Friday, January 31, 2014

House Passes Statewide Paid Sick Days Bill

Posted by on Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:12 PM

If you're sick, you can stay the fuck home and still get paid!

This week, the House of Representatives passed HB 1313, establishing minimum standards for earned paid sick time, protecting the 1 million Washington workers who do not currently have paid sick leave. Employees will accrue 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked (or every 30 hours if the employer has more than 250 full-time employees). This bill will probably impact people in the food service and retail industries the most, since Washington currently has approximately 190,000 people working in both of those areas, all with limited access to sick leave.

Other states and cities are working to institute paid sick leave bills, some with great success. San Francisco has had sick day laws since 2007, and even during the height of the recession 1 in 4 employees said they were better able to care for their families. Newark, the other Washington, and New York City have all moved forward with paid sick leave laws, and

One of the coolest aspects of Washington's bill is that paid sick leave would also cover taking time off to care for relatives, and it would allow you to take paid sick time to cope with the consequences of domestic abuse, sexual assault, or stalking. From the press release:

Under HB 1313, employees will accrue 1 hour of paid sick leave time for every 40 hours worked or for every 30 hours worked if their employer has over 250 full-time employees. Workers may use sick and safe time for their own illness or injury, diagnosis or preventative care, or for the health needs of a child, spouse, domestic partner, parent-in-law or grandparent. Workers may also use sick and safe time to cope with the consequences of domestic abuse, sexual assault or stalking.

The Washington Work and Family Coalition notes that "the laws have had small to no impact on business costs, hiring, or location decisions," so take heart, employers—this really is good for everyone.

(Thank you for the infographics, Maggie!)

seatackled 1
This is horrible. Immigrant businesses will be devastated, and Dave Meinert will have to close his restaurants or at least lay off most of his employees.
Posted by seatackled on January 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 3
So no exemption for small businesses (say less than ten employees)?

If I'd read this a couple hours earlier I'd have asked my red-state brother-in-law how he feels. He gets zero paid time off but on principle he likely opposes this. Because, capitalism! Or some shit.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Jerry M. Ander 4
Great news! Thanks Danielle.
Posted by Jerry M. Ander on January 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM · Report this
This is big for temps. Lot of young people on contracted work don't get PTO.
Posted by shadyjaye on January 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM · Report this
@1 - I've read the legislation and it looks all good to me. It's very similar to the Seattle law, which I supported wholeheartedly.

The only issue I would make with it is the exemption for collective bargaining agreements. That allows for abuse, and lets big labor and big business make deals that aren't good for all the workers, especially women. But except for that, I hope the State passes this.
Posted by Meinert on January 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 8
I'm sick now and work in Seattle...and I didn't ask my employer for SHIT. Even though I'm far from rich I can still take care of myself. I'm just angry that money is being taken out of my check for this...AND I HAVE NO OPTION OF OPTING OUT!
If you want this, fine, let some money be taken out of your check every week for it. But why force me to pay into something I refuse to use?

When I was twenty and just left the house, my father sent me a check for $200. I never cashed it and let it expire, because I prefer to take care of myself. The corporate-owned state on the other hand, they want to MAKE ME accept their handouts and use force to try to make me dependent on them. It's absurd.

I'm NOT SAYING things like paid sick leave shouldn't be on the books, all I'm saying is that those of us who don't want it should be able to have an option of opting out, just as we should be able to opt out of Social Security.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on January 31, 2014 at 2:00 PM · Report this
@8 You're a disease vector. Way to infect everyone around you. Jerk.
Posted by wxPDX on January 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM · Report this
collectivism_sucks 10
@9
Ahhh, I'm home sick right now. I just didn't ask my employer to pay me. The paid sick leave thing has to be requested by the worker, and I didn't make the request so I'm home on my own dime. Even though I didn't ask for the sick leave money and never will, it's still taken out of my check. Just like I won't live long enough to collect social security (I plan on dying by the time I hit 60 or offing myself before than because I'm terrified of getting old) but I'm still taxed for it.

Again, I'm fine with this law. I just wish it had an option to opt out.
Posted by collectivism_sucks on January 31, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
So, it passed the (majority democrat controlled) House and then needs to get voted on in the Senate (somewhat republican controlled) and then signed before it's enacted... but it's a good first step for the bill that could become a law.
Posted by ChefJoe on January 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM · Report this
DOUG. 12
@7: Yeah, like "big labor" is out to screw workers like big business is. Equated the two is bullshit.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on February 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM · Report this