Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Silent-Reading Party Is Tomorrow Night!

Posted by on Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Ill be reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt, finally. God, what took me so long? And you? What will you read?
  • I'm reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt, finally. (God, what took me so long?) And you? What will you be reading tomorrow?

The wetness outside, everywhere, all up in my clothes? Soaking through my coats and socks? As far as I'm concerned, the reading party—and proximity to that fireplace—can't come fast enough. In case you've never been, the reading party consists of people sitting in a room doing absolutely nothing except staring into a fireplace, reading silently, listening to live music, and ordering things from waiters. It's the best.

Tomorrow evening, Will Bielawski will be back on the harp from 6 pm to 8 pm. And the drink special, a $5 Manhattan, will be available until 9 pm. The reading party is all ages and it's free. If you've never been to the reading party, here's more detail. If you've never been to the Fireside Room at the Sorrento, here's how to get there.

Wish I could be there.... However I will be re-reading Patric O'Brien and the wonderful series of books he wrote about the British Navy in the 1800's. Historical fiction is great if it's carefully written and the author doesn't take too many liberties with the facts.
Posted by longwayhome on March 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM · Report this
fletc3her 2
Would someone really committed to books bring in a harp?
Posted by fletc3her on March 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM · Report this
Secret History was great.
@1, if you're a historical fiction buff, I recommend Wolf Hall. A re-envisioning of the court of Henry VIII. In Hilary Mantel's version, Thomas Cromwell is an impressive, generous, self-made man, and Thomas More is an insufferable prig and hypocrite. A nice antidote to "A Man for All Seasons."
Posted by Eric from Boulder on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM · Report this
@1 my favorite series ever. And you misspelled Patrick O'Brian, but I'm just nitpicking. Carry on, matey.
Posted by Genghis John on March 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 5
How fabulous. I'm bringing King Edward VII
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on March 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM · Report this
@4 My bad. Have you read C.S. Forester and the Hornblower series? I'm sure you have if you are into sailing. It's a good read, that first trilogy was what really sent me to sea. Captain Hornblower R.N. I read it when I was 13 or 14 and have loved sailing ever since. I bought a Westsail 32' with hopes of sailing away in 1987 and lived on it on Lk.Union for 7 years. I did manage to circumnavigate Vancouver Island in 1991 despite the fog and wish I could crew on a boat to Hawaii some summer during the Westmarine Cup. I guess I should put my name on a crew list before I get too old, I just retired and am in good health. Wishful thinking!
Posted by longwayhome on March 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM · Report this