Monday, March 3, 2014

Watch the 2014 Oscar Winner for Best Animated Short

Posted by on Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Mr Hublot, a French-Luxembourgish animated short film by Laurent Witz. Enjoy.

Thank you, Metafilter.

MacCrocodile 1
I will not enjoy, thank you. That was the worst of the five nominees, and The Missing Scarf was better than any of them, but wasn't nominated.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on March 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
it won an Academy Award!? I don't need to watch it, I already know it's fabulous.
Posted by dnt trust me on March 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 3
OMG now I know how to write "For Sale" in French!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on March 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM · Report this
@1 I just watched it and enjoyed it, but after reading your comment, boy, do I feel like a chump!

ugh, to think that I wasted a whole 11 mins on what I thought would necessarily be the objective best animated short of the last non-arbitrary cycle around the sun. Instead all I got was lovely little film. I only wish I could have read your comment beforehand.
Posted by bradl on March 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
@1 Yeah, to me, Mr. Hublot felt like a weak re-tread of many better past Oscar nominees for animated short. I felt like I'd already seen this one. And it's "charm" felt by designed by committee, rather than flowing from a genuinely fun story.

And "The Missing Scarf" does, indeed, rock.
Posted by bobbyjoe on March 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 6
I saw all the animated shorts that were nominated, and I for one loved Mr Hublot. It was my favorite of the batch, and I'm glad it won. I thought it was delightful.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM · Report this