Thursday, January 30, 2014

Marshawn Lynch vs. the Press

Posted by on Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Those who follow the Seahawks further than the end of the last few games will remember that this season the NFL threatened to fine Lynch for not talking to the press enough. (It's part of the contract.) Idiot 12th Men initially started to raise funds to help him pay the fine, but eventually the NFL retracted. It seems, though, that they still got what they wanted, as Lynch is now complying.

The results are gold, mainly because he's evidently refusing to answer stupid questions, or elsewhere answering them with point-blank directness. He's a person of few words, and you can't miss the genuine anguish on his face during the above interview, but he's basically vocalizing the thoughts that you or me or anyone in his position would have flashing through their mind when propositioned with such drivel.

Normally with a sports interview, you can play Count the Sports Cliché, but if you play it with these interviews, the count is gloriously low. Confidential to Lynch: I can tell it's painful, but please keep talking to the press, because it's refreshingly honest and way more interesting than an average sports interview will ever be.

Unsurprisingly, the press are responding with butt-hurt and alarmist headlines. Below is an interview with Deion Sanders from a few days back, featuring the phrase will surely become his calling card: "I'm just about that action, boss."

Max Solomon 1
he's painfully shy, not "snubbing" you, sports press.

let marshawn be marshawn. boss.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
Players are told by smart coaches to be "bland and boring" in front of the media. Some players take heed, some do not. They guys who tell you nothing and spout sports cliches are doing it right, believe it or not.

In other news, Lynch just landed a deal with Skittles, and they are releasing a special Seattle mix to honor Lynch/the team. Five different shades of gray!

(I kid, I kid)
Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM · Report this
Marshawn's press interviews should always be done through the intermediary of Bad Lipreading. It would be entertaining, and neither more nor less informative than any other bland, pointless NFL interview.
Posted by originalcinner on January 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM · Report this
care bear 4
The remix is the greatest thing to happen this week.
Posted by care bear on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM · Report this
In general, every famous person should be seen more and heard less...
Posted by Sterno on January 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM · Report this
lark 6
Agree. It's got to be uncomfortable to deal with a press that insists on posing foolish questions. Especially at the Super Bowl. There's intense worldwide scrutiny.

Alas, it is in the contract. Every professional athlete must know that. Most I suppose, deal with the interviews with aplomb. I genuinely try to avoid watching and listening to them as they largely are inane.
Posted by lark on January 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM · Report this
The video with Robinson is the funniest sports interview I've ever seen.
Posted by The CHZA on January 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Oh, lord, I adore that man. What a refreshing change.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on January 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM · Report this
seattlestew 9
I love Rich Eisen's "apology" for Lynch going "Beast Mode on FCC regulations" at the beginning of the interview w/ Deion Sanders when he said he liked Deion's "shit" in reference to Deion's clothing. These chicken-shit media members are afraid of their own shadows. The NFL Network is a cable channel that people pay for, so anyone can say whatever they want on the network, especially when it's spontaneous content they have no control over. Do you want him to speak to the media or not, you stupid, hypocritical fucks? "There is something wrong with you if you will not speak to us on our sterilized, mindless, unoriginal terms."
Posted by seattlestew on January 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM · Report this
Per Bernstein 10
Think before you rock yo' mouth
Park your tongue and lip
Watch who you talkin' round
Never know who you're havin' dinner with
Ain't got nothing good to say
Don't say nothin' at all
That's what I was told
That's what I was taught when I was small..

E-40 "Tell It Like It Is"
Posted by Per Bernstein on January 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
kid icarus 11
@4 - Could not agree more.
Posted by kid icarus http://absintheandoranges.com/ on January 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 12
I don't mean "LEAVE MARSHAWN LYNCH ALONE!" I mean, just leave him the fuck alone. Journalists can be such assholes sometimes.
Posted by kk in seattle on January 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM · Report this
maxk 13
Maybe the football writers should emulate Deion Sanders and try to make Marshawn feel comfortable and talk to him on his terms.
Posted by maxk on January 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Greg today, Gone tomorrow 14
For the first time in my life I have a favorite sports figure.
Posted by Greg today, Gone tomorrow on January 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM · Report this
@14 - I'm almost with you. But I'm old enough to remember Joe Kapp who was the ultimate badass interview and pretty much all-around badass. Marshawn is very close though.
Posted by NeitherThisNorThat on January 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM · Report this
notaboomer 16
it would be interesting if a reporter asked these two if theyve read league of denial or if they are worried about brain damage from football?
Posted by notaboomer on January 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM · Report this