Friday, February 7, 2014

Conservatives Send Death Threats to Five-Year-Old Girl Because They Believe in Family Values

Posted by on Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Miles Klee at the Daily Dot writes:

Proving once again that they have sensible priorities in addition to the moral high ground, conservatives against same-sex marriage are using social media to threaten Mia Talerico, a 5-year-old Disney star—in some cases with gruesome death. Violent Instagram messages from one particularly deranged individual have prompted an official police investigation.

Talerico’s offense, it turns out, lies in playing the eponymous lead on the Disney Channel’s Good Luck Charlie, which recently became the first sitcom on that network to introduce a gay couple into its cast of characters.

What is the thought process here? "I want to protect children from gay propaganda, so I'm going to threaten the life of this five-year-old actor?" Or is it more like "Jesus is telling me that Mia Talerico is the Antichrist?" No rational mind can be behind this kind of action, can it?

Urgutha Forka 1
What is the thought process here?
There is none. These people don't think.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM · Report this
sasha 2
WWTTD
What would the Taliban Do?
Posted by sasha on February 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
I don't think our criminal code has severe enough penalties for shit like this. Death threats? By adults? To kindergartners?

Stuff like this challenges my intellectual commitment to nonviolence. Emotionally, I want to pick up a tire iron and.... sigh... never mind.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM · Report this
This is terrible, but here's a fun aside: AfterEllen (the lesbians / bi women media site) did a story on this and the one million moms (all six of 'em) found the story and made nasty comments. So the comments section turned into a bit of a fight between the lesbians and the moms. Kind of funny.
Posted by TimesTwo on February 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Disgusting cowardice.
Posted by judybrowni on February 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 6
@4 Do you have a link to that?

It seems very worthy to publicly point out the 'One Million Moms' being total hypocrites.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM · Report this
fletc3her 7
Violent threats from religious extremists prove that gay adoption is dangerous to the children just like violent threats against health care providers prove that abortion is dangerous. You could get blown up by a crazy person!
Posted by fletc3her on February 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM · Report this
treacle 8
No, it's not rational at all. And not worth trying to parse rationally.
Rationality isn't encouraged. Its actively discouraged, in order to cultivate hyper-emotional followers who will jump and freak out at all the right social triggers... and vote Republican.

<sarcasm> There's a downside to doing that --creating hyper-emotional followers-- but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. </sarcasm>
Posted by treacle on February 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Right....

First, I hope the LAPD identifies and prosecutes anyone who could ever address anyone, but especially a child, this way.

But a couple deranged people (who don't mention gay so called marriage or Million Moms, fyi) don't define everyone who oppose gay so called marriage.

You're a crack journalist, Constant. Sorry, that should have read 'you're on crack and in no way a journalist Constant.'
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Are we sure it was because of the gay thing? I think we've all thought about sending this type of message to childstars, Disney and other.

We don't do it! but the impulse is not unknown to otherwise normal people I shouldn't think. It's important not to judge I guess is what I'm saying.
Posted by Agrippa on February 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM · Report this
@7

Please cite the comment mentioning religion. I'll wait.

What? You just made that up? Huh!
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM · Report this
@8

Oh please. There's nothing to liberal thought but hyper emotional wishful thinking. Oh, and buying votes with giving away taxpayer money to various 'victims'.

And as before I'll wait while you cite the deranged message that mentioned conservatives, Republicans, religion- well really anything but some sick person wishing violence to a child.
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM · Report this
@12, nah, this guy is just you people in a nutshell.

You're all awful human beings.
Posted by GermanSausage on February 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 14
Of course Seattleblues would be in here ASAP to distance himself from this totally-true-Scotsman.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Again, Constant lying about an already misleading article proves what about the conservative, Republican, pro marriage and family or faith based? That Paul Constant is a lying POS? I know, that's a job requirement at the Stranger, but what's your excuse?

If the anti family, anti marriage, anti faith, anti American types on your side are right, why must they lie to support their beliefs?
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM · Report this
@14

Oh! You're the fellow with the cites! Well, what comment from one of these deranged people mentions anything about conservatives, gay marriage or Million Moms?
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Sorry Auntie Seattleblues On Million Moms is behind stoking the fire that led to those death threats.

And yep sure enough so are other conservative Christian groups.

Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council is stoking the fire as well. As is Peter LaBarbera of the American Family Association.

So yeah Auntie Seattleblues you and your friends are cheer leading death threats against 5yr olds. You own this one girlfriend accept it. You can't wash it off.

Posted by Machiavelli was framed on February 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 18
@16 - How about you tell me where anybody here is "anti family, anti marriage, anti faith, anti American"?

Please show your work.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM · Report this
rob! 19
@6, here, if you haven't found it already.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM · Report this
@17

Since gender identification is so hard for you, I'm not surprised reading comprehension is as well.

Protesting a show and writing despicable messages to children are not the same thing.

