Monday, February 3, 2014

Teenage Girl Comes Out to Her Classmates...

Posted by on Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM

...and is prosecuted and found guilty:

According to several media sources, Russian Juvenile Court in the city of Bryansk found a 9th grade school girl guilty of violating Putin’s anti-gay laws by publicly admitting her sexual identity in front of her school mates. This is the first incident of applying such law to minors. The girl identity is not revealed by the journalists to protect her privacy, however, 9th grade students are typically between 14-16 years old. The local Russian Juvenile Court was unable to open a criminal investigation case, however, they put the “offender” on their registry list along with other juvenile offenders.... Russian LGBT news portal Lesbiru.com reported that the 9th grader ended up in the hospital recently with a severe head injury allegedly as a result of the homophobic attack from the victim’s father.

rob! 1
Have you posted/tweeted anything yet about Lambda Legal's taking up the case of transgender widow Robina Asti? It kind of takes up where the Windsor case leaves off.

Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Boycott Sochi.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on February 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM · Report this
The 9th grader suffered a "homophobic attack from the victim’s father."

Who was the "victim"?
Posted by fubar on February 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 4
Hanoumatoi, I normally hate people telling me what to do, but you do it with such brief elegance. Yes Master, I will obey you.
Posted by dnt trust me on February 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
fletc3her 5
Everything about this law is terrible. Fuck the Olympics and all their sponsors for aiding and abetting this abuse.
Posted by fletc3her on February 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
The girl was attacked by her own father after the juvenile authorities outed her. If the Russian sources I read are correct, she wasn't out at school or at home, but she came to their attention because she posted about her orientation and LGBT issues on VK (Russian Facebook.)
Posted by asjuha on February 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Yeah, that law really protects the kids so well. It sure worked for her. I would sure love it if somebody could expose Putin as a closet gay. Seems like the only fair and just outcome of this putrid law.
Posted by SeattleKim on February 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM · Report this
It could just be bad wording but I'm assuming it was the girl's father. Fuck the Olympics indeed, I won't be watching. I love how my local news station and NBC are pretty much ignoring the situation over there.
Posted by arachnar on February 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 9
I don't think I can bring myself to watch these games. It would be like tuning into the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin.
Posted by Gern Blanston on February 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM · Report this
For the record, I don't begrudge the amateurs who go to Sochi their exposure. I do think that professional hockey players should skip it, but for speedskaters, biathletes, and especially female ski jumpers, this is the chance of a lifetime. That said, I hereby pledge not to watch a minute of the Olympics in any manner which can enrich those not participating.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on February 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Rotten666 11
So what's the realpolitik for this law? Putin cozying up to the orth. church to shore up his popular support with Ivan Sixpack?

Or are these guys just a bunch of assholes?
Posted by Rotten666 on February 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM · Report this
aliencoffebandit 12
@11 both. there's also a case to be made that Putin is a closet case. and maybe thinks about the kids a little too much
Posted by aliencoffebandit on February 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM · Report this
I'm not clear on whom they mean by "victim."
Posted by DRF on February 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Won't be watching or buying any Olympic stuff.
Posted by longwayhome on February 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM · Report this
LEE. 16
@9

you mean the Games where Jesse Owens, an African American, trounced Germany and made the concept of the Aryan Superman look foolish? yeah, God forbid...
Posted by LEE. on February 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM · Report this
And the official document about the offense also says, "because she didn't sexually assault her classmates, no criminal proceedings shall be opened." The news reports I read though conveniently don't mention the hospital part.
Posted by puddles on February 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 18
I'm wondering whether the authorities will focus on pressuring her to reveal who or what so-called propaganda turned her gay. After all, it's not as if she came by the orientation naturally. Sigh.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on February 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM · Report this