Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Betabrand's Entire Spring Wardrobe Is Modeled By...Women with Ph.Ds?

Posted by on Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I am all about diversity among clothing models, but I am highly conflicted about this. From AdWeek:

Betabrand, an online retailer of crowdsourced clothing, just launched its spring line, and the company decided to take a different approach to marketing the new looks: Each of the models would have a Ph.D.

The models, AdWeek quickly points out, are all thin and conventionally pretty. And, AdWeek does not point out, they are also almost all white.

I mean...I guess I like this, because I like the idea of using a wide variety of people to model clothes. But I also don't love it because, realistically, Ph.Ds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Diverse representation is cool, but this feels like theoretical diversity, rather than, you know, visual diversity.

You can look at all of the models and outfits here. The clothes are, to be honest, pretty cute.

What do you think? Good/bad?

The models, AdWeek quickly points out, are all thin and conventionally pretty.

Are you seriously implying that there ought to be fat, ugly models?
Posted by Reader01 on March 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM · Report this
fletc3her 2
Whatever models they use doesn't change the fact that Betabrand sells a bunch of overpriced crap. Sweatpants that look like jeans which cost more than jeans!
Posted by fletc3her on March 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM · Report this
fletc3her 3
No wait, it's sweat pants that look like slacks which cost more than slacks. Plus, hundred dollar hoodies!
Posted by fletc3her on March 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 4
I also feel like it's really devaluing to the work that models whose job it is to model things do. Like LOL FUCK THESE IDIOTS WE NORMALLY USE.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on March 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Yeah, it's pretty misguided. And I agree with @4...I would add, too, that there's kind of a classist element to it.

Anyway, the point is, I can't enjoy anything anymore.
Posted by Grape Ape on March 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM · Report this
I have mixed feelings about it. Are they trying to make some statement about how smart woman can be pretty too? Which implies what about regular models intelligence?
But as a PhD having female person I am excited my body can be used to sell clothes I can't afford too!
Posted by SantiagoFan on March 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM · Report this
So now you have to have a degree (a PhD, no less!) to work as a clothing model? Are there really no jobs left for people who choose not to go into debt to pay for higher ed? I wonder how long does it take to pay off the average (or even the reasonably cheapest) PhD on an average model's salary.

Yeah I know this is a gimmick and most modeling jobs don't give a damn about a PhD. But it seems that adding a level of diversity that only excludes more people is oxymoronic. They are already all white, conventionally pretty, and uncommonly thin.

And not everyone should have to go to college (time consuming and expensive) to in order to get a job. Honestly, most jobs do not require that much education.
Posted by CobaltBlue on March 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM · Report this
I used to joke that all the fabulous scantily clad babes on the machine shop calendars must be engineers.
Posted by wenchacha on March 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM · Report this
delirian 9
This is why clothes and fashion models need to unionize. There aren't enough jobs anyways, and often they pay shit (sometimes they compensate with clothes), and now companies want to play gimmicks?
Posted by delirian on March 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 10
@5: Oh, definitely. Devaluing of work seems to be a really strong indicator of classism a lot of the time, as it often is for folks in retail/service industries, as well.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on March 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM · Report this
PhDs need jobs too.
Posted by matrac on March 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Circular firing squad, commence!
Posted by Madasshatter on March 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM · Report this
SchmuckyTheCat 13
If this was art instead of advertising Jen Graves would be hailing a gallery show of diverse art centered around a demographic theme of artists.
Posted by SchmuckyTheCat on March 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM · Report this
Odd that a 25-year-old white thin PhD doesn't look any different (or make the clothes look any different) than a 25-year-old white thin non-PhD.

And where's the proof that these are actually PhDs anyway?
Posted by sarah70 on March 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM · Report this
word3 15
Wow, those clothes look really dowdy. Count me in as one insulted PhD.
Posted by word3 on March 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 16
Just to pick nits, at least half of the items I clicked on had bios that said the model was a PhD CANDIDATE. Which means they could be less than a year out of undergrad college, and have a long row to hoe before they, maybe, finish that thesis.

Credit where due to those who finished the Doctorate of Philosophy!
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on March 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM · Report this
Posted by Agrippa on March 12, 2014 at 4:57 AM · Report this
I'm guessing the brand's whole point was to get free publicity by doing something out of the ordinary or 'controversial', so by covering this, SLOG is adding to their win. Regardless of whether someone likes the idea or not, if they clicked on the link and looked at the clothes the brand's marketing department will be happy.
Posted by Aaron CM on March 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM · Report this
So this may just bum you out more, but seriously you need to head over to American Apparel or pick up a fashion magazine. You seem confused about what "thin" and "conventionally" pretty mean in fashion today. Or you can take a look at the girl One Direction wants you to believe "doesn't know she's beautiful"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A…
Posted by LukeJoe on March 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM · Report this
The comments in this thread make me sad for liberalism. Seriously. There's now award for most pretentious K peeps.
Posted by LukeJoe on March 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM · Report this
Oh nos, classism, racism, elitism, sexism, sizism, -ism, -ism, -ism!

"So women (or people in general) without a PhD are worth less than those with a PhD. Message received."

I know, amazing isn't it? I hear they pay brain surgeons more than janitors too!
Posted by Dr. Big Tits on March 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM · Report this