Friday, March 7, 2014

Where Are the Best Tacos in Los Angeles?

Posted by on Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Screen_shot_2014-03-07_at_2.30.43_PM.png

Our excellent new beer columnist Mr. Andrew Hall is headed to the City of Angels with his excellent band, Dude York.

(We interrupt this post for a conflict-of-interest alert: You can see Dude York and other excellent bands and drink a lot of excellent local beer at Penumbra in Seattle on March 29. And here, friends: Get $10 off two tickets to Penumbra if you buy them this weekend—just use the code MORELIGHT.)

Mr. Andrew Hall asked me if I knew where to get the best tacos in LA. Answer: No. But my excellent friend Karen Ahn does (she lives in LA and she knows everything: just look). I emailed her, and this is what she said:

My personal favorite taco place is Guisado's, which is right by my house. It is the tits. The tortillas are really hand-made. They do braises instead of the carne asada, al pastor, most of us non-Latinos are used to.

I love My Taco in Highland Park. The barbacoa is heavenly, and the carne asada fries do not mess around.

Tacos Baja Ensenada is DEEP in East LA and because I'm an old lady, I wouldn't go there after dark, but they make the best seafood tacos outside of Puerta Vallarta.

And below are three round-ups from publications I trust. They have a ton of suggestions in them. Don't make fun of me because LA Weekly is on the list.

Jonathan Gold at the LA Times
LAist
LA Weekly

Now I know that carne asada fries are a thing, too. APPROVED!

rob! 2
Why would fun be made of the LAWeekly? I'm sure at some time or another they have also been described as "scrappy."
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Ms. Ahn sounds like she knows her stuff. Guisados are absolutely delicious, though I've never been to that place. It sounds like paradise.

You should definitely take the time to visit the beating heart of Mexican-Americanism and order three of the iconic taquitos from Cielito Lindo on Olvera Street. Cheesy, yes (I'm not talking about actual cheese here) but good food and a great experience. Olvera Street is just steps from Union Station, which is on the Red and Purple lines, easy peasy from downtown.

Jonathan Gold is the bomb.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM · Report this
jnmend 4
The other answer to this is "absolutely fucking anywhere will be better than the best place in Seattle" so it almost doesn't matter where you go.
Posted by jnmend on March 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM · Report this
merry 5
Hhmmm... Goldy is out, but there's a new "beer columnist"...

'Kay.
Posted by merry on March 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this

Or you could just head to Central Avenue in Kent and stop at El Sabor.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Totally Agree on My Taco. We love that place. The Goat stew is pretty awesome as well, just had that yesterday in fact. mmmm
Posted by BubbleSox on March 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM · Report this
I realize this may not be the taco you are looking for, being Korean BBQ and all, but Kogi tacos are no joke. If you're near one of the trucks or the Alibi in Culver, get a few spicy pork and short rib tacos.
Posted by California on March 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
seattlestew 9
this is some hard-hitting shit. next time i'm not in l.a., i'll be sure to follow your useless advice.
Posted by seattlestew on March 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM · Report this
seattlestew 10
Also, I'm w/ @5. I was just not saying the other day, "You know what The Stranger could use? Less insightful political reporting and commentary, and more useless information about food/beverages."
Posted by seattlestew on March 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM · Report this
mackro 11
Orange County, especially Santa Ana, has amazing Mexican food in general. Despite the chain-looking exterior, Taco Mesa in either Costa Mesa or Orange are both great.

But yeah, there's really no need to go to OC to get amazing tacos.
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on March 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Fnarf 12
@4, that's ridiculously untrue. Is LA a better taco city than Seattle? Yes. Is Seattle a wasteland? No. Plenty of great tacos in this city. One of the blessings of the taco religion is that communion with the taco god is so easy to do.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM · Report this
You might as well ask where the best teriyaki is in Seattle... That said there are good tacos in the Seattle metropolitan area, just not really so much in Seattle proper.
Posted by decidedlyodd on March 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM · Report this
slake 14
El tepeyek in east la was the best pre-expansion, but now I'll put the shithole king taco up for best taco in LA
Posted by slake on March 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM · Report this
Guisados has the best tacos. I don't even like tacos much but these are crack. Most people recommend the sampler platter. I say go straight for the chorizo and the quesadilla (saucy seasoned slabs of queso fresco in a fresh warm handmade tortilla). But all the options are great.
Posted by eden on March 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM · Report this