Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Vintage Siouxsie and the Banshees on BBC Channel 4

Posted by on Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I'm embarrassed—I'm just watching this for the first time today (and without having dropped acid). Which is weird 'cause, during the '80s, I had HELLA goth friends and they were ALL fucking obsessed with Siouxsie and the Banshees (and acid). Seriously, they collected ever scrap of anything Siouxsie Sioux, yet no one sussed out a copy of THIS. Anyway, the show was part of a series called Play At Home Special and originally aired in 1984 on BBC Channel 4. The point of the series was to give edgy musicians/bands an hour to invent/produce their own auto-biographical narrative.

There were four separate, hour long episodes produced: New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Virginia Astley and the Banshees. For the Banshees' episode, beside their rabbit hole "narrative," we also get six songs/videos, including a couple from their satellite groups, the Glove and the Creatures. Play At Home Special Present - Siouxsie & The Banshees is quite good, disturbing at some points and MOST awesome at all the rest.

This Banshees episode was also made during one of Robert Smith's stints in the band, hence his inclusion. Otherwise, we all know Mr. Smith, and his iconic hair, from the Cure.

Max Solomon 1
Virginia Astley? Seriously, I have never heard of her.
Posted by Max Solomon on March 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM · Report this
very bad homo 2
Wow, I've never seen this either, and I was a Siouxsie obsessive.
Posted by very bad homo on March 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
Dang, i'm going to have to get a hold of the Echo and the Bunnyman number too.
Posted by Dougsf on March 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
@ 1, it's kind of like The Decline of Western Civilization featuring half a dozen of the most important LA punk bands ... and Catholic Discipline.
Posted by Matt from Denver on March 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Camembert 5
Channel 4 has nothing to do with the BBC. They're both publicly-owned but Channel 4 isn't funded by the licence fee and runs adverts, which the BBC doesn't.

Channel 4 used to be the best channel, back when we only had 4 channels. I'd stay up and watch subtitled foreign films when I was meant to be sleeping before school. And Eurotrash. Now we have 800 channels and Channel 4 is just repeats of How I Met Your Mother.
Posted by Camembert on March 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 6
Did Channel 4 run Dark Place, or is it just part of the joke?
Posted by tabletop_joe on March 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM · Report this
nipper 7
@1 I'd never heard of her either. Interesting stuff tho.

@5 THANKS! I landed here - http://www.channel4.com/news/bbc and assumed it was a BBC channel.
Posted by nipper on March 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
stinkbug 8
I don't get why you're "embarrassed" at this point that you didn't see this in the '80s. Pre-internet it was harder to find out about all the nooks and crannies in the world. You would obsess and get as much as possible but you still knew that likely there was more out there (which kept you looking for more).
Posted by stinkbug on March 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM · Report this
LEE. 10
Can't wait to check this out!

@4 - I see what you did there.
Posted by LEE. on March 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM · Report this
treacle 11
Thanks!
Posted by treacle on March 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM · Report this
thelyamhound 13
@12 -
I don't like living in a world where we have to tell the kids what bands Robert smith is in.

Agreed!
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on March 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM · Report this