Monday, March 10, 2014

His Shirt Says He's a "Doctor"

Posted by on Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

doctor_dicks.JPG

I was on the phone yesterday when I came across this, um, tableau. The man was in front of Dick's burgers on Broadway with his massage table, offering passersby some sort of treatments in exchange for donations. I declined.

rob! 1
Rapidly losing interest in Slog. WIth all the recent departures and other changes, I think you guys need to figure out whether you're a Twitter feed or a blog or something else.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
What #1 said.

It is pretty amazing how with just the departure of Goldy, there is nothing of substance at all on Slog. Was he seriously the only person on here interested in any sort of reporting or even the journalism-lite style of The Stranger in general?

If you had at least taken the guy here up on his offer, you may have had something of substance or interest to report instead of just a picture. Who is he? Does he work at a local hospital/clinic? What are the donations for? Is he actually a doctor? How are his massage skills? What is he "treating?"
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
man, peeps got their panties in a major wad about the Goldschlager exit.
Posted by dnt trust me on March 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM · Report this
biffp 4
"I saw this guy, but I didn't look into it" is not scintillating. At least get a comment from him.
Posted by biffp on March 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
5 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Dominic Holden 6
I was on the phone, like the post says, so I couldn't talk to him. If I were committed to Real Journalism, I would have gotten a full-body massage with fry grease.
Posted by Dominic Holden on March 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM · Report this
What @1 said. I can't put my finger on what went wrong (was it goldy leaving? The editorial conflict that preceded it? The merge with line out?) but slog has been notably less interesting since late last week.
Posted by wxPDX on March 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this
Shibari-san 8
Or at least spent 5 minutes talking to him to find out why he was looking for donations, as it could have been for a good cause. With the first post on this.
Posted by Shibari-san http://youtu.be/IHnGMV8yOEQ on March 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 9
I fear you have jumped the shark.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM · Report this
fletc3her 10
I'm finding all the music posts a bit boring. They added a "Slog Music" filter for those who want to see music posts only, but no "Slog Silent" filter for who want to see non-music posts only.
Posted by fletc3her on March 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
What @1, @2, @4, @7, @8, @9 said . . . though even this was better than posts made of a couple of tweets of pix you'd have to click on to find out whether you even wanted to click on 'em.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on March 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM · Report this
biffp 12
@6, how do take a picture while talking on your phone? I can barely maintain a conversation on mine holding it out two feet from my face. Anyway, the point is: no content = no post.
Posted by biffp on March 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM · Report this
@2 I've gone from checking multiple times a day, to only checking once or twice. So much less content and what little there is often is nothing more than controversy baiting.
Posted by giffy on March 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 14
Love it! Variety is the spice of Slog. Very Important Topics play a part, but so does kibitzing over basically nothing.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on March 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM · Report this
rob! 15
@14: Bless your heart :)
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 16
@15, aw! Not that I have any basis to find fault with your @1. I've worried about this ol' blog ever since post-Pulitzer Eli cut back to one scheduled post each morning at 6.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on March 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Paul Constant 17
Slog has totally jumped the shark since the middle of last week. I remember the glory days of last Tuesday, when Slog was a bastion of journalistic ethics and featured none of this kind of frippery. Things were so much better last Tuesday. Bring back Last Tuesday Slog! Can't I get a feed that is just Slog from last Tuesday?
Posted by Paul Constant http://https://twitter.com/paulconstant on March 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 18
@17) Totally. But I remember the glory days of May 2005. It used to be so much cooler here. This high school sucks now.
Posted by Dominic Holden on March 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 19
Yawn.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on March 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 20
You guys. You guys. We care so much we should apply for the newly created position of Stranger Social Media Engagement Manager, you guys. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive…
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on March 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM · Report this
@20
Sorry, that listing is not available.

Darn, because I'm the best at social stuff.
Posted by ChefJoe on March 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 22
@20,

I'm gonna fax them a copy of my resume' first thing tomorrow morning!

Second the call for a slog music filter, btw. I'm not even sure whether or not I'd use it, but it'd seem to make sense.
Posted by mikethehammer on March 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM · Report this
Sandiai 23
What everybody above says; I so want to love my distant cousin, Slog.
Posted by Sandiai on March 11, 2014 at 5:27 AM · Report this