Monday, February 17, 2014

Neighbours Suspect May Have Been Trying to "Exterminate Homosexuals"

Posted by on Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM

An friend-turned-informant told KIRO that Musab Masmari, the man who allegedly set the fire at Neighbours night club on New Year's Eve, may have been motivated by his “distaste for homosexual people.”

According to investigative documents filed in King County Superior Court, the 30-year old Masmari told a friend “that homosexuals should be exterminated.” That friend, a member of the local Muslim community, went straight to the FBI because he believed Masmari may have also been planning a terrorist attack. That friend became a confidential informant.

Masmari is currently in jail for one count of arson, but according to KIRO, this new information could lead to federal hate crime charges.

Gern Blanston 1
Not shocking, but at least they have a witness to establish a motive.
Posted by Gern Blanston on February 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Luckily he's a Mohammedan so guilty white Seattle liberals can ignore the religious angle.
Posted by Biggles on February 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 3
His "distaste for homosexuality" is rooted in ignorance. But that's about to change. First lesson: Situational Homosexuality.
Posted by Fred Casely on February 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM · Report this
seattlestew 4
Wait, you're telling me that a man who burned a gay bar was motivated by animus toward homosexuals? Stop the presses.
Posted by seattlestew on February 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM · Report this
He lives in a really stupid city to be a homophobe. Just sayin'
Posted by treehugger on February 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this
A (not An) friend did not tell KIRO anything - he told police. At least try to get things right when you lift them.
Posted by JPierce on February 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM · Report this
tabathalphabet 7
Heartbreaking. Musab was a friend of mine for a few years. He was a sweetheart, albeit a bit of a loose cannon, for lost the entirety of the time I knew him. He was the guy who would help me get a couch up my stairs, would share his croissants with me, would check on me when my cat was sick. He was always really moderate, really live-and-let-live. I'm a gay lady, although was never out with him, and when I chopped all my hair off a few years ago he always said it looked great. Whatever he became is something none of us who knew him recognize. He totally snapped last summer. Not sure what happened in his brain. Anyway, all the trolls constantly chiming in on these threads about how him being a "terrorist isn't surprising"... Fuck you. This case is complicated, humans are complicated. It's not that easy. I'd more quickly say this is a mental health case than a terrorism case, but fuck, I don't know. And I know I would very much like to validate the authenticity of this "source" though, before believing it point blank. Basically, people are complicated and this whole thing is super sad, in so many ways.
Posted by tabathalphabet on February 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 8
@3: Your "joke" reflects poorly on you.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 9
@7, your voice was really needed here. Thanks.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on February 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM · Report this
He lives in a really stupid city.
Posted by Copy Desk on February 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 11
@8: Only because it's not funny and implies rape. Other than that, I stand behind it.
Posted by Fred Casely on February 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM · Report this
espato 12
thank you, @7.
Posted by espato on February 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM · Report this
Terrorism, with hate crimes enhancement. May he never again see the light of day as a free man.
Posted by TechBear on February 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM · Report this
raindrop 14
@7: Please. Spare the violins. He is a criminal.
Behind every criminal, anyone could spin up a documentary worth of deep cable NPR of a disenfranchised lost soul, set adrift in a cruel society, a complicated situation worthy of the utmost and involved psychosocial discussion ad nauseam. Stop that nonsense. Enough of it.

People that firebomb crowded nightclubs on New Years Eve are psychopaths. Musab is a psychopath. Well meaning people that try to be their friends are beating their heads against the wall. All that is suitable is them is incarceration forever or execution.

Posted by raindrop on February 18, 2014 at 2:28 AM · Report this
raindrop 15
Correction: I meant sociopath, not psychopath.
Posted by raindrop on February 18, 2014 at 2:33 AM · Report this
sirkowski 16
@7 Sounds like a Nice Guy.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 18, 2014 at 3:08 AM · Report this