and Drunks

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cavity Search: Adult-Flavored Gummy Bears and Sophisticated Mini Eggs

Posted by on Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Grownup gummies.
  • The best of the best.
I'm not all that crazy about gummy candy, but sometimes you just want something sweet and soft that's not going to tear your mouth up (and before you start frothing at the mouth in the comments about hooves: I know). Months ago, I was at a gas station in Indiana when I came across a kind of Haribo called Juicy Gold-Bears. From what I understand from gummy enthusiasts, Gold-Bears are the gold standard, so I picked up a bag. I initially thought the "juicy" meant a Gusher-esque goo middle, but it turns out they're just Haribo Gold Bears with waaaaay better flavors! Very adult flavors: pear, black currant, peach, lime, and raspberry. More subtly sweet and less "brightly" flavored than the original bears—think primary colors versus in-between colors like mauve and teal and avocado—these are the best gummy bears I have ever had. So, when I saw these new bears at Grocery Outlet a few months ago in Seattle, I was very excited but also worried (excited I'd found them again; worried because Groc Out is often a poorly-selling new product's last dance). But don't you worry, in my recent travels, I've seen them in Oregon and also at a gas station in the middle of the California dessert this morning.

The adult gummies are the same size and texture as the original bears, and the ingredients on the back list intriguing things like concentrates from spinach, nettle, kiwi, and more. I'd say they're probably most comparable to the also-very-adult-tasting wine gum flavors, if I'm remembering how those taste correctly. Highly recommended!

zqb-23780b_1z.jpg
  • hersheys.com

Oh hey, I also have breaking news on these new Cadbury Royal Dark Mini Eggs. I'm assuming you already like Mini Eggs, because you're not a monster, so these are the exact same, only dark chocolate. SO! If you like dark chocolate, then you will probably like these. If you're more of a milk-chocolate person, then the original variety are going to be more your speed. Duh. I don't know why I thought there might be any other verdict. The Royal Dark eggs have deeper shell colors, and even though I'm coming around to dark chocolate as my tastebuds get more fancy, the original Mini Eggs are simply too hard to top in my book. (Although I have heard rumors of white chocolate Mini Eggs existing, so I will keep my mind open on this one.)

Taste subject 1, Lelah: "I like them both, but I prefer dark chocolate, so I think I like these ones better."

Taste subject 2, Eric: "I like milk chocolate better usually. The originals are better."

dnt trust me 1
Wait, is Goldie back? This looks like one of his posts.
Posted by dnt trust me on March 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM · Report this
I don't like dark chocolate at all, except for dark Cadbury's mini eggs. There's something decadent about them, that I just don't get from fancy brands like Lindt or Ghiradelli dark.
Posted by originalcinner on March 12, 2014 at 8:27 AM · Report this
Not a fan of dark chocolate at all, but will give these and the white chocolate ones a try because Mini Eggs.
Posted by Foonken2 on March 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Pear and Black Currant are standards in Europe, and are eaten by kids as well. Check out the ice cream flavors in a country to see what people like.
Posted by slugbiker http://www.seattlescrabble.org on March 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM · Report this
What @4 said. The number of times I've bitten into an American soft fruit chew expecting white to be pear or dark purple to be blackcurrant, and got "Concord grape" or some other kind of cough medicine flavor. Blech. Euro flavors are the biz.
Posted by originalcinner on March 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Fred Casely 6
I'm not sure anyone who suggests that "white chocolate" could be the best variety of a confection is a good judge of who is and isn't a monster.

But my favorite Easter candy is malted-milk Mini Robins' Eggs, so what do I know?
Posted by Fred Casely on March 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM · Report this
blowdart 7
If you think any type of fake "really made by Hersey's" Cadbury eggs are acceptable then your taste is automatically suspect.

Plus how the heck is raspberry an adult flavour?!
Posted by blowdart on March 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM · Report this
ERIN! 8
If you put Haribo gummy bears in the freezer for a couple hours first, you are in for a real treat.
Posted by ERIN! on March 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM · Report this
stinkbug 9
What % is the dark chocolate mini eggs?
Posted by stinkbug on March 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 10
@6 - I have only heard tell of the legend of the white Mini Egg, have never experienced. Those malted eggs are SO good! I want to do a column on malted things soon… what is "malt" even?

@7 - Mini Eggs are an Easter blessing and you know it. And raspberry is only adult in comparison to other "reds" (raspberry > cherry > strawberry, etc.).
Posted by Emily Nokes on March 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
blowdart 11
@10 I had a friend come over from the UK 3 weeks ago and bring me proper Cadbury mini-eggs and creme eggs. Now that was a blessing.
Posted by blowdart on March 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 12
@10,

Malt is a germinated and dried grain, usually barley.
Posted by keshmeshi on March 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 13
@11,

What's the difference? (That's a genuine inquiry, not a retort.)
Posted by keshmeshi on March 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM · Report this
blowdart 14
@13 For me UK chocolate, which I grew up with, is less chalky and richer than herseys. The UK has a higher cocoa solid requirement (20%). In the UK a cadbury's milk chocolate bar contains 22% as opposed to the woeful 11% of a US hershey bar. (Although Europeans would scoff at either meagre amount). The UK also uses West African cocoa, as opposed to South American beans. The powdered milk is different, and worse of all the US loads even more sugar in (Hell you people have sugar in bread, I can't get a decent loaf here) and adds PGPR a lovely chemical cocktail which acts in place of cocoa butter.

Now the uptown Met Market has a small british section which includes mars bars and milky ways. So I urge you to splurge on a bar just to see what the cheap UK choccy tastes like. Except it's not so cheap any more.
Posted by blowdart on March 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 15
@14,

I've bought the Smarties there, for $4 a pop. I'll have to try a Mars bar as well.

Mostly I was curious because even Hershey's Cadbury is still superior, to my tastebuds, than Hershey's Hershey's. That the UK version is superior doesn't surprise me.
Posted by keshmeshi on March 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM · Report this