Friday, February 7, 2014

Which Sketch Turned You into a Monty Python Fan for Life?

Posted by on Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

My daughter and I attended the opening of Spamalot at the 5th Avenue Theatre last night. It was a ton of fun. Great performances. Original Broadway costumes and sets. I'll have a more thorough review later, but suffice it to say that if you're a Monty Python fan, you won't be disappointed. (And if you're not a Monty Python, what the fuck is wrong with you?)

But as much as we enjoyed the show, an added thrill came at the end when they brought out Eric Idle for the curtain call. It was a special moment not just for me, but for my daughter, who has grown up a big Monty Python fan herself. (Because I raised her right.) It was actually the second time I'd seen Idle live, the first time being when I was 13 and my father took me to New York to see Monty Python perform live at the City Center. Ah, the memories.

Which got me thinking about my own introduction to Monty Python. PBS had been airing the show for a few months before a friend of mine convinced me to watch an episode, and I was immediately lost. I had trouble understanding the dialog through the accents, was a bit put off by the low production values, and generally just didn't get the whole comedic aesthetic of the show. It was so alien to me, compared to what I was accustomed to seeing on mid-1970s American TV. And then, near the end of that episode, I saw this:

I literally fell to the floor gasping for air, I laughed so hard. It just suddenly all clicked. And I never looked at comedy the same way again.

So how about you: which sketch turned you into a Monty Python fan for life?

I don't remember all the details (I saw it years and years ago) but there is a skit where two professors are debating the literary worth of some book while chasing each other alongside a moving car. The viewer sees them inside the car through the window as it speeds along. Initially one of the professors runs alongside, passionately explaining to the viewer his position about the book in question. Then the other professor catches up, tackles him and in turn runs alongside, passionately explaining his position. The first professor catches up, tackles the second professor, and resumes his argument where he left off. This is repeated several times. The arguments are actually, as I recall, very articulate, and earnest and sincere. But of course the whole thing is absurd and ends just as suddenly as it begins when the show abruptly cuts from the sketch to some other sketch. Absolutely brilliant. Cracks me up every time I think about it.
Posted by screed on February 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
Oh this sounds dandy (Thanks @1!!). A cyber fireside chat where Sloggers swap Monty Python memories. I'm going on a beer run, but please fill me in when I get back.
Posted by dnt trust me on February 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM · Report this
theophrastus 3
no one expects the spanish inquisition
Posted by theophrastus on February 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM · Report this
MrBaker 4
Seduced milkman sketch.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
orino 5
Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I never found Monty Python all that funny when it was new, and quite frankly am sick to death of it 40 years later. Ditto for pretty much all the British comedy shows KCTS repeats incessantly...
Posted by orino http://www.scootinoldskool.com on February 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM · Report this
Salad Days, Philosophy Food Ball, and Woody and Tinny Words.
Posted by Jizzlobber on February 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 7
Quest for the Holy Grail was the first Python I ever saw. Have loved all things Python ever since.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Salad Days, Philosophy Foot Ball, and Woody and Tinny Words.
Posted by Jizzlobber on February 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Cheese Shop
Posted by skemmis on February 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM · Report this
It's been so long that I almost don't remember NOT being a Python fan. That said, I think it would either be the one where the art staged a walk out strike (featuring the Birth of Venus talking with a dead butch male voice) or the Lost World parody. The latter really disappointed me as a kid because I REALLY loved dinosaurs, so it felt like a bait and switch, but once I saw what they were doing, I loved it.

"Wait a moment! If we're being filmed...... then who's filming us?"
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on February 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
--MC 11
Watched "Holy Grail" at a midnight show at a theatre in the late 70s. I was a jaded teen going eh, this isn't getting it for me, until the musical number with the singing and dancing and the kicklines and then they come back and the king says, Nah, let's not go there. And from there on out I was with 'em.
Posted by --MC on February 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
#7: Yeah, I suppose that's similar to how I got into it. "Life of Brian" is where it really started with me, but I didn't consider myself a hardcore fan until I started watching the series, starting with "And Now for Something Completely Different."
Posted by Jizzlobber on February 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM · Report this
mike in oly 13
Mrs. Premise and Mrs. Conclusion chatting at the laundrymat:

Mrs. C: Good morning Mrs. Premise.
Mrs. P: Oh, good morning Mrs. Conclusion.
Mrs. C: Busy Day?
Mrs. P: Oh, the busiest! I just spent four hours burying the cat!
Mrs. C: Four hours to bury a cat?
Mrs. P: Yes! The damn thing wouldn't hold still.
Mrs. C: I know just what you mean. We had to put our budgie down last year.
Mrs. P: Was it sick?
Mrs. C: No, we just didn't like it.

