Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Every Year I Lose My Mind a Little at the Arrival of Ranunculus Season

Posted by on Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM

The most magical flowers in the world.
  • Tamara Kulikova/Shutterstock
  • The most magical flowers in the world.

Yesterday I was so cold, and it was so dark and raining, that when somebody I love handed me a yellow ranunculus plant, it felt almost like a flame.

Thank you, C.

Do you know this flower, otherwise known as the Persian buttercup? When I first saw it several years ago, the first thought that came to my mind, honestly, was This flower is fictional. It cannot be real.

It's my starstruck belief (I'm no botanist) that the ranunculus has the greatest number of petals per blossom of any flower in this universe. Looking at one is mathematically mind-boggling.

Squeeze a blossom in your hand and it feels like dough. It's that filthy with petals. Each petal, meanwhile, is thinner than tissue paper and see-through at the edges.

Ranunculus season in Seattle grocery stores and florist shops lasts only a few weeks. This year it feels early. But there is nothing more romantic than these things. If you removed every petal from a single bouquet and left them in a trail, I bet they would carry you all the way up one of these freezing mountains. Happy early Valentine's Day.

Soon they will be gone again.

Pope Peabrain 1
They are stunning. But my love is the peony.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Very nice, but beware of it's evil cousin.
Posted by viiless on February 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 3
I used to have a Latino boyfriend who called his foreskin a "chocolate ranunculus."
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on February 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM · Report this
thebaytonight 4
One of my all time favorites…However, Ranunculus can be had from late fall through late spring depending on your source. Don’t despair!
Posted by thebaytonight on February 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Lissa 5
I'm printing this out and putting it in my journal, it's so lovely. Thank you Jen.
Posted by Lissa on February 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 6
yes, lovely, lovely :) thanks for posting, Jen.
Posted by mr. herriman on February 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM · Report this
They are very easy to grow at home, and sprout from claw-like tubers. Just keep in mind that they are toxic and should NOT be grown by people who have small plant-eating animals.
Posted by TechBear on February 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM · Report this