by Lew Siffer on March 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 8
I want to know how many other details converge here. Is the dad an NRA member? A Christian, esp the evangelical flavor? Did the daughter sign a purity pledge? I.e. how many tiny seemingly-not significant details went awry here...?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on March 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 9
@7 it's still early in the morning and you're already wrong. Re-read the bold text in the article, please.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on March 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM · Report this
@9, your error is expecting Charles to link to a good article describing the incident. About half the space is devoted to some other shooting.

See what I posted "Her younger brother went to say good night and saw two feet sticking out under the bed, detectives said. He then went to get his father.

The father walked in and asked questions, but his daughter claimed to not to know the male teen."
Posted by ChefJoe on March 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 11
@4: Thanks for the better article. Given that there might have been a rape, or the father killed, or both - well.... I'll stop there.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM · Report this
I would say that whoever pulled the trigger should be blamed.

You know, personal responsibility and all.
Posted by CPN on March 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 13
i'm picturing a younger brother going to say goodnight to his 16 year old sister at 2:30 in the morning.

everything smells in this one.

but don't worry, 5280 will be along shortly to relate a home invasion self-defense. it does happen, approx. 1/1000 shootings.

here's a favorite of the it-happens-all-the-time crowd: http://thearmedcitizen.com/mother-opens-…

Posted by Max Solomon on March 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM · Report this
@1 "Why are so many gun owners terrified of everything that moves?"

Have you seen the statistics on how often people are shot with their own guns?

At that point, it's already an armed encounter, with only the sorting of the quick and the dead remaining.
Posted by Yee Haw! Pew! Pew! Pew! on March 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM · Report this
raindrop 15
@13: As well as for the it-does-actually-happen crowd.
Posted by raindrop on March 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM · Report this
I survived a home invasion nearly 30 years ago, using common sense and not a gun.

Still don't own or use a firearm at 64 because I'm not a pissy pants NRA member scared of his own shadow.

And the results? I'm still alive and no one has ever been killed in my house, accidentally or otherwise.

Sure anecdote isn't evidence, however, keeping a gun in your home makes it something like 12 times more likely you, your family, friends or any poor soul in your gun nut domicile will be shot, than you'll ever have to wave the thing at a home invader.

I don't like those odds and common sense has saved me more than once.
Posted by judybrowni on March 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this
"Having a gun in your home significantly increases your risk of death — and that of your spouse and children.

And it doesn’t matter how the guns are stored or what type or how many guns you own.

If you have a gun, everybody in your home is more likely than your non-gun-owning neighbors and their families to die in a gun-related accident, suicide or homicide.

Furthermore, there is no credible evidence that having a gun in your house reduces your risk of being a victim of a crime. Nor does it reduce your risk of being injured during a home break-in.

The health risks of owning a gun are so established and scientifically non-controvertible that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement in 2000 recommending that pediatricians urge parents to remove all guns from their homes.

Notice that the recommendation doesn’t call for parents to simply lock up their guns. It stresses that the weapons need to be taken out of the house."
Posted by judybrowni on March 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM · Report this

"Children aged 5 to 14 in the United States are 11 times more likely to die from an accidental gunshot wound than children in other developed countries....

Children in the U.S. get murdered with guns at a rate that is 13 times higher than that of other developed nations. For our young people aged 15 to 24, the rate is 43 times higher..."

Posted by judybrowni on March 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 19
How's telling people about your fake stats of "gun in the house" working out for you? Tons of guns being turned in?
Posted by Lew Siffer on March 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM · Report this
raindrop 20
@16 - One would generally agree, but Detroit (re: @13)?
Posted by raindrop on March 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 21
@4,

Given that the father was allegedly "asking questions" shortly before he shot the kid, then I'd hazard a guess that, no, he didn't believe his daughter.

Imagine walking into your teenage daughter's room to find a supposed male intruder in there. What do you do? Sit down for a friendly conversation or chase the guy out/beat the shit out of the guy/shoot the guy on sight?
Posted by keshmeshi on March 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM · Report this
I feel sorry for the next teen who tries to date the daughter!
Posted by pat L on March 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
Pretty sure if this man had a teenage son and found a girl in his room at 2:30 am, no one would have gotten shot and there maybe would have been a stern talking-to, with dad secretly pleased his son was such a stud. I know there's a fatherly instinct to protect their children, and daughters in particular, but there's definitely a sexist double-standard going on here as well.
Posted by JenV on March 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
raindrop 24
@23: Since you're "pretty sure" about this - what happened to Malaysia Airlines flight 370?
Posted by raindrop on March 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 25
@4- " Constables said the man appeared to be on several medications."

Too doped up to think straight? Make sure you keep a gun around!
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on March 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Right on schedule. The Gun Fetish Death Cult members turn every horrible avoidable death into a reason for more people to own guns.

The Death Cult members love these kinds of deaths. Even the deaths of toddlers they just turn around into an argument for more pro gun indoctrination.
Posted by cracked on March 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM · Report this
@25, or maybe he's currently taking a bunch of meds for chemotherapy or to combat AIDS.... doesn't matter. I'd be worried if a father who found out he shot his daughter's "secret" boyfriend didn't feel ill afterwards.
Posted by ChefJoe on March 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM · Report this
OirishOiyesAreSmilin 28
let's say it again...

GUN.

DEATH.

FETISH.