It just goes on and on from there. Loved that sketch and it made me a big fan of MP.
Posted by mike in oly http://enotaipes.blogspot.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM · Report this
#12: How many times can I use a variation of the word "start" in one post?
Posted by Jizzlobber on February 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Banna 15
And now...the larch.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on February 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM · Report this
COMTE 16
I actually heard Monty Python long before I ever saw them - Barry Hansen (AKA Dr. Demento) was playing cuts from the various Python albums (Spam, Eric The Half A Bee, The Lumberjack song, et al) on his nationally syndicated radio program in the early-to-mid 1970's, several years before "Holy Grail" hit the big screens in the U.S.
Posted by COMTE on February 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
The Ministry of Silly Walks!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Dougsf 18
They ran on local PBS when I was pretty young, but the Olympic bits were the first I really remember landing. Then as a teenager the films sealed the deal. Terry Gilliam's early art would be a huge influence on me as well.
Posted by Dougsf on February 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM · Report this
JonnoN 19
probably the dead parrot, although I do love the Bruces/Philosopher's Song

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
catpantsclub 20
I love you @15.

I don't remember what I saw first but these are some of my favorites: The Undertakers, The Cheese Shop, The Dead Parrot, the Holy Grail, and The Life of Brian.
Posted by catpantsclub on February 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 21
Conrad Poohs and his Dancing Teeth.

And, The Bishop.
Posted by Dr. Z on February 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM · Report this
fletc3her 22
I was too young to really get the show when I first watched it on PBS, so it was really through video rentals of the movies that I first came to really appreciate them. One summer we watched the Meaning of Life just about every night for weeks.
Posted by fletc3her on February 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 23
I think Life of Brian was the first Python I saw and I was an instant convert.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on February 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 24
Our chief weapons are Fear, Torture & Proust
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Amalink 25
My mother raised me right - on a steady diet of Monty Python, Doctor Who, and Dark Shadows - from so early I couldn't tell you when. But if I had to come up with the first sketch at the top of my head it would have to be Dinsdale and the giant hedgehog. I love the interview with the guy who got his head nailed to the floor by Dinsdale. The was the first episode in which I saw that the whole thing, while seemingly random while watching, is just a giant circle. It blew my mind.
Posted by Amalink on February 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM · Report this
Like @22 I was really too young to remember or understand the show as a kid but I do remember my mother laughing her head off at The Fish Slapping Dance and Climbing the North Face of Uxbridge Road. When I got older, Holy Grail and especially Life Brian cemented my love of Python ... and there's just something about guys dressing up as ordinary women that makes me grin.
Posted by maeveh on February 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM · Report this
The Twit Olympics and the Queen Victoria Race (where a bunch of guys dressed as Queen Victoria ran out of the starting gate - hilarious) (and, believe it or not, the race was won by Queen Victoria.)
Posted by mjanet on February 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM · Report this
fletc3her 28
If I had to single out one skit I think it would be the sex ed class from the Meaning of Life.
Posted by fletc3her on February 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
The Establishment 29
I had seen various sketches prior, but I didn't become a hardcore fan until I watched The Life of Brian. It wasn't just a comedy to me, the political and (especially) religious satire were so cutting and perfectly on-point, that it changed (or at least strongly reaffirmed) my outlook on life, death, politics and religion.
Posted by The Establishment on February 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
The fish-slapping dance.
Posted by hjermsted on February 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
I first saw Monty Python while an exchange student in England in 1970, I remember spuddering, "You can't do that on TV!" and laughing so hard I fell off my chair.

