and Drunks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What Do You Think of the Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer?

Posted by on Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

So the trailer for Marvel's late-summer movie went live about twelve hours ago, and it features the best use of "Hooked on a Feeling" since Reservoir Dogs:

I'm excited for this one. Director James Gunn's Slither is one of my favorite sci-fi-horror comedies, and Chris Pratt has a Han Solo roguish vibe in this trailer that I really like. I'm also glad that Marvel isn't afraid to go goofy in tone—I'm sure there'll be serious moments, but silliness is essential with this premise—and I'm thrilled that the trailer doesn't spoil the entire movie.

But what do you think?

Joe Szilagyi 1
Where is the poll option of "Holy Fuckballs," because holy fuckballs. That was a fantastic trailer to highlight a ton of content, characters, and material that 99.5% of America has zero clue about.

Extreme short version for the clueless: same universe as the rest of the Marvel films like Avengers. Super powered alien low-rent losers and criminals who team up to save the galaxy and it turns out they may be surprisingly bad ass about it. Space Avengers meets Star Wars with lots of comedy.

Also, how Captain America #1 led directly into the Avengers with the Tesseract cube? THIS is the film that is the direct lead-in to Avengers #2.

Avengers 1 film order:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
Avengers 1 is the conclusion of that story

Avengers 2 film order:

Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Captain America 2 (in May 2014)
Guardians (in August 2014)
Avengers 2 is the conclusion of this story (in May 2015)
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on February 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Ignatius O. 2
I really enjoyed the humor in Thor 2, which played off the stakes established in more serious scenes. I hope this movie and Captain America 2 continue that trend.
Posted by Ignatius O. on February 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM · Report this
yelahneb 3
There's a raccoon. Why is there a raccoon
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on February 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
Slither was awesome. This looks awesome.
Posted by Dougsf on February 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 5
@4. His name is Rocket (seriously, don't call him a raccoon to his face) and the reason there is a raccoon there is because he is awesome.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on February 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
I'm excited.

It's very difficult to get a new IP in big budget hollywood film, that's why sequels are so dominate.

But Marvel's done an incredible job in branding their product. They've got enough capital that they can experiment and afford a film to bomb. They dug up this old d-list comic book- and it looks like they just might make this work. It's hitting just the right tone, I think, to get the public interested. Some people say this will be another John Carter or Lone Ranger. I don't think so. I think this might just be huge.
Posted by GermanSausage on February 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
nixor 7
Chris Pratt muscled up and shirtless. That is all.
Posted by nixor on February 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Please, enough with the ooga-chaka.

Other than that, I liked it.
Posted by rainbird on February 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM · Report this
theophrastus 9
if Rocket-Raccoon runs out of bullets (projectiles whatever) is he then just a ...raccoon? i think i'd made him Rocket-Rhino to provide him with a bit of backup plan. and that's why i don't have a job with Marvel (or even D.C.)
Posted by theophrastus on February 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 10
If the preview didn't look bad enough they had to include a shitty song from the 70s as part of the sound track.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on February 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM · Report this
As a DC comics fan, I feel an unceasing torrent of jealousy toward Marvel fans that they get movies that aren't just dark gritty, dark, dark, grim, dark, grimdark shit.
Posted by Ben on February 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM · Report this
If you plan on seeing this, also consider a donation to help out the guy who co-created Rocket Raccon:

Posted by lambarch on February 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 13
@11, what...Green Lantern wasn't bright and happy enough for you? (I kid...i kid...I don't understand honestly how that shit show got made. You could have had something that was as good as GotG is looking like...but no.)
Posted by Akbar Fazil on February 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Much as I'm vehemently opposed to both assault rifles and raccoons, I'm looking forward to this one.
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on February 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Dougsf 15
Now that I think of it, it's kinda of strange the universe isn't mostly raccoons.
Posted by Dougsf on February 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM · Report this
yelahneb 16
@5 So is this Rocket fellow a raccoon who has been granted sentience, the ability to talk, etc., or is he an intelligent creature that simply happens to look like an anthropomorphized raccoon?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on February 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 17
I grew up on a diet of old school mainstream Marvel characters, like Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, etc, so I had some knowledge an expectations going into those films.

I know nothing whatsoever about Guardians of the Galaxy. I've heard the name, but I've never read any of them, and know nothing about the stories or characters.

So... I liked the trailer. I liked Chris Pratt. The glimpses of the badass raccoon totally cracked me up. It seemed to have a good vibe. You're right that the trailer doesn't spoil it. It gives me some hints about the characters, but I'm still pretty clueless what to expect. I would say I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks like it could be fun.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on February 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM · Report this
zachd 18
@16 I don't know the movie mythos here, but in the comics: the former.

This gives me hope for seeing a big screen Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham or Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.

I'm sorry to all the DC fans. Hopefully DC is watching these movies and learning that making the movies "fun" is more useful than people with super awesome powers being super gloomy and killing everyone.
Posted by zachd http://zachd.com on February 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
zachd 19
Huh, did not know:
===
The character [Rocket Raccoon] was created by Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen and consciously inspired by the classic Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon", which included a reference to "Gideon's Bible" (in the Marvel Universe it was a book that contained the sum of all knowledge on the Loonies colony).
===
Posted by zachd http://zachd.com on February 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Where's my Ambush Bug movie?
Posted by rainbird on February 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 21
@1, your enthusiasm is contagious! Now I'm all excited for it. Thanks.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on February 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Knat 22
This one will have to be a Netflix viewing. I don't know anything about this franchise, but since the only thing about this I recognize is the guy from Parks & Rec (a show I don't much care for), I can't find justification to spend $50 seeing this in the theater with the wife.
Posted by Knat on February 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM · Report this