Thursday, February 6, 2014

Coke's Getting Into the Soda-at-Home Business

Posted by on Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Yesterday's announced partnership between Coca-Cola and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters will soon pay off in one dramatic way:

As part of the strategic collaboration, [Green Mountain] will be The Coca-Cola Company’s exclusive partner for the production and sale of The Coca-Cola Company-branded single-serve, pod-based cold beverages.

I stopped drinking Coke products about six months ago—I had a baaaaaaaad Diet Coke habit—and when it comes to soda, I almost exclusively drink carbonated water from my Sodastream nowadays. But I don't use the crappy proprietary Sodastream flavors; why trade up one sugary syrup for another? Instead, I add fresh fruit juice to my soda water. It's a hell of a lot more refreshing, and once you get sugary sodas out of your system, it tastes a lot better, too. But I'm sure these single-serving Coke pods™ will be cheaper than a bottle of Coke, and I'm also sure that plenty of Americans have been dreaming of having a proprietary Coke soda fountain in their homes for years. This feels like a deepening in the long-running relationship between Big Soda and the American people.

Fifty-Two-Eighty 1
Geez, I honestly can't remember the last time I had any kind of soda pop. Ten years, maybe? Needless to say, nothing they do will affect me in the slightest.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on February 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM · Report this
NotSean 2
@1 nya nya nya.
Posted by NotSean on February 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 3
Paul, if you switched from Diet Coke to carbonated water with fruit juice, then you added sugar.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM · Report this
@1: Well then, at least you were able to use this thread to feed your sense of superiority if nothing else.
Posted by MRM on February 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM · Report this
The controversy surrounding products (Sodastream) manufactured in occupied territories (in violation of international law) of course doesn't appear on Paul Constant's radar.
Posted by anon1256 on February 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM · Report this
mkyorai 6
@3 Maybe. It depends on how dilute the fruit juice is. Sodasteam will only carbonate water, not juice, so even assuming he's diluting it by 50% (50% carbonated water, 50% fruit juice) he's probably still cutting his sugar down. Or removing aspartame, which evidently gives some people trouble.
Posted by mkyorai on February 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 7
@3 yes, trading caffeine for sugar maybe?

I find it difficult to imagine how a single serve pod could cost much less than a pre-bottled soda, which are already pretty inexpensive.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on February 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 8
@6 Diet Coke has no sugar; so regardless of dilution fruit juice sparkle water has more.

... but this all misses the key point that Diet Coke is disgusting, unlike the magical unicorn tears deliciousness of Coke Zero.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on February 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM · Report this
ScandalMgr 9
@5, Paul's and ScarJo.have something in common. Is there more there than we know?
Posted by ScandalMgr on February 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM · Report this
AmyC 10
When my dad quit drinking 25 years ago, he replaced beer with what he called "juice coolers" - carbonated water and non-citrus juice, usually apple juice. That's what I grew up with for a non-tap-water/"treat" beverage, and soda/pop has never tasted all that good to me. I got my own Soda Stream about a year ago, and I love that I'm not going through so many cans/bottles of carbonated water anymore.
Posted by AmyC on February 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM · Report this
ScandalMgr 11
@10 While its great that you have convenient carbonated water, it's time for all those who believe in civil rights to get on board w the growing boycott of Israeli' companies doing business in the West Bank.

Posted by ScandalMgr on February 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM · Report this
rob! 12
If all you're doing is carbonated water and fruit juice, you don't need SodaStream anyway—just invest in an old-fashioned seltzer bottle and a box of CO₂ cartridges.

My favorite non-winter bevvie is half seltzer, half decent cranberry juice (the 100%-juice [although most is apple], no-corn-syrup kind), half a packet of Splenda.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM · Report this
BOYCOTT SODASTREAM!!!
Posted by BOYCOTT SODASTREAM on February 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 14
Apparently, non-sugar alternatives trick the body in ways that I don't understand and that it's much healthier just to consume cane sugar, honey, or fructose.

I love the Pepsi with cane sugar from Mexico.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM · Report this
spaceapple 15
I add fruit juice to my Sodastream water, too! I recommend pomegranate
Posted by spaceapple on February 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM · Report this
BostonFontSnob 16
@12 This is correct, an old-fashioned soda siphon will do the trick for a lot less money(and they are more fun to use), but then again, with a Sodastream you can make shit WAY fizzier than a soda siphon.
(I'm too chickenshit to try doubling up the CO2 with my seltzer bottle, the manufacturer warns against doing so.)

Also pro-tip for home soda enthusiasts: if you prefer club soda to regular seltzer, dissolve a pinch of baking soda in the water beforehand.
Posted by BostonFontSnob on February 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 17
@11,

I guess you'll be glad to know that Sodastream is opening a much bigger plant within Israel proper.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 18
@12, 16- how long will a CO2 seltzer bottle hold a charge? If I used it only once or twice a week would all the CO2 leak out in the few days between using it?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on February 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM · Report this
@17, I'm thinking @11 (and I) will only be happy if the factory is in an Israel that has been persuaded by the boycott and the resilient resistance of Palestinians to become a state with equal rights for all its inhabitants.
Posted by Linda J on February 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 20
@19,

Don't you mean two states?
Posted by keshmeshi on February 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM · Report this
BostonFontSnob 21
@18 Never been an issue with mine—the stuff stays fizzy a long time.
Posted by BostonFontSnob on February 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM · Report this