I remember (or are misremembering) an animation of America's policy in Vietnam, that was represented somehow by teeth.

Later, while living in New York, I was excited by the opening of the first Python film, before the series aired on public TV, so I and my boyfriend of the period were few among those attending one screening.

Posted by judybrowni on February 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM · Report this
I can't remember, but I was in my mid/early teens in the mid 70s and always stoned when we watched it at my friend's house, or wishing we were stoned. When gettin high was fun.
Posted by cracked on February 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM · Report this
31: Crelm Toothpaste.

"When one country or tooth falls victim to international communism, its neighbors soon follow. In dentistry, this is known as Domino Theory. But with american defense the decay is stopped before it starts and that's why nine out of ten small countries choose American defense. Or Crelm toothpaste with the miracle ingredient, Fraudulin!
Posted by Jizzlobber on February 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 34
Dead Parrot & Cheese Shop
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on February 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this
I'm Comin' for ya Mama! 35
The blancmange playing tennis and eating its opponents. That shit was flat weird.
Posted by I'm Comin' for ya Mama! http://www.packers.com on February 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM · Report this
RainMan 36
The housewives wondering where the penguin on the telly came from.
Posted by RainMan on February 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Argument Clinic on Dr. Demento.
Ministry of Silly Walks.
Holy Grail. Possibly the witch sketch or setting alight the Grail-shaped beacon of Castle Anthrax ("It's not a very good name, is it?").
Posted by usagi on February 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Atl2Sea 38
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay.
I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars."

Posted by Atl2Sea on February 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM · Report this
CC-Rob 39
Lemming of the BDA.
Posted by CC-Rob on February 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 40
I was thinking about my teenage Anglicization just today what with all the hubbub around Downton Abbey. Funny, but your history of Python-phila matches mine nearly to a tee.

I was raised on the great BBC shows of the early 1970s on PBS in NYC. The Ascent of Man. Upstairs, Downstairs. And Python went it came on. They were my great relief when the truly funny and great TV shows of the 1960s gave way to the terrible ones of the 1970 (ABC mostly).

I was long a fan of dark and absurdist comedy, especially the British sort. Peter Sellers, the Beatles Christmas albums, Marty Feldman, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore. (Not to mention the literary works.) I would beg to have my parents let me stay up on any night where there was a late showing of What's New Pussycat, The Touchables, The Loved One or Casino Royale (1967).

So, I was a fan as soon as the show aired, but of all the sketches, the one that threw me to the ground with a laughter pin hold had to be their fantastic send up of The Saint...

THE BISHOP!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 41
Ok I broke italics.

Here

Gurldoggie 42
"Dinsdale!"
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on February 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Atl2Sea 43
"Nobody expects the Inquisition!"
Posted by Atl2Sea on February 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Arrrg, how has no one mentioned the "Beethoven and his mynah bird" sketch? That one was the best.
"Ludwig!! Have you seen the sugar bowl!?!?!?"

Posted by zapfizzle on February 7, 2014 at 1:46 PM · Report this
The Establishment 45
Italia fine?
Posted by The Establishment on February 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Atl2Sea 46
@43 Make that the "Spanish Inquisition"!
Duh.
Posted by Atl2Sea on February 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Alicia 47
A high school friend of mine put on Life of Brian at a party: as disaffected teenage Catholics, it was tailor-made to delight. But what really got me was the bit with Pontius Pilate and his friend Biggus Dickus. Not only because of the ridiculous speech impediment -- though that and a penis joke is High Humor when you're fifteen -- but the canny, bastardish look on Pilate's face while he's deliberately trying to provoke his guards into laughing at him so he can have them fired/tortured/crucified. It's a joke at the expense of a joke. We rewound and watched that scene at least a dozen times.
Posted by Alicia http://aliciaaho.com on February 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
deadrose 48
I apparently tuned in right at the beginning of its run on KCTS. So the one that hooked me was Confuse-a-Cat, Ltd. It just got better from there.
Posted by deadrose on February 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Upper Class Twit of the Year Competition

Prior to that I thought Flying Circus was fun to watch, but after that skit I realized just how many levels they were working on.
Posted by barbara326 on February 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 50
The Lumberjack Song. That's a classic.
Posted by Gern Blanston on February 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM · Report this
treacle 51
I can't remember the first.. but they've been part of my very bloodstream since I was a tyke, right along with Dr. Who (Tom Baker, of course), and Coronation Street (look it up).

