Saturday, February 22, 2014

Maria Von Trapp

Posted by on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Dead.

Not how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like Maria, but "the last surviving member and second-eldest daughter" of the family whose flight from Nazi-anschlussed Austria was the inspiration for The Sound of Music. There is no child named "Maria" in the musical, but there is a Marta. Just, you know, FYI. Slog's condolences to the Von Trapps.

Ahh… Maria was the name of the nun who ran off with the captain and his kids. Maria was played by Mary Martin (Larry Hagman's mother) in the original Broadway cast, and Julie Andrews a few years later in the more cheery Film version. The original Broadway production was about standing-up to facism and the Nazis and included songs that were considered too dark for the breezy film version.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM · Report this
seatackled 2
RIP.

Actually, according to the story, how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-Maria Maria was indeed based on Baron von Trapp's second wife Maria, and so daughter Maria, whom this story is about, was renamed as Louisa for the film. So Marta was probably Marta, but Maria was Louisa.

And I wish I knew there were some von Trapps running a resort in Vermont when I was there a decade and a half ago.
Posted by seatackled on February 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM · Report this
The original Rodgers and Hammerstein score - the Broadway version - has always been a favorite. The movie cheapened it's majesty by making it sound like Mary Poppins, Andrews last film before the Sound of Music. Here's the opening title song in the Broadway version, quiet and gentle, a far cry from the film's loud and dramatic opening.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM · Report this
seatackled 4
@3
I enjoyed that.
Posted by seatackled on February 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 5
@3: In your opinion. Mary Martin's singing can be an endurance test at times.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM · Report this
@4 I never cared for her earlier pop recordings and she clearly misses pitch at times in this. She wasn't considered a great technician But there's something about her delivery in the Sound of Music recordings that just enchant me - a slow and maternal dignity, scored to match her chest voice (unlike South Pacific). I hear the missed notes and all the rest… but I'll still take it over Andrew's perky, cheerful romp through these brilliant songs any day. Just my tastes I guess.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 7
Phoebe dear, I wouldn't talk about anyone being an endurance test if I were you.

Years ago, in the late 70's, I was in the large wooded park near our house, when all of the sudden an old-timey nun in full nun drag came walking by on her way to the lookout point. I was nonplussed, as nuns didn't dress like that anymore, and it was something like 95 degrees out. She was just like one of those nuns in the movie - all cheerful and full of "my childs". It turned out that she travelled with the Von Trapp singers as sort of a spiritual guru or something. They were in town for a fundraiser for the Catholic school. I took her back to our house where Mother Vel-DuRay was royally vexed that I had bought a nun home.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 8
It's before midnight here on the east coast, and that story is dated the 23rd. What gives, ABC?

Anyway, RIP. And while I like Mary Martin and admire her "Lonely Goatherd" as a technical feat, it's not something I'd listen to twice in a row.
Posted by Fred Casely on February 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM · Report this
Okay. Here's a song from the original Broadway score that was considered too satirically sophisticated for the film. Max and Elsa try to convince Georg to go along with the Nazis by analogizing our inability to control orbiting planets to cooperating with the Third Reich. "There's no way to stop it!"

The Sound of Music was about moral dilemmas; should Maria divorce Jesus for marriage, should Georg cooperate with the Nazis, should Liesl lose her virginity at 16yo to Ralf (Maria advised "wait another year or two") The movie toned most of that down.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 10
@7: Is Mother Vel-DuRay your mother, or your mother-in-law? If you don't mind me asking.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM · Report this
seatackled 11

Hmm. Wonder what Dan Savage would have advised.
Posted by seatackled on February 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM · Report this
@11 "He's a fuckin' Nazi, are you insane?"

Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM · Report this
rob! 13
No no no. "Fuck first."
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 14
Phoebe dear, I was a mere child at the time, but not a Child Bride. The Vel-DuRays are a matriarchy. Mother Vel-DuRay is my mother.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM · Report this
@11 Chef would have advised, "wait one year".:

Chef: "The right time to start having sex is 17."
Sheila: "So you mean 17 as long as you're in love?"
Chef: "Nope, just 17."
Gerald: "But what if you're not ready at 17?"
Chef: "17, you're ready."
Posted by DNash on February 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 16
@11
Is Dan an adviser? I thought he was an entrepreneur.
Posted by dnt trust me on February 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM · Report this
seatackled 17
@12

That would have come in the form of DTMFA, but I think @13's instinct would have been more likely.
Posted by seatackled on February 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM · Report this
All very possible. I think the closest comparison would be the woman who felt guilty about her romp with the younger and hotter man who made it openly clear that he didn't reciprocate. "This is where I'm *supposed* to say No-No-No, but, if he's *that* hot..."
Posted by vennominon on February 23, 2014 at 4:20 AM · Report this
The_Shaved_Bear 19
'Sound of Music' is the only movie where you are allowed to root for the nazis.
Posted by The_Shaved_Bear on February 23, 2014 at 4:38 AM · Report this
nocutename 20
@19: You just made me spit coffee at my screen.
Posted by nocutename on February 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 21
@19: Except for 'The Producers'.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM · Report this
I had the Broadway soundtrack on an LP as a kid... actually, I probably still have it around here.
Posted by abrock_ca on February 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 23
@7.. i will amuse myself for hours imagining what mother rollins would have done had i brought a nun home...instead of a husband...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on February 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM · Report this
RhettOracle 24
More SOM trivia: back when he was a pretty boy, Jon Voight debuted on Broadway in 1961 as Rolf Gruber - the Austrian teen who sings "I Am 16" with Liesl.
Posted by RhettOracle on February 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM · Report this
@24 And Liesl married him in real life. Seriously.
Lauri Peters the original Liesl, married Jon Voight the new Rolf, after he joined the cast. So I guess she waited a couple of years like Maria said, but still married a Nazi.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM · Report this
The real family were supposedly racist, homophobic fuckwits.

An ex worked for them in Vermont. He said that the family was loathed by most of their employees....and their was constant low level scandal because of the behavior of some of the men in the family towards local women....

They aren't the family portrays in the Disneyfied version.

Mourn your childhood, not the real VTs.
Posted by ABW on February 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM · Report this
In real life, Maria was brought to the captain's rather modest home to tutor a sick child, not to become everyone's nanny. Marie had fits of extreme outrage and cruelty. Georg was actually a gentle and doting parent and was never at risk of having to work for the Third Reich. They married and had there more children before before simply boarding a train to leave Austria. The "family" never liked the false depiction of their life - and said so publicly - but made best they could with the fame it brought them.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on February 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM · Report this
There is also the infamous missing song sung by the Nazi SS officers "How do You Gas A Family Like The Von Trapps."
Posted by tkc on February 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM · Report this