Thursday, February 27, 2014

Kurt Cobain or Steve Jobs: Whose Statue Is Uglier?

Posted by on Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Yesterday, Serbian sculptor Dragan Radenovic's Apple-approved statue of Steve Jobs was unveiled. It features Jobs's head atop a pillar. Business Insider's Madeline Stone explains the rest: "Cyrillic letters sprout from the side of the pillar, while the numbers 1 and 0 make reference to the binary system." Here it is:

Lots of people are complaining about the statue online. Which reminds me of another statue that was unveiled this month:

What we have here is a true battle of the arts.

diminished 1
no 'both are hideous, burn them, burn them now' option?
Posted by diminished on February 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Banna 2
Why not both?
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on February 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 3
I think I saw that Jobs statue in an episode of Hannibal.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM · Report this
originalcinner 4
I'll take "cheesy" over "Pez dispenser" any day.
Posted by originalcinner on February 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
I WISH it was a Pez dispenser. What's with the Cyrillic letters that look like they're molded out of poop? What's with the 1 and 0 that look like they're pulled off the side of my house? Is that supposed to be a reference to binary code? Whatever. The artist should have his hands cut off.

No, wait, I changed my mind, it's fantastic. He's trolling Apple. Every day Apple employees will have to walk past this thing and feel it sucking whatever is left of their soul out of them.

The Cobain one is just bad chainsaw art rendered in a new material. Not good, but not any more offensive than any of the crap you see for sale out of a van at remote road crossings out there.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Jobs would HATE that statue. It's ugly and needlessly busy.

Cobain would probably just dislike his statue, but it's in no way antithetical to the man's existence.
Posted by Ruke on February 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
--MC 8
Did they just make a cast of Ivar's statue on the waterfront and reshape the face to look a little like Kurt?
Posted by --MC on February 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Fnarf 9
I assume Statue Kurt is crying because he can see his reflection in a mirror?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this
watchout5 10
Why a guitar? The shotgun made him more famous.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM · Report this
You need a third option - both of these would look best at the bottom of Puget Sound. Except that would be cruel to fish & sea life
Posted by frankdawg on February 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM · Report this
Mattini 12
The Steve Jobs statue is the most embarrassing thing I've seen this year.

Kurt's hokey, low-rent statue is kind of perfect for his home town.
Posted by Mattini on February 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Rujax! 13
Both suck.
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on February 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM · Report this

Jobs statute: I thought he was trying to spell out 1-0-v-€

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 15
The Jobs statue looks like it was done by an art student with his head way too far up his own ass. The only possible use for this art piece would be to use it to club some sense into the artist.

The Cobain statue looks like it was done by a grieving middle-school fanboy. Well meaning, but schmaltzy. It should remain in the basement of said fanboy where it belongs, and never be shown in public.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on February 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM · Report this
Re: the 1 and 0- they are a cock and balls. He is priapic jobs, the bull of the Valley, inseminating our minds with his spermazoid code. It Is brilliant.
Posted by Jude Fawley on February 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM · Report this
Arsfrisco 17
@16 uh huh. Usually I enjoy me some hard dick but that is sad, sad, sad.
Posted by Arsfrisco on February 27, 2014 at 9:04 PM · Report this
Clara T 19
I'm with 12 - the Cobain statue is a pretty good fit for Aberdeen. They should put in their world's saddest mall out by the community college.
Posted by Clara T on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM · Report this
fnarf has it right the Cobain statue is just "chainsaw art". At least I'd stop and look at the Jobs statue.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on February 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM · Report this
#12 Spot ON!
Posted by fotoeve on February 28, 2014 at 1:28 AM · Report this
Poll fails without a "they're both hideous wastes of space" option.
Posted by treehugger on February 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM · Report this
thatsnotright 23
Put them both beside the Jimi Handrix statue on Broadway and see which one gets pictured most with tourists.
Posted by thatsnotright on February 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Single tear? Really? Why not hang a sign on him that says "this man was sad a lot?" Hey-Zeus that's bad. But @12 nailed it. Perfect for Aberdeen.
Posted by nullbull on February 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM · Report this
stonato 25
Another #12 here (Kurt's hokey, low-rent statue is kind of perfect for his home town) although I think he was an Elma Eagle according to some Mormons I used to know. That's where they should put the statue.
@19 That was funny. I never thought of it maybe being exceptional (world's saddest mall) until I saw it spelled out. Maybe I was distracted by the DQ.
Posted by stonato on February 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Wow, least lopsided slog poll in a long time. Of course everyone who said that the Steve Jobs statue is worse is just flat out wrong and has lost the right to critique art. I'm not sure how one SHOULD go about sculpting ripped jeans, but that THICK angular "Charlie Brown" style is NOT it. Also, why were his hair and beard sculpted into two different styles? Like one has texture and one doesn't? Forget "cheesy" it's horrible executed. Those are not what SHOULDERS look like! Better to not do a body than do that!
Posted by LukeJoe on February 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM · Report this
seattlestew 27
If the Jobs statue is supposed to spell out "love" in some way, then why? What did Steve Jobs love other than himself and money?
Posted by seattlestew on February 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
I envision that binary code 1 being polished up with lots of lube.....think of it as a free opportunity for Jobs to fuck the public even in death.
Posted by TampaDink on February 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this