CULT.
Posted by OirishOiyesAreSmilin on March 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM · Report this
You're talking about how these stories keep getting posted to SLOG by people who have never been trained to handle guns, right ?
Posted by ChefJoe on March 14, 2014 at 6:17 PM · Report this
venomlash 30
@24: ...did you just conflate a guy being "pretty sure" about a hypothetical case with a guy necessarily knowing all things hidden or revealed? Wow, you suck at this.
Posted by venomlash on March 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM · Report this
Boring Dad is Boring 31
@28: I think it's Gun Fetish Death Cult. But I appreciate your enthusiasm, what with the caps and all.
Posted by Boring Dad is Boring on March 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Guy's under the bed, right? Daughter says she doesn't know him. Surely the thing you do is tell daughter to get the hell out of the room and call the police, while you stay in the room and make sure the punk doesn't get up until the cops arrive?
Posted by Fishface on March 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM · Report this
@29 Right on time! Not enough gun training. That's the only problem. Even the news about these horrible tragedies would not be getting through, but the only we reason be know about them - not enough training!

So, you have identified a problem, that people are finding out about these senseless deaths caused by the outrageous proliferation of firearms. But then you propose a solution! More gun training for reporters would somehow make them stop reporting on this issue. If people didn't report the senseless deaths, it would be as if they magically never happened!
Posted by cracked on March 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM · Report this
@33,
no, I think the GUN DEATH FETISH CULT is these internet bloggers who pick the least developed reporting on deaths caused by firearm use and carry it directly to "guns=tragic death" conclusions, all by a writer who has never gone through firearms training or safely used a gun in a controlled environment.

But, hey, maybe Dan Savage should do a whole series of interviews with the (roman catholic) pope and other church figures about which sex positions are the most exciting. I'm sure that'll be real informed.
Posted by ChefJoe on March 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 35
@34 - Cool story bro.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on March 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM · Report this
@34
I think it is more about getting more page hits for the advertising dollars.
Which is why the staff at The Stranger keep getting basic facts wrong.

"Guns seem to kill everyone (lovers, children, teenagers, mothers) except criminals:"

Why post a headline that is obviously incorrect?
Or is Charles so uninformed on the subject that he does not know it is incorrect?
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on March 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Call Judge Judy.
Posted by orange cat on March 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Guys, read the second story, posted at #4. Younger brother pokes his head into his sister's room to say goodnight, sees two feet sticking out from under the bed. Tells Pop, who gets his gun. Girl says she doesn't know the guy, Pop calls 911. While waiting, the kid drops his hands--Pop says he thought he was reaching for something--and Pop shoots him.

No one covered themselves with glory that night.
Posted by clashfan on March 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 39
@38: Don't confuse people with the facts; nobody here is interested in hearing an unbiased account.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM · Report this
See at @38 and @39, the Death Cult members are itching to find excuses to kill people. Whether or not it was necessary is totally immaterial to them. That is to say, it is getting to the point where the Cult teachings have people shooting with the flimsiest of pretexts, because they are taught it is not only excusable, but also is the MOST appropriate, necessary, response.
Posted by cracked on March 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM · Report this
OirishOiyesAreSmilin 41
#31,
Nope, it's right. Think about it.
Posted by OirishOiyesAreSmilin on March 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM · Report this
Last night it was snowing gangbusters around these parts when I opened my patio (first-floor, but no stairs from the parking pad to the patio) door to take a picture to send my snow-deprived friends. My dog decided to go for a romp in the snow (he loves the stuff, bless his hardy soul). I tried to call him back in when I was done with my pictures, but he was having fun and ignoring me, so I shut the door and took a seat in the room with the door, knowing he'd scratch when he was done. It was really late, maybe 1 AM.

A couple minutes later, my doorbell rings. We have a few nut-jobs in the neighborhood who occasionally ring doorbells late at night (sometimes begging, sometimes just acting crazy), so I ignored it. Then there was pounding on the door. I peeked out a window, didn't recognize the person, and ignored that, as well.

Then my dog starts barking like crazy and I hear a THUMP on my patio. I look out the window in the door to see the same man on my patio, and yell "GET OFF MY PATIO! I'M CALLING THE POLICE!" He ran up to the door and said "Wait, wait. I think there might be a misunderstanding. Is this your dog?" I told him it was, and he said "do you think you should leave him out here in this?" I then opened the door and said "is THAT why you were ringing my bell? He's been out here for all of 10 minutes, I'm waiting 2 feet from the door to let him in when he asks, and he loves the snow. He'll come back in when he's ready, probably in 10-15 minutes." He apologized, explained that he was concerned that the dog was going to spend the night out in these conditions, and just wanted to make sure he was cared for. Turns out he just moved in up the street and was on his way home when he saw my dog, alone, on the patio. We shook hands, I introduced him to my dog, and I let him out through the front door so he didn't have to jump back over the railing. He mildly insisted he could just jump back over the railing to avoid tracking snow through my house, if that tells you how much of a "bad guy" he is.

Had I been a paranoid gun nut, the dead, albeit over-zealous, dog-lover would have been morning news... I had no reason to shoot...I was locked safely inside my house. But that doesn't seem to stop the nuts. Not saying he should have jumped the railing, animal control and welfare is very responsive here and he could have just called them, but shooting him would have been a serious over-reaction, as well.
More...