The major difference between British and American humor, of course, is that Americans tend to make fun of someone else, and Brits tend to make fun of themselves.
Posted by treacle on February 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM · Report this
psbirch 52
And now, No. @15...The Larch. The...Larch.
Posted by psbirch on February 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM · Report this
"I kicked the ball, Brian. And there is was, in the back of the net."
Posted by DawginExile on February 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM · Report this
I don't remember far enough back to recall a time when I was not a python fan, or which sketch did it for me.

On the other hand, I am very aware that the sketch with which I introduced my impressionable young kids to them was "How Not to Be Seen".
Posted by Mrs B.J. Smegma of 13, The Crescent, Belmont on February 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
"How not to be seen".
Posted by unpaid reader on February 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Ok - slightly off on the quote, but watched it again and it still makes me laugh. Would be fun to redo with a Seahawk....
Posted by DawginExile on February 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
biju 57
Probably some skit which featured graham chapman. Jesus christ, that man was funny
Posted by biju on February 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 58
How thrilled you must have been to see Eric Idle. Just great.

My initiation came when I was eight or nine years old. One night after a Northwest Boyschoir rehearsal during which I was once again not singled out as a star, I turned on channel 9 and there was a little sketch in which a woman sees her husband out the door to work in the morning. The moment she closes the door on him her lover leaps out of the wardrobe in his underwear. It was funny and titillating at the same time, so I was hooked.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on February 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
...the .. larch.

(and the argument sketch)
Posted by slugbiker http://www.seattlescrabble.org on February 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
hillpagan 60
I can;t see video on this contraption. Which was your choice, Goldy?
Posted by hillpagan on February 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM · Report this
rob! 61
No love for Election Night Special?

Shocked, I am.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM · Report this
rob! 62
Still, I ground my teeth more than a few times over the years at the seemingly endless stream of co-workers in different jobs who would soliloquize different bits in falsetto, to no apparent stimulus, over the cube walls/standing at the urinals/down the hall/in the back seat of the car on the way to lunch.

"What is your name and what is your quest?"

"Red! No, blue!"
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 63
@14,

Three, sir!
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Probably "The Spanish Inquisition". My mother was not a huge Python fan, but watching that episode with its recurring bits of "NOBODY EXPECTS..." etc. had her giggling more and more at each iteration...until she literally fell off the couch laughing at the final sting of "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SP...oh, bugger."
Posted by DonServo on February 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM · Report this
@39: "Isn't that right, Flopsy?

"Flopsy?!"

*BANG* of revolver shot

"That'll teach you to play hard-to-get!!"
Posted by DonServo on February 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM · Report this
Fnarf 66
"There's a penguin on the telly."

"I've had more gala luncheons than you've had hot dinners."

Handbags (which has entered the language as slang for "ineffectual fighting").
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM · Report this
"That's not Picasso that's Kandinsky"
Posted by LuisitaPhD on February 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM · Report this
"I'd tax all the people in my bed. No, hold on, not tax...what is the word...what is the word? Ah, right, 'welcome.'"

And, of course, "Oh shit, it's Mr. Creosote." I mean how bad could it possibly be?
Posted by viiless on February 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Nelson Bradley 69
How Not To Be Seen. Political humor at its darkest.
Posted by Nelson Bradley on February 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Griffin 70
The Planets Song is wonderful, but the clip that got me interested involved lots of Keep Left arrows. Holy Grail got me hooked.

