Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Sea-Tac Dialectic

Posted by on Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM

There is only one dialectic in this region, and it is between Tacoma and Seattle. No dialectic exists between Seattle and the other two—Everett and Bellevue. As a consequence these locations are unconscious. There is no consciousness (as in self-awareness) without a dialect. There can be an emanation, a pure glow that gradually diminishes into the thoughtless night (this is simply being there). But to be conscious there must be more than being just there; there must be a reflection: Seattle recognizes Tacoma and Tacoma recognizes Seattle. The name of this awareness is found in the name of our international airport and its location.

20121226_164657.jpg
  • Mudede In A Bolt Bus Passing Tacoma

rob! 1
Do they have cahn frittuhs in Tacomer?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM · Report this
lark 2
Good Morning Charles,
Well, I think I follow you.

I do find some combo-geographic (my word) names charming. Sea-Tac is one of them. Where I grew up, there was Oak-Wyn Toy & Hobby Shop signifying the border of two towns, Oak Park & Berwyn IL.

Sea-Tac stands to reason largely because the airport that services two cities with > 100,000 is roughly equidistant between them.
Posted by lark on January 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM · Report this
I think this post may be the most Mudede that ever was Mudeded, perhaps even that ever can be Mudeded. There is no need for anyone to Mudede in future; the heights of Mudede have been scaled.
Posted by Warren Terra on January 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM · Report this
treacle 4
What? No dialectic between Seattle-B'vue or Sea-Everett? You're joking.
Do you not consider the incredible daily commuter traffic a form of "communication" between those places? Giant arteries of human and physical commerce, echoed and paralleled by the enormous data pipelines of Microsoft and the incredible digital communication lines around and between us? (Redmond, Bellevue, same thing). Kemper 'Free'man's rants against I-90 light rail so at to keep the poors out of his precious lily-white Square? The fact that Bellevue only exists because we ran out of space here on our peninsula? Etc etc etc.

In other, "Sea-Tac" is one of the dumbest airport names in the country. It's a linguistic embarrassment, frankly.
Posted by treacle on January 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM · Report this
I am Chas. I am unconscious, though terribly self-aware. I intentionally write pithy and pointless takes. You read them, then you are unconscious. But I am read, therefore I am.
Posted by menace2society on January 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM · Report this
I agree entirely with Charles here. It always pained me as a kid growing up in Everett how much the true back-and-forth in our regional conversation was between Tacoma and Seattle. Sure, rationally I realized that Tacoma was slightly larger and more important than Everett. But we had roughly the same sort of population, infrastructure, and distance from Seattle. I bemoaned the absence of a visceral dialectic between us and Seattle. I've never really been able to put my finger on it, but I don't think Charles has yet to precisely do so either.
Posted by bradl on January 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM · Report this