and Drunks

Monday, February 10, 2014

Slog Poll: Will You Read Lena Dunham's Book?

Posted by on Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Last October, Girls creator Lena Dunham signed a book deal with Random House worth at least $3.5 million. The book is slated to be a memoir, and you can read a lot more opinions/frothing about it on the internet if you want, none of which I feel like linking to here because, y'know, barf.

This morning she posted this photo of the book, with an October 2014 release date. That was fast!

I would mostly like to talk about that lovely typeface, but I think the interwebs will be having a different discussion. Love her, hate her, literally can't manage to give a shit about her—this book is going to be A Very Big Deal, right? So: to the polls!

TomJohnsonJr 1
I adore that cover design. Big homage to the 70s titles most everyone seemed to have on their shelves, no?
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on February 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
A memoir? Is she even 30 yet? Or by "memoir" does it mean a collection of quirky events that have happened to her like so many "memoirs" written by young people these days?

With the huge decline in quality that Girls underwent after about four episodes, something tells me the book won't be too great either.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Yeah, that font feels very "Valley of the Dolls" to me.

Anyway, why shouldn't she write a memoir? Many interesting things have no doubt happened to her in the last few years.
Posted by Monty on February 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
I wish there was an "I don't read enough books to opine" option.

I'll just let it float by like most every book.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM · Report this
As a general rule, I don't read memoirs of people younger than 45 or 50. Memoirs are supposed to place your life stories into a larger context. I like Dunham, but unless she is far out on the bell curve of 26-year olds, she cannot know how her life to date will ultimately impact the world around her.
Posted by wxPDX on February 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Mattini 6
Agree with @1 that the cover is very 70s. Either you enjoy the nostalgia or you think it looks dated. I'm the latter.
Posted by Mattini on February 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM · Report this
mr. herriman 7
"Comedienne" is a word that should no longer be in your vocabulary.
Posted by mr. herriman on February 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM · Report this
regardless of what time it looks to be from or not (and i think the 70s is fairly right on), i think that typeface is horrendous and don't think it will help her sell any copies.
Posted by captain underpants on February 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Kinison 9
Lena Dunham reminds me of a girl in Belltown I once had sex with, but stopped in the middle of the act so I could put on a condom. But since she had already climaxed, decided she was done for the night.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on February 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM · Report this
I like Dunham's show a lot, but unless the book is a playboy/penthouse layout of nudes, I won't be all that interested in reading about her predominantly privileged life.
Posted by neo-realist on February 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM · Report this
AirBuddy 11
It's weird how Dunham brings out the internet rancid more than the Kardashians, almost.

This is more of an audiobook-from-the-library-depending-on-reviews kind of "read" (ugh) for me...
Posted by AirBuddy on February 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM · Report this
She's actually 27, not 26. And of course a lot of jealous 20/30/40somethings hate that she exists.
Posted by Amanda on February 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
Won't read it, but she's done more than most people do in their lives
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM · Report this
My condolences if you're fucking girls that look like Lena Dunham, #9
Posted by Reader01 on February 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 15
Those Os make me dizzy.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on February 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM · Report this
No, because books are tl;dr. I'll stick with blog posts.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on February 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 17
@16 beat me to the bunch. That and facebook, tumblr and various news aggregators that provide an endless supply of similar material.

In fact, it might have been cheaper for Random House to just come up with an algorithm that squishes that all together into something resembling a memoir written by middle to upper class white Americans in their twenties.

Or maybe that's what they did... CLEVER
Posted by Unregistered User on February 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
brandon 18
I don't hate her, I just don't see the appeal of her work. The whole wealthy person looking like she shopped at a thrift store does bug me though. Reminds me of assholes from college.
Posted by brandon on February 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM · Report this
hermann_hermann 19
"Girls" is a wonderful show, with pitch-perfect dialogue and hilarious plotting. Unfortunately, Dunham's voice doesn't quite translate into her writing. I read a NYer story of hers last year and was appalled. But yeah, the cover screams "Valley of the Dolls."
Posted by hermann_hermann on February 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
biffp 20
She's Mindy Kaling meets Joan Didion. I loved those laughing book people two episodes ago. She's basically every Sarah Lawrence graduate in NYC, and they are probably busy on the blogs all day at work. There's another stories to make a book worth borrowing from the library.

I wish she were doing something with the other characters this season. The Marnie, Shoshana and Jessa's storylines seem to be going nowhere, particularly Marnie.
Posted by biffp on February 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM · Report this
@19 - yes, that was the day I decided to let my New Yorker subscription lapse. It wasn't all Dunham's fault though - the precipitous decline in quality over the last five years made the decision one that was a long time coming. But having this hack in the pages of what was once America's last great national magazine was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back.

But the rise of Dunham does provide one valuable lesson - kids, unless your parents know people, you're not going to make any money in a creative field.
Posted by johnjjeeves on February 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
aureolaborealis 22
She's a well-connected child of comfort who actually ended up having something interesting to say. It could happen. It could happen with this book, too, I suppose.

Gawker apparently didn't think it would.
Posted by aureolaborealis on February 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 23
No. Outside of intended demo.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on February 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM · Report this
I've watched some of Girls, but I never read celeb memoirs. The two times I've made an exception (Bossypants and Mindy Kaling's book) I wished I hadn't. I'm afraid the modest respect and affection I have for Lena Dunham wouldn't stand up to the pressure.
Posted by Prettybetsy on February 11, 2014 at 2:09 AM · Report this