The single most bizarre Python moment for me was watching Holy Grail while an exchange student in Hungary. It was subtitled, so the audience of college students would read ahead, starting to laugh before the punchline--I was laughing at them, and then at the correctly timed line in English. They all thought I was nuts and it was great.
Posted by Griffin on February 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM · Report this
The one that made me a lifelong convert was whichever skit I saw first, back in my early teens, in the early 70s. It might well have been the Mexican standoff in the Cheese shop leading into the rousing chorus of "Lemming, of the B.D.A. (It's a man's life, in the British Dental Association)"
Posted by Eric from Boulder on February 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM · Report this
I used to stay up late with my dad and watch Monty Python on PBS (at probably 11 or 12 years old). Sketches that I remember particularly fondly include Self Defense against fruit and The Restaurant Sketch. I guess I really like John Cleese shouting. Oh, and there was one really strange one that's set in a courtroom, and one of the people they call to testify is Cardinal Richelieu ONLY HE IS REALLY A CARDINAL RICHELIEU IMPERSONATOR. Also John Cleese dances and sings about how he'd be an engine driver, were he not before the bar. That was one of the strangest ones, but it caught me.
Posted by Leoba on February 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM · Report this
ferret 73
Confuse a Cat. "The Bishop" sketch had me in stitches..

"Okay, Devious. Don't Move"
Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on February 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM · Report this
The Max 74
Dead Parrot. That's the one that did it for me.
Posted by The Max on February 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM · Report this
seandr 75
Me dad was from England, so I started watching with him when I was pretty young. My earliest memory was the Twit Olympics.
Posted by seandr on February 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM · Report this
As a 30-year-old, I came to Python well after they had completed their run and my (and many others') love started with Holy Grail. The moment at which I realized they were true geniuses, however, was when I watched the first episode of Flying Circus. The Funniest Joke In the World is fucked in its brilliance.

Posted by Faber on February 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Crunchy Frog on an LP I bought in about 1978 when I was 14.
Posted by Mike Friedman on February 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM · Report this
Either "The Argument Clinic" or "Self Defense Against Fresh Fruit."

"When you're walkin' home tonight and some homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come cryin' to me!"

Posted by bobbyjoe on February 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 79
the 'matching tie and handkerchief' three-sided album. 'oh, don't be so sentimental, mother, people explode every day.'
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Amalink 80
I met a girl named Lupine many years ago. We became friends immediately when I asked her if her name was like the flower in the Roger Moore sketch instead of like so many people before her if it was like wolf.
Posted by Amalink on February 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM · Report this
I am bookmarking this post, because I have a late night on youtube ahead of me. Thank you, thank you all for reminding me of so many great skits!!!

I, too, can't really remember the one that first got me hooked on Monty Python. I was pretty young when it was played on PBS, but my dad was a huge fan and let me up late to watch it, and my mom didn't think it was appropriate for a nine year old, so it was already high in my book then! My earliest memory of really belly-roll laughing was the Upper Class Twit race, which was so dark and over my little head but SO absurd!
Posted by E.L.C. on February 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM · Report this
'Now, I've had the managing director of Conquistador to see me this morning and he's very unhappy with your campaign. Very unhappy. In fact, he shot himself.'

'Badly, sir?'

'No, extremely well.'

*Lifts up corpse's leg from behind the desk*
Posted by Avi on February 7, 2014 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Also, 'Politicians: An Apology'. Because it's always true.

Posted by Avi on February 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 84
Dear gawd. When I was in junior high school (what you youngsters now call "Middle School", I believe) me and my friends stayed up until eleven PM (usually by faking going to bed when our parents did, then sneaking downstairs to the television room) so we could watch 'The Benny Hill Show'. We thought the jokes were hilarious, but we really lived for the cheesecake- a slice of tit here, a bit of tush there.

Then we discovered 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'. The same weird humor that we suffered through, just for the occasional bare boob.

And one evening, this.

"Wot's that penguin doin' on the telebishion set, then?"
"Standin."
"I can see that, but wot's it doin' there?"
"I suppose it came from the zoo."
"No it dinnit, if it did it would have 'Property of the Zoo' stamped on it."
"No it wouldn't! You can't stamp a huge lion 'Property of the Zoo'!"
"They stamp them when they're small!"
"What about when they molt?"
"Lions don't molt!"
"No, but penguins do! There! I run rings 'round you, logically"
"BUGGER THE PENGUIN ON THE TELLY!"
Announcer: "Well it's just after ten pee emm, and time for the penguin on your television set to explode."
*BOOM!*
"How did 'e know that was goin' to 'appen?"
Announcer: "It was an inspired guess."

