Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Trust, But Verify

Posted by on Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Seen while biking past a church property in Seattle:

godbig.png

godsmall.png

If only big churches were as adamantly transparent about what happens inside their institutions...

I don't know, St. Marks does a lot of homeless outreach. I don't think you can blame them for ensuring their ability to keep doing their work and protect their employees/parishioners.
Posted by Thunderbird on January 29, 2014 at 8:16 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 2
Zing! Big churches, am I right? Everybody go to a small church, OK?
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Hmm... which reminds me that I haven't been to their a capella night in years. Kind of miss that.
Posted by CPN on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 AM · Report this

@ 1. I'm not knocking St. Mark's. I was kind of hoping people (especially Sloggers outside Seattle) wouldn't be able to identify where that photo was taken. But you had to go and ruin it for everyone!

Posted by Brendan Kiley on January 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
The religious never really trust God to mete out the punishment He promises in the Bible.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
If god didn't want those cars there, couldn't he/she just miracle them out of the parking lot?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 7
@4.. when i moved here from chicago, sometime in the late half of the last century, that place was open 24/7. you could go in and sit, or sleep or do pretty much whatever you wanted. i took mushrooms twice and wandered in in the middle of the night. i used to think it was the coolest thing about seattle ( along with the ability to ride in the front seat of cabs or the lack of bulletproof glass pretty much everywhere ) and then i went during a late night stroll and discovered it locked. i called and asked why and they said you wouldn't believe the kinds of things that people started doing in there.i think some of it involved feces. if they've gone from locked doors to camera surveillance, i would guess they really need it.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on January 29, 2014 at 9:07 AM · Report this
That's not St . Marks, but at the Episcopal Diocese office next door.
Posted by klassy with a k on January 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM · Report this
I remember going into an unnamed church in Bellevue in the late '60's. It was quiet,I slept, I smoked pot, I'm not sure if I talked to
God but I'm sure he knew I was there. I respected the facility and the good feeling I got when I was there.
Posted by longwayhome on January 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM · Report this