So you and @18, which of these deranged messages mention gay marraige, Christianity, conservatives or the Republican party. Or Tony Perkins or Million Moms come to that.

See, deflection and ad hominem attacks, or Stranger 'journalists' lying for that matter, don't provide that link. It's called reality. You should try it sometime.
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 21
Fascism filled death camps with millions of women and children. Hatred and contempt is at the core of right wing ideology.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 22
@20 - If people here are refusing to accede to your demands for citation, it's because nobody here respects you, and nobody here is interested in trying to impress or convince you of anything. Sorry to tell you like this, you repulsive piece of shit.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on February 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this
@21 Indeed. It is also not surprising that Auntie Seattleblues twists herself into knots trying to avoid facing the fact that the hatred and contempt she holds and exposes towards gays and lesbian encourages death threats to 5 yr. olds.

Auntie Seattleblues, girlfriend, wash all you want the stench will still be there. It's yours you own it, it is your stench.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on February 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Look, I'd really caution against reading too much into these death threats. They say less about the movement that spawned it than I think most people are imagining. Yes, it's vile, but you'd better believe that Michelle Malkin receives all sorts of vile threats herself, and the fact that she herself is a vile human being doesn't excuse it. I worry I'm arguing too much false equivalence here -- I don't know of any left-wing trolls threatening a fucking child, and I suspect if we were just to measure on volume, right-wing hate would exponentially outweigh its counterpart -- but all these death threats do for me is remind that there are a lot of awful fucking people in the world.

And does it even matter? The gay rights/gay acceptance movement has the moral high ground regardless.

Okay, concern troll off.
Posted by MisterBadIdea on February 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 25
@24 Malkin isn't a child. Physically, anyway.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM · Report this
@22

Your desperation to justify an unjustifiable lie by Constant is really all I need to know. Insults coming from someone so without integrity are akin to the sincerest compliments of a decent human being.

Thank you for that and the de facto admission of your contempt for truth and integrity. Americans need to know the stakes are that high. It's either your depraved attacks on family, marriage and faith or the support of those by worthwhile Americans.

@21

The hatred and contempt you read into my words say more about you than I. It doesn't exist in the words but in your permanent state of self defined victimhood.

And keep up the childish taunting. It's all you've got. And that's really very sad.
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
COMTE 29
Where is Raindrip with more of their "show some compassion for violent morons" they were talking about in an earlier thread?
Posted by COMTE on February 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 30
@28 Interesting. I don't remember even mentioning you because I seldom even read what you say. So you saw yourself in my words and your response was perfect in illustrating my point.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
@30

Sorry to disappoint you. I never read what you write, or rather what some far left blog wrote and you repeat.

My post was meant for @23, when she/he/it was agreeing with your post.
Posted by Seattleblues on February 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
venomlash 32
@11: An explicitly religious anti-gay group publicized opposition to this episode with the gay people in it. Shortly thereafter, death threats show up. It's a reasonable inference, and a lot more grounded in fact than much of what you post.

Seattleblues, before you go demanding empirical rigor of people, I suggest you explain your comments that:
-there is no such thing as a transsexual,
-homosexuality is a disease, and
-taxation is theft
You don't seem to care about facts or evidence when you're the ones in need of them...
Posted by venomlash on February 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM · Report this
venomlash 33
@31: If one of us is simply reposting things from a different blog, a simple Google search will tell the truth as to a post's presumable origin. I've caught people copy-pasting stuff from Stormfront that way.
Got any evidence that Pope Peabrain has done that?
Posted by venomlash on February 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM · Report this
I so love my Auntie Seattleblues she so consistently proves me right. Thanks girlfriend.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on February 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 35

Obviously NOT rational. It's similar to the screaming fundies' backlash against the It Gets Better Project aka the It Gets Worse diatribes where they urged LBGT teens to go ahead and kill themselves and go straight to Hell! Why? Well, because these kids were no longer innocents. I believe the fundies have just transposed that sort of illogic to this situation. As the little girl is playing a character around people playing gay characters (is that correct?), she's been exposed to the concept of homsexuality and tainted by the tolerance. Which has compromised her innocence. So, just get rid of her. Because it's not enough merely to hate, fundies need to obliterate!
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on February 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM · Report this
Knat 36
@9: An entire MIT physics department would be required to calculate - expressing their findings in AUs - just how far from witty you are.

On the plus side, you insult people like my conservative Catholic mother, so that's pretty hilarious.
Posted by Knat on February 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM · Report this
This is the republican voter base. boner and mcconell are appealing to these ignorant, poor southerners to think that Disney is now promoting gay people! Boycott Disney, let's all move to Utah where men are men and the women do all the work, you can even have a 15 year old wife! What a bunch of ignorant neanderthals.
Posted by longwayhome on February 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM · Report this
Y.F. Redux 38
Please tell me someone will actually track these witless dolts down and at the very least out and shame them.
Posted by Y.F. Redux on February 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM · Report this