Forty years later, and I can still (mostly) recall the entire thing.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM · Report this
Jerry M. Ander 85
I'm with @16 Spam,The Argument Clinic & The Lumberjack Song on Dr.Demento did it for me. I was hooked.

When I saw Flying Circus, I added the Upper Class English Twit of the Year, The Fish Slapping Dance and the Dead Parrot. Great memories of nerd bonding in Jr high & high school.
Posted by Jerry M. Ander on February 8, 2014 at 12:11 AM · Report this
sirkowski 86
Took me a while to remember, but it was Meaning of Life.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 8, 2014 at 12:39 AM · Report this
the one where Graham Chapman's a farmer who's sheep are trying to learn to fly. specifically, it was Terry Jones' line "Those are sheep, aren't they? Only, why are they up in the trees?"
I still remember being in high school, going over to my friend Anthony's house, I had been curious about Monty Python, and he had taped that episode off PBS.
Posted by Rev. Andrew on February 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM · Report this
William of Seattle 88
Ministry of Funny Walks; Cleese's deadpan while doing outrageous physical moves is choice.
Posted by William of Seattle on February 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM · Report this
@87: "Notice that they do not so much fly, as plummet."
Posted by DonServo on February 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM · Report this
@84: The accurate line is "OH, INTERCOURSE THE PENGUIN!" Not bieng pedantic, it's just a lot funnier.
Posted by DonServo on February 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM · Report this
The Most Awful Family in Britain (parts I and II). Amazing that now, it is a reality show.

More beans Mah!
Posted by fungus on February 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM · Report this
"And now, it is time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode."

Until I finally bought a flat-screen, I ALWAYS kept a penguin on top of my television set, and it was great fun when occasionally someone would realize why.
Posted by A. Towne on February 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM · Report this
sissoucat 93
I saw "life of Brian" and loved it.
Posted by sissoucat on February 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM · Report this
The vicious gangs of Keep Left signs.
Posted by skycrashesdown on February 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM · Report this
@65
"There! Poor Flopsy's dead, and never called me mother."
Posted by zapfizzle on February 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM · Report this
treacle 96
I take it back, it was The Funniest Joke in the World.
Posted by treacle on February 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 97
The fish slapping dance.
Posted by Sea Otter on February 10, 2014 at 4:57 AM · Report this
Sea Otter 98
Actually, it was probably "How Not To Be Seen." The fish slapping dance made me laugh the hardest though.
Posted by Sea Otter on February 10, 2014 at 5:01 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 99
I couldn't say which one, because I started seeing them so young (like age 6 or 7 in the mid 70s). I know that the one with John Cleese as the really stupid boxer boxing a little girl made me laugh uncontrollably for about five minutes.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 10, 2014 at 5:47 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 100
As far as seeing Eric Idle live, he performed at the Paramount back in 2000. I was in attendance but I guess Goldy was not.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Gospodean 101
@96, That's what I was going to say.

The little British folk, gathered 'round the wireless, listening to what the Germans thought would kill anyone listening: "Two peanuts vere valking down ze strasse. Und vun was a salted. Peanut. Ahahahahaha *thud* " ...and the Brits gaze at each other quizzically.

Also: "It's all in a day's work for...Confuse-a-Cat!"
Posted by Gospodean on February 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM · Report this
I just had a conversation with a 20 something who saw The Meaning of Life for the first time last week, when I saw it in the theater upon release.
I had been introduced during the hours long marathons on PBS in which my brother and I would watch until we could not keep our eyes open one more minute. In my recent conversation, I started singing Every Sperm is Sacred, while recalling college- where I sat at a table of Python lovers who would discuss Mr Creosote because there was a bucket near our table. We only had regulars join us for meals- all others were too disgusted to listen to our recitations.
Though the Meaning of Life was a big part of my late adolescence, the compilation of shorts shown at the Harvard Exit circa 1980, the Dr Demento broadcasts in the 70's and the albums that were material for memorization that last to this day all contributed to my love of the absurd that Monty Python provided.
Posted by mentalsherpa on February 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM · Report this