Thursday, March 6, 2014

Wanna Suck a Dick in Virginia?

Posted by on Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Go ahead!

The Virginia House of Delegates passed, 100 to 0, a bill Thursday that will finally eliminate an unconstitutional sodomy ban than made oral and anal sex—even between consenting married [straight] couples—a felony. The legislation, which passed the Senate unanimously last month, will now go to Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) for his signature. After years of unsuccessful attempts to repeal the law, in 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court’s Lawrence v. Texas ruling held that states may not ban private non-commercial sex between consenting adults.... More than a decade after the Lawrence decision, several other states still have sodomy bans on the books, including Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah.

Pope Peabrain 1
Republicans sodomize themselves with their own heads.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 6, 2014 at 2:19 PM · Report this
Allyn 2
*NOW* Virginia is for lovers.
Posted by Allyn on March 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
My brother and his partner have been breaking the law in Florida for over 30 years.

Surprised Florida hasn't broken down the door in their house to prosecute.

Being Florida, and all.
Posted by judybrowni on March 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Any place with such a law sucks dick anyway.
Posted by Ricardo on March 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 5
I have tickets to the Slate Political Gabfest Live at 6th and I in DC, but it should be finished by 9. I could be in Arlington by 9:30, definitely.
Posted by Fred Casely on March 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Pretty surprised this passed both houses unanimously.
Posted by Endash on March 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 7
@6: Everyone loves a blow job, I guess.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on March 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
rob! 8
Mehlman (the real one) rejoices; the military bases of VA are only an Acela ride away.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM · Report this
yelahneb 9
Serious question: is the insulting power of the phrase "suck my dick" (and its variations) ultimately based on misogynistic/homophobic motivations?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on March 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM · Report this
If it is unconstitutional, why is it still on the books?
Posted by BG on March 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 11
@9 - Yes, pretty much. See also "That sucks."

@10 - Because being ruled unconstitutional doesn't automatically remove something from the books; it basically just establishes precedent that makes the law unenforceable. And some governments are overrun with bitter, vindictive people who will insist on keeping those laws around out of spite as some kind of symbolic gesture. No doubt some of them are also holding out hope that the ruling will be reversed and they can go back to jailin' queers.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on March 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM · Report this
seattlestew 12
Huh, weird. I wonder if that list of states has anything in common?
Posted by seattlestew on March 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM · Report this
That's 12 other states. Can 12 be "several"? To me, "several"
Is definitely no more than 5, more like 3.
Posted by teamcanada'sforgottenpassword on March 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM · Report this
There is a bill up for vote in the coming legislative session in Louisiana that would remove the unconstitutional parts of the law from the books. The Baton Rouge Metro Council was asked to pass a resolution recommending passage to the legislature. They refused because they are in Tony Perkins and Gene Mills (the local version of Tony Perkins...except Tony Perkins is also local..sigh) back pocket..
Posted by Sheryl on March 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM · Report this
Sandiai 15
Damn, now I have no excuse.
Posted by Sandiai on March 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM · Report this
Kevin_BGFH 16
And just a year ago, the Republican Attorney General running for Governor was suing to allow the state to enforce the law. Elections have consequences.
Posted by Kevin_BGFH http://biggayfrathouse.typepad.com/blog/ on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM · Report this
rob! 17
Speaking of anatomical wonders, Sandiai, did you ever make it out to the National Museum of Health & Medicine after they moved from Walter Reed to Silver Spring?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM · Report this
Sandiai 18
I have not, rob! I was there a few years ago and "enjoyed" it very much. I'll make a point to do so when I have a little more time on my hands. Are you in the DC area, rob!
Posted by Sandiai on March 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM · Report this
rob! 19
No—I was there quite a while ago now for a workshop at Catholic University. My former boss did part of his training at Walter Reed and recommended it to me. So much I didn't see on that trip!
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM · Report this
Brave legislative move, there. Repealing an illegal law which wasn't enforceable after the Supreme Court's Lawrence decision. Eleven years after the Supreme Court mooted their law. Bold and timely.

Next up, a bill declaring the sky blue. Or puppies warm.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM · Report this
Fortunate 21
When I was in college I went to a LGBT student conference in Virginia. It was the first time I knowingly broke a sodomy law, so Virginia will always hold a special place in my heart despite their crazy politics of the past few years.
Posted by Fortunate on March 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM · Report this
@20: They'd pass a law saying puppies weren't warm if Obama said they were.
Posted by James Hutchings on March 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM · Report this
@14 Sheryl - Sadly, the Louisiana bill to remove the law from the books is given a chance of somewhere between "no chance in hell" and "over my dead body".

And the big problem? Although prosecutors (well, in most places, anyway) know the law can't be enforced, law enforcement officials often do not. For the last few years, the East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's office was running a sting in public parks - not to catch people having sex IN the parks (which is illegal and still enforceable), but to convince guys to take the deputy back to their apartment or house, or even to meet up there later, and then arresting the guy. The prosecutors threw the cases out, every time, but the sheriff's office kept arresting people anyway.

That particular sheriff has now been enlightened and wants to see the law repealed too - as do the DA's and the Sheriff's Association, and probably the other police organizations. But the religious right who control our legislature on "moral" issues have basically thrown down the gauntlet and promise to make this a "scorecard" bill - ergo, vote to repeal an unconstitutional law and you'll get a low rating from the Family Forum.
Posted by cowboyinbrla on March 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM · Report this