- Forecast screen grab via Google
- Wear sunscreen (and polar fleece)
Just because you've made the (likely very sane) decision not to join the herds of music fans flocking to Austin, Texas for South by Southwest: the Musical, it doesn't mean that you have to miss out on all of the performances. In fact, it's likely that by staying home, making your own #tacos and picking up a six pack of Shiner, you might be able to catch some of the biggest acts of the week without leaving the comfort of you own couch, all the while avoiding the crush of revelers on Sixth Street jockeying for a prime spot in one of many lines.
A few places to start if you're looking to host a satellite SXSW viewing-party of your own:
- NPR: Your pledge drive dollars pay off with tonight's live webcast from Stubb's where NPR hosts Damon Albarn, St. Vincent, Kelis, Eagulls, and Perfect Pussy. Tomorrow, they'll also broadcast Lady Gaga's keynote address. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of hungover attendees made use of this option instead of trekking over to the Convention Center to grab a seat.
- Fader Fort (presented by Converse): The line just to pick up free w/RSVP wristbands typically stretches halfway across the city by noon, but the Fader promises a livestream of the festivities for the thousands who didn't RSVP in time and for those playing along at home. The packed lineup includes four full days and nights of parties, showcases, and DJ sets. Tonight, among others, you'll see Big Freedia and Little Dragon; Chromeo headlines tomorrow; Damon Albarn continues his tour of Austin with a stop at the Fort on Friday; Julian Casablancas, Rick Ross and "Special Guests" put the festival to bed on Saturday.
- iTunes Festival: Apple's brand-enhancing music festival made its SXSW debut last night with a performance headlined by Coldplay. Tender new songs were performed for an Austin crowd and simultaneously beamed all over the iUniverse to a cloud of iDevices. They're scheduled to broadcast all week — headliners include Kendrick Lamar tonight, Soundgarden tomorrow, Pitbull on Friday, and Keith Urban takes a break from judging American Idol to close out the weekend on Saturday — fire up your AppleTV or download the iTunes Festival app to watch live or at your leisure.
As for me, I'm about to catch a flight to experience the magic, the crowds, and the eternal search to trade commerce for free snacks. I've RSVP'ed to approximately three hundred events, of which I'll maybe attend six, but if you know of any hidden gems buried in the schedule, please feel free to play SXSW Concierge in the comments. See you back here, on Twitter, and Instagram, as